An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Holy Father's Intentions

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart: the salvation of souls, reparation for sin, and the reunion of all Christians.

BarbTherese

CORRECTION

https://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/156427-good-friday-2023/?do=findComment&comment=2842293

Re my post linked above in OpenMic on Good Friday.  I need to correct and qualify it.  Human beings are mentioned in Genesis on the Sixth Day where God creates in His Image and Likeness.  Interestingly, human beings God finds "very good", not simply "good" as He found the rest of creation.  Humanity is found very good, I think, because it is only humanity in creation that is created in God's Image and Likeness and is therefore more than the rest of creation, above it.          

I was going to correct/qualify my Post in the thread above today, but I had already waffled on enough in cappie's thread, more than enough.  So, I thought to come here.

As God is steward over, or cares and provides for, humanity, so we in turn are appointed steward's of creation.  Thank you to all those who do care for inanimate life and the animal kingdom, for the earth.  I must look to God's stewardship of me to understand what I owe in my own appointed stewardship.

Cappie would have noticed my misstep, I am confident, but decided not to correct me publicly "The smoking flax he will not quench, nor the bruised reed will he break"  Matthew Ch 12. ...............thank you, cappie.:smile2:

BarbTherese

I got quite literally tired watching the video below!

(Wrote a Post but lost it.  Time for Vespers for me)............

So beautiful.....but I can't chant along with them - not any more anyway for a couple of reasons including that I don't know the English to Latin translation........

I use the Universalis translation in English, or the same as I Post online here.  The alarms on my online alarm clock are my bells. :) 

...........and now.................

.............let it rain.  Open the floodgates and let it rain down, please..........

Today, I have spent time reading up on The Church's attitudes to rock and roll music.  What has been overlooked, I think, is that some rock music is created for one to think about it.  Remember too, they (Catholic authors) forgot or don't know it, lyrics and music can be picking up on their market, their target audience, and reflecting attitudes etc. back to them.  Don't take some music and lyrics onboard for any other reason than to think and form your own opinion on the message.  And that message between the lines.  Then accept or reject.  

Anthony de Mello on Authority

Little boy sitting in a theater.  Tall man sits in front of him:                                Can you see, sonny?                                                                                                 No sir, I cannot.                                                                                                       That's ok, just laugh when I laugh and you will be fine.

Some are indeed singing and playing about themselves.  

I use the above as an inspirational prayer whenever I think to do sol

rscb1-2

"Do not give what is holy to dogs, or throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them underfoot, and turn and tear you to pieces" Matthew Ch 7

BarbTherese

Most often probably, I am not too sure at all about what Father Mike has to say, not all of it anyway.  This video is one of those time in which I can agree:

5.19am here on Easter Sunday.  Got up about an hour or so ago, and can't go back to sleep.  I know if I try, I will just lay there trying to sleep and in the end, give up and get up again.  My psychiatrist says laying in bed trying to unsuccessfully sleep is not the way.  Rather get up until I feel tired - and only then go back to bed.   That does seem to work for me.

So don't give up, talk to an expert about it for advice on the reality of your situation whatever it might be and change your means to a goal, if necessary.

In the first para above, the reality of my situation was that the means to my goal i.e. sleep, was not going to work as my means.  I needed to change the latter.

BarbTherese

I had a draining day yesterday and so apologies for not posting the following earlier.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLBMsm8Uqq8mp-btAetXE

From Divine Office (General Calendar)   

Sunday 9th Aprill 2023  

EASTER SUNDAY

( The summit of the Liturgical Year is the Easter Triduum—from the evening of Holy Thursday to the evening of Easter Sunday. Though chronologically three days, they are liturgically one day unfolding for us the unity of Christ's Paschal Mystery. )                                           

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230409/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230409/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230409/compline.htm

SECOND READING

The Readings for Easter Sunday are lengthy: https://universalis.com/20230409/readings.htm

A HOLY HOUR

What one gives emphasis to will continue; hence, with distractions don't try to fight them or ignore them, don't give any attention/focus to them at all and they just pass.   

Dear Lord, may I realize afresh today what Your death and resurrection mean for me. Forgiveness, freedom, and the ability to walk with You through this fallen world into eternity. May I always find my satisfaction in You and Your willingness to offer Yourself to me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Eucharistic Adoration 

Prayer of Abandonment Father, I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will. Whatever you may do, I thank you: I am ready for all, I accept all. Let only your will be done in me, and in all Your creatures - I wish no more than this, O Lord. Into your hands I commend my soul; I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love you Lord, and so need to give myself, to surrender myself into your hands, without reserve, and with boundless confidence, For you are my Father. --Charles de Foucauld (1858-1916)

Children's Prayers for Protection God in heaven hear my prayer, keep me in thy loving care. Be my guide in all I do, Bless all those who love me too. Amen. Angel of God, my Guardian dear, To whom God's love commits me here; Ever this day, be at my side To light and guard To rule and guide. Amen

Prayers for Couples Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for this life, for the gift of love, and the blessing of our marriage. We give you praise for the joy you've poured into our hearts through this love, for the contentment of family, and the happiness of our home. May we always treasure the experience of loving each other in this holy union. Help us to remain forever committed to our vows, those we made to each other, and to you, Lord. We will need your strength daily Lord, as we live together with the goal of following and serving you. Develop within is us the character of your Son, Jesus, that we might love each other with the love he demonstrated—with patience, respect, understanding, honesty, forgiveness and kindness. Let us always be a support to one another—a friend to listen and encourage, a refuge from the storm, and most importantly, a warrior in prayer. Holy Spirit, guide us through the difficult moments of life and comfort us in our grief. May our lives together bring glory to you, our Savior, and testify of your love. In Jesus' Name. Amen. --Mary Fairchild

Prayers for Every Occasion https://www.barkerstrathcatholic.com/uploads/2/2/6/3/22632878/prayersforalloccasions.pdf

BarbTherese

Easter-Mass-Times-2016-2_960x445px-933x4

Sunday 9th April 2023  

EASTER MONDAY                                     

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230410/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230410/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230410/compline.htm

In place of the Second Reading I will be endevouring each day to post into this section, and over time, the full text of Practice of The Presence of God by Brother Lawrence OCD Lay Brother.  It could be read at Eucharistic Adoration, pausing now and then for Silent Prayer and reflection, or on its own during the day:

Come Holy Spirit, com.............quote-and-it-is-not-necessary-to-have-gr

Preface

“I believe in the ... communion of saints.”

SURELY if additional proof of its reality were needed, it might be found in the universal oneness of experimental Christianity in all ages and in all lands. The experiences of Thomas á Kempis, of Tauler and of Madame Guyon, of John Woolman and Hester Ann Rogers, how marvellously they agree, and how perfectly they harmonize! And Nicholas Herman, of Lorraine, whose letters and converse are here given, testifies to the same truth! In communion with Rome, a lay brother among the Carmelites, for several years a soldier, in an irreligious age, amid a sceptical people, yet in him the practice of the presence of GOD was as much a reality as the “watch” of the early Friends, and the “holy seed” in him and others was the “stock” (Isa. vi. 13) from which grew the household and evangelistic piety of the eighteenth century, of Epworth and of Moorfields.

“When unadorned, adorned the most” is the line which deters from any interpolations or interpretations other than the few “contents” headings which are given. May the “Christ in you” be the “hope of glory” to all who read.

THE first time I saw Brother Lawrence was upon the 3rd of August, 1666. He told me that GOD had done him a singular favour, in his conversion at the age of eighteen.

That in the winter, seeing a tree stripped of its leaves, and considering that within a little time, the leaves would be renewed, and after that the flowers and fruit appear, he received a high view of the Providence and Power of GOD, which has never since been effaced from his soul. That this view had perfectly set him loose from the world, and kindled in him such a love for GOD, that he could not tell whether it had increased in above forty years that he had lived since.

That he had been footman to M. Fieubert, the treasurer, and that he was a great awkward fellow who broke everything.

That he had desired to be received into a monastery, thinking that he would there be made to smart for his awkwardness and the faults he should commit, and so he should sacrifice to GOD his life, with its pleasures: but that GOD had disappointed him, he having met with nothing but satisfaction in that state.

That we should establish ourselves in a sense of GOD’s Presence, by continually conversing with Him. That it was a shameful thing to quit His conversation, to think of trifles and fooleries.

That we should feed and nourish our souls with high notions of GOD; which would yield us great joy in being devoted to Him.

That we ought to quicken, i.e., to enliven, our faith. That it was lamentable we had so little; and that instead of taking faith for the rule of their conduct, men amused themselves with trivial devotions, which changed daily. That the way of Faith was the spirit of the Church, and that it was sufficient to bring us to a high degree of perfection.

That we ought to give ourselves up to GOD, with regard both to things temporal and spiritual, and seek our satisfaction only in the fulfilling of His will, whether He lead us by suffering or by consolation, for all would be equal to a soul truly resigned. That there needed fidelity in those drynesses, or insensibilities and irksomenesses in prayer, by which GOD tries our love to Him; that then was the time for us to make good and effectual acts of resignation, whereof one alone would oftentimes very much promote our spiritual advancement.

That as for the miseries and sins he heard of daily in the world, he was so far from wondering at them, that, on the contrary, he was surprised there were not more, considering the malice sinners were capable of: that for his part, he prayed for them; but knowing that GOD could remedy the mischiefs they did, when He pleased, he gave himself no further trouble.

That to arrive at such resignation as GOD requires, we should watch attentively over all the passions which mingle as well in spiritual things as those of a grosser nature: that GOD would give light concerning those passions to those who truly desire to serve Him. That if this was my design, viz., sincerely to serve GOD, I might come to him (Bro. Lawrence) as often as I pleased, without any fear of being troublesome; but if not, that I ought no more to visit him.

Prayer of Abandonment Father, I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will. Whatever you may do, I thank you: I am ready for all, I accept all. Let only your will be done in me, and in all Your creatures - I wish no more than this, O Lord. Into your hands I commend my soul; I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love you Lord, and so need to give myself, to surrender myself into your hands, without reserve, and with boundless confidence, For you are my Father. --Charles de Foucauld (1858-1916)

Children's Prayers for Protection God in heaven hear my prayer, keep me in thy loving care. Be my guide in all I do, Bless all those who love me too. Amen. Angel of God, my Guardian dear, To whom God's love commits me here; Ever this day, be at my side To light and guard To rule and guide. Amen

Prayers for Couples Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for this life, for the gift of love, and the blessing of our marriage. We give you praise for the joy you've poured into our hearts through this love, for the contentment of family, and the happiness of our home. May we always treasure the experience of loving each other in this holy union. Help us to remain forever committed to our vows, those we made to each other, and to you, Lord. We will need your strength daily Lord, as we live together with the goal of following and serving you. Develop within is us the character of your Son, Jesus, that we might love each other with the love he demonstrated—with patience, respect, understanding, honesty, forgiveness and kindness. Let us always be a support to one another—a friend to listen and encourage, a refuge from the storm, and most importantly, a warrior in prayer. Holy Spirit, guide us through the difficult moments of life and comfort us in our grief. May our lives together bring glory to you, our Savior, and testify of your love. In Jesus' Name. Amen. --Mary Fairchild

A-Prayer-to-Love-One-Another-John-13-34.

Prayers for Every Occasion

https://www.barkerstrathcatholic.com/uploads/2/2/6/3/22632878/prayersforalloccasions.pdf

BarbTherese

43 minutes ago, BarbTherese said:

amused themselves with trivial devotions, which changed daily.

Not too sure at all about the above..............walk in the way of Faith and of trust in The Lord and then.................   PS12.jpg

BarbTherese

easter.jpg

Tuesday 11th April 2023  

EASTER TUESDAY                                   

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230411/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230411/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230411/vespers.htm

Simply choose from this thread that which appeals to cover a Holy Hour, leaving time for Private Prayer if you wish.

I'm posting the reading from Practice of The Presence of God into my next thread.                     

Seccond Reading from Office of Readings (scroll down):  https://universalis.com/readings.htm

Prayer of Abandonment Father, I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will. Whatever you may do, I thank you: I am ready for all, I accept all. Let only your will be done in me, and in all Your creatures - I wish no more than this, O Lord. Into your hands I commend my soul; I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love you Lord, and so need to give myself, to surrender myself into your hands, without reserve, and with boundless confidence, For you are my Father. --Charles de Foucauld (1858-1916)

Children's Prayers for Protection God in heaven hear my prayer, keep me in thy loving care. Be my guide in all I do, Bless all those who love me too. Amen. Angel of God, my Guardian dear, To whom God's love commits me here; Ever this day, be at my side To light and guard To rule and guide. Amen

Prayers for Couples Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for this life, for the gift of love, and the blessing of our marriage. We give you praise for the joy you've poured into our hearts through this love, for the contentment of family, and the happiness of our home. May we always treasure the experience of loving each other in this holy union. Help us to remain forever committed to our vows, those we made to each other, and to you, Lord. We will need your strength daily Lord, as we live together with the goal of following and serving you. Develop within is us the character of your Son, Jesus, that we might love each other with the love he demonstrated—with patience, respect, understanding, honesty, forgiveness and kindness. Let us always be a support to one another—a friend to listen and encourage, a refuge from the storm, and most importantly, a warrior in prayer. Holy Spirit, guide us through the difficult moments of life and comfort us in our grief. May our lives together bring glory to you, our Savior, and testify of your love. In Jesus' Name. Amen. --Mary Fairchild

Prayers for Every Occasion https://www.barkerstrathcatholic.com/uploads/2/2/6/3/22632878/prayersforalloccasions.pdf

431797_10150623857983387_15337298386_928

Edited by BarbTherese

BarbTherese

16710.jpg

Brother Lawrence was a Carmelite Lay Brother who lived in the 17th century.                                        

SECOND CONVERSATION

Love the motive of all. * Once in fear, now in joy. * Diligence and love. Simplicity the key to Divine assistance. * Business abroad as at home. * times of prayer and self-mortification not essential for the practice. * All scruples brought to God.

That he had always been governed by love, without selfish views; and that having resolved to make the love of GOD the end of all his actions, he had found reasons to be well satisfied with his method. That he was pleased when he could take up a straw from the ground for the love of GOD, seeking Him only, and nothing else, not even His gifts.

That he had been long troubled in mind from a certain belief that he should be damned; that all the men in the world could not have persuaded him to the contrary; but that he had thus reasoned with himself about it: I did not engage in a religious life but for the love of GOD, and I have endeavoured to act only for Him; whatever becomes of me, whether I be lost or saved, I will always continue to act purely for the love of GOD. I shall have this good at least, that till death I shall have done all that is in me to love Him. That this trouble of mind had lasted four years; during which time he had suffered much.

That since that time he had passed his life in perfect liberty and continual joy. That he placed his sins betwixt him and GOD, as it were, to tell Him that he did not deserve His favours, but that GOD still continued to bestow them in abundance.

That in order to form a habit of conversing with GOD continually, and referring all we do to Him; we must at first apply to Him with some diligence: but that after a little care we should find His love inwardly excite us to it without any difficulty.

That he expected after the pleasant days GOD had given him, he should have his turn of pain and suffering; but that he was not uneasy about it, knowing very well, that as he could do nothing of himself, GOD would not fail to give him the strength to bear them.

That when an occasion of practising some virtue offered, he addressed himself to GOD, saying, LORD, I cannot do this unless Thou enablest me; and that then he received strength more than sufficient.

That when he had failed in his duty, he only confessed his fault, saying to GOD, I shall never do otherwise, if You leave me to myself; ’tis You must hinder my falling, and mend what is amiss. That after this, he gave himself no further uneasiness about it.

That we ought to act with GOD in the greatest simplicity, speaking to Him frankly and plainly, and imploring His assistance in our affairs, just as they happen. That GOD never failed to grant it, as he had often experienced.

That he had been lately sent into Burgundy, to buy the provision of wine for the society, which was a very unwelcome task for him, because he had no turn for business and because he was lame, and could not go about the boat but by rolling himself over the casks. That however he gave himself no uneasiness about it, nor about the purchase of the wine. That he said to GOD, It was His business he was about, and that he afterwards found it very well performed. That he had been sent into Auvergne the year before upon the same account; that he could not tell how the matter passed, but that it proved very well.

So, likewise, in his business in the kitchen (to which he had naturally a great aversion), having accustomed himself to do everything there for the love of GOD, and with prayer, upon all occasions, for His grace to do his work well, he had found everything easy, during the fifteen years that he had been employed there.

That he was very well pleased with the post he was now in; but that he was as ready to quit that as the former, since he was always pleasing himself in every condition, by doing little things for the love of GOD.

That with him the set times of prayer were not different from other times: that he retired to pray, according to the directions of his Superior, but that he did not want such retirement. nor ask for it, because his greatest business did not divert him from GOD.

That as he knew his obligation to love GOD in all things, and as he endeavoured so to do, he had no need of a director to advise him, but that he needed much a confessor to absolve him. That he was very sensible of his faults, but not discouraged by them; that he confessed them to GOD, and did not plead against Him to excuse them. When he had so done, he peaceably resumed his usual practice of love and adoration.

That in his trouble of mind, he had consulted nobody, but knowing only by the light of faith that GOD was present, he contented himself with directing all his actions to Him, i.e., doing them with a desire to please Him, let what would come of it.

That useless thoughts spoil all: that the mischief began there; but that we ought to reject them, as soon as we perceived their impertinence to the matter in hand, or our salvation; and return to our communion with GOD.

That at the beginning he had often passed his time appointed for prayer, in rejecting wandering thoughts, and falling back into them. That he could never regulate his devotion by certain methods as some do. That nevertheless, at first he had meditated for some time, but afterwards that went off, in a manner that he could give no account of.

That all bodily mortifications and other exercises are useless, but as they serve to arrive at the union with GOD by love; that he had well considered this, and found it the shortest way to go straight to Him by a continual exercise of love, and doing all things for His sake.

That we ought to make a great difference between the acts of the understanding and those of the will; that the first were comparatively of little value, and the others all.

That our only business was to love and delight ourselves in GOD.

That all possible kinds of mortification, if they were void of the love of GOD, could not efface a single sin. That we ought, without anxiety, to expect the pardon of our sins from the Blood of JESUS CHRIST, only endeavouring to love Him with all our hearts. That GOD seemed to have granted the greatest favours to the greatest sinners, as more signal monuments of His mercy.

That the greatest pains or pleasures, of this world, were not to be compared with what he had experienced of both kinds in a spiritual state: so that he was careful for nothing and feared nothing, desiring but one only thing of GOD, viz., that he might not offend Him.

That he had no scruples; for, said he, when I fail in my duty, I readily acknowledge it, saying, I am used to do so: I shall never do otherwise, if I am left to myself. If I fail not, then I give GOD thanks, acknowledging that it comes from Him.

BarbTherese

celtic-blessings-prayer.jpg

1. Quote

1. Charity (love) unites us to God, the Source of joy:
    2. God to St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi:
    3. Jesus to Ven. Concepcion Cabrera de Armida:
    4. HOW CAN SUFFERING AND JOY COEXIST?
    5. PURITY OF HEART: THE KEY TO ABIDING JOY
    6. HOW DO WE ATTAIN PURITY OF HEART/INTENTION?
    7. THE EUCHARIST: THE SOURCE OF ALL JOY
    8. Jesus to Sr. Benigna Consolata:
    9. Was Jesus always joyful?
    10. How can I infallibly attain peace?

2. What Jesus really meant when He told us we’ll receive anything we ask the Father for in His name

3. A reflection on the road to Emmaus

4. What was Mary doing when she pondered everything in her heart?

5. A history of the use of the sacrament of reconciliation in the early Church

6. My favorite morning prayer, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

BarbTherese

26529e5d4859e84f7935675ac2de0c4f.jpg

Who’s the Greatest?..................A Franciscan and a Dominican were debating whose order was the greater. After months of arguing, they decided to ask God for an answer when they died. Years later, they met in heaven and went to God’s throne to resolve their old disagreement. God seemed a bit puzzled about the question and told them he would reply in writing a few days later. After much deliberation, God sent the following letter:

My sons,

Please stop bickering about such trivial matters. Both orders are equally great and good in my eyes.

Sincerely,

God, SJ

BarbTherese

why-humor-is-an-essential-part-of-my-catholic-faith

https://bustedhalo.com/life-culture/why-humor-is-an-essential-part-of-my-catholic-faith          " Joy and laughter, I believe, are always worth sharing — always worth cultivating. What I can do in the moment with those I love, as well as with those whom I sometimes find difficult to love, is to find moments to be cheerful and share in joy. I can bring God to others, even when they suffer, and even when I do and have. If we can laugh together, we can build community, no matter our differences, just as St. Philip Neri did. Within this type of complex community, a community that acknowledges both suffering and joy, we can feel and experience God’s expansive love together. 

LISTEN: Dr. Angela Gorrell on Joy in the Midst of Grief

In the middle of grief, when taking care of two ailing parents, I began a conversion story to Catholicism. That was almost 10 years ago. Suffering may have brought me to the Catholic faith; encountering joy and laughter amidst the suffering in this fallen world is what has kept me there. 

This confluence of joy and suffering comprises a large piece of the wholeness of our faith. Paul’s words from Romans 15:13 provide an anchor: “May the God of hope fill you with all the joy and peace in believing.” I’ve found I locate hope in communal laughter. The rest — that joy and peace that come from an assured belief — follow in kind. "

1*Du_BcKGKa0ew-maU0rCAGw.jpeg

Why is Philip Neri the patron saint of laughter?  

https://aleteia.org/2018/05/26/why-st-philip-neri-is-known-as-the-humorous-saint/

Philip Neri, an Italian priest from the 16th century, is commonly known as the “patron saint of joy,” and the “humorous saint.” 

(I have long wondered just why the 16th century produced so many saints who were mystics?)

BarbTherese

quote-it-is-also-a-warning-it-is-a-warni

The Unknown God

Henry Lawson, 1914

The President to Kingdoms,
       As in the Days of Old;
The King to the Republic,
       As it had been foretold.
They could not read the spelling,
       They would not hear the call;
They would not brook the telling
       Of Writing on the Wall.