An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

From Divine Office (General Calendar)   

Wednesday 12th April 2023  

FIRST WEEK OF EASTER                                 

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230412/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230412/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230412/compline.htm

BarbTherese

1167633-Brother-Lawrence-Quote-We-ought-

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

BROTHER LAWRENCE OCD LAY BROTHER

THIRD CONVERSATION........................... Faith working by love. * Outward business no detriment. * Perfect resignation the sure way. He told me, that the foundation of the spiritual life in him had been a high notion and esteem of GOD in faith; which when he had once well conceived, he had no other care at first, but faithfully to reject every other thought, that he might perform all his actions for the love of GOD. That when sometimes he had not thought of GOD for a good while, he did not disquiet himself for it; but after having acknowledged his wretchedness to GOD, he returned to Him with so much the greater trust in Him, by how much he found himself more wretched to have forgot Him. That the trust we put in GOD honours Him much, and draws down great graces. That it was impossible, not only that GOD should deceive, but also that He should long let a soul suffer which is perfectly resigned to Him, and resolved to endure everything for His sake. That he had so often experienced the ready succours of Divine Grace upon all occasions, that from the same experience, when he had business to do, he did not think of it beforehand; but when it was time to do it, he found in GOD, as in a clear mirror, all that was fit for him to do. That of late he had acted thus, without anticipating care; but before the experience above mentioned, he had used it in his affairs. When outward business diverted him a little from the thought of GOD, a fresh remembrance coming from GOD invested his soul, and so inflamed and transported him that it was difficult for him to contain himself. That he was more united to GOD in his outward employments, than when he left them for devotion in retirement. That he expected hereafter some great pain of body or mind; that the worst that could happen to him was, to lose that sense of GOD, which he had enjoyed so long; but that the goodness of GOD assured him He would not forsake him utterly, and that He would give him strength to bear whatever evil He permitted to happen to him; and therefore that he feared nothing, and had no occasion to consult with anybody about his state. That when he had attempted to do it, he had always come away more perplexed; and that as he was conscious of his readiness to lay down his life for the love of GOD, he had no apprehension of danger. That perfect resignation to GOD was a sure way to heaven, a way in which we had always sufficient light for our conduct. That in the beginning of the spiritual life, we ought to be faithful in doing our duty and denying ourselves; but after that unspeakable pleasures followed: that in difficulties we need only have recourse to JESUS CHRIST, and beg His grace, with which everything became easy. 9 Third Conversation That many do not advance in the Christian progress, because they stick in penances, and particular exercises, while they neglect the love of GOD, which is the end. That this appeared plainly by their works, and was the reason why we see so little solid virtue. That there needed neither art nor science for going to GOD, but only a heart resolutely determined to apply itself to nothing but Him, or for His sake, and to love Him only

BarbTherese

St Joseph, Patron of The Church and for a Happy Death, pray for us for Peace in Ukraine and for a Happy Death for all.    

BarbTherese

m75bu1tlgm441.png                                                       

TO FIND THE DAY YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, CLICK THE THREE VERTICAL DOTS ON TOP RIGHT OF PAGE.  IN THE DROP DOWN MENU CLICK "FIND" ENTERING THE DAY YOU WANT.  THE REST SHOULD BE SELF-EXPLANATORY. 

BarbTherese

Cartoon-Laughter-best-medic1.jpg

A man collapses on the street and wakes up to find himself in the care of nuns at a Catholic hospital.

As he was recovering, a nun holding a clipboard came into his room and said she was from the billing department and asked how he was going to pay the bill.
The man said, "I don't have health insurance."
The nun asked if he had money in the bank. He shook his head and replied, "I don't."
The nun asked, "Do you have a relative who could help you?"
He said, "Just a sister, who's a spinster nun."

The nun sternly replied, "Nuns are not spinsters! Nuns are married to God."

The patient replied, "Then send the bill to my brother-in-law."

BarbTherese

3520628d-00f1-4b17-b4f1-b497f8f0b0e8_570

Saint Gertrude of Helfta (1256-1301)
Benedictine nun
The Herald, Book Iv, SC 255, (Collected works)

Consolation and joy in the Lord

...........(through perseverance in the state of Grace)..................

As one reads in the gospel regarding Blessed Mary Magdalene: "She leaned forward, looked into the tomb, and saw two angels" etc., and Gertrude said to the Lord: "Lord, where is the tomb where I need to look so as to find consolation and joy? Then the Lord showed her the wound in his side. And while she leaned into the interior, in place of the two angels she learned two words of which the first was: you will never be separated from communion with me", and the other, "all your works please me in an absolutely perfect way."

She was stupefied by this and, full of doubts, and asked herself how how that might be: in effect, she was so imperfect in every way that all her works would be impossible to please anyone in the world because of the hidden faults that she sometimes hid. Besides, how could she please that infinitely luminous understanding which finds, so to speak, where a thousand faults, for the blind man, it was scarcely a single one.

The Lord answered: Supposing you held something in your hand. You could easily hold it in your hand however little you kept watch over it, and thus you have the ability to make it pleasant for all. How could you neglect to do such a thing? It is the same for me. Just as you rightly please me and all the inhabitants of heaven.

BarbTherese

Poverty.jpg

Give of yourself as if everything depended on giving and pray as if everything depended on  praying...............

...............because they do...........hang on a minute...........:

BarbTherese

Wednesday 12th April 2023  

EASTER WEDNESDAY                             

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230412/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230412/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230412/compline.htm

I'm posting the reading from Practice of The Presence of God into my next thread.            

Detail-Of-Brother-Lawrence-In-The-Kitche          

Practice of The Presence of God

Brother Lawrence, OCD Carmelite Lay Brother

FOURTH CONVERSATION

He discoursed with me very frequently, and with great openness of heart, concerning his manner of going to GOD, whereof some part is related already.

He told me, that all consists in one hearty renunciation of everything which we are sensible does not lead to GOD; that we might accustom ourselves to a continual conversation with Him, with freedom and in simplicity. That we need only to recognize GOD intimately present with us, to address ourselves to Him every moment, that we may beg His assistance for knowing His will in things doubtful, and for rightly performing those which we plainly see He requires of us, offering them to Him before we do them, and giving Him thanks when we have done.

That in this conversation with GOD, we are also employed in praising, adoring, and loving him incessantly, for His infinite goodness and perfection.

That, without being discouraged on account of our sins, we should pray for His grace with a perfect confidence, as relying upon the infinite merits of our LORD. That GOD never failed offering us His grace at each action; that he distinctly perceived it, and never failed of it, unless when his thoughts had wandered from a sense of GOD’s Presence, or he had forgot to ask His assistance.

That GOD always gave us light in our doubts, when we had no other design but to please Him.

That our sanctification did not depend upon changing our works, but in doing that for GOD’s sake, which we commonly do for our own. That it was lamentable to see how many people mistook the means for the end, addicting themselves to certain works, which they performed very imperfectly, by reason of their human or selfish regards.

That the most excellent method he had found of going to GOD, was that of doing our common business without any view of pleasing men, [Gal. i. 10; Eph. vi. 5, 6.] and (as far as we are capable) purely for the love of GOD.

That it was a great delusion to think that the times of prayer ought to differ from other times. That we are as strictly obliged to adhere to GOD by action in the time of action, as by prayer in its season.

That his prayer was nothing else but a sense of the presence of GOD, his soul being at that time insensible to everything but Divine love: and that when the appointed times of prayer were past, he found no difference, because he still continued with GOD, praising and blessing Him with all his might, so that he passed his life in continual joy; yet hoped that GOD would give him somewhat to suffer, when he should grow stronger.

That we ought, once for all, heartily to put our whole trust in GOD, and make a total surrender of ourselves to Him, secure that He would not deceive us.

That we ought not to be weary of doing little things for the love of GOD, who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed. That we should not wonder if, in the beginning, we often failed in our endeavours, but that at last we should gain a habit, which will naturally produce its acts in us, without our care, and to our exceeding great delight.

That the whole substance of religion was faith, hope, and charity; by the practice of which we become united to the will of GOD: that all beside is indifferent and to be used as a means, that we may arrive at our end, and be swallowed up therein, by faith and charity.

That all things are possible to him who believes, that they are less difficult to him who hopes, they are more easy to him who loves, and still more easy to him who perseveres in the practice of these three virtues.

That the end we ought to propose to ourselves is to become, in this life, the most perfect worshippers of GOD we can possibly be, as we hope to be through all eternity.

That when we enter upon the spiritual we should consider, and examine to the bottom, what we are. And then we should find ourselves worthy of all contempt, and such as do not deserve the name of Christians, subject to all kinds of misery, and numberless accidents, which trouble us, and cause perpetual vicissitudes in our health, in our humours, in our internal and external dispositions: in fine, persons whom GOD would humble by many pains and labours, as well within as without. After this, we should not wonder that troubles, temptations, oppositions and contradictions, happen to us from men. We ought, on the contrary, to submit ourselves to them, and bear them as long as GOD pleases, as things highly advantageous to us.

That the greater perfection a soul aspires after, the more dependent it is upon Divine grace.

Being questioned by one of his own society (to whom he was obliged to open himself) by what means he had attained such an habitual sense of GOD? he told him that, since his first coming to the monastery, he had considered GOD as the end of all his thoughts and desires, as the mark to which they should tend, and in which they should terminate.

That in the beginning of his novitiate he spent the hours appointed for private prayer in thinking of GOD, so as to convince his mind of, and to impress deeply upon his heart, the Divine existence, rather by devout sentiments, and submission to the lights of faith, than by studied reasonings and elaborate meditations. That by this short and sure method, he exercised himself in the knowledge and love of GOD, resolving to use his utmost endeavour to live in a continual sense of His Presence, and, if possible, never to forget Him more.

That when he had thus in prayer filled his mind with great sentiments of that infinite Being, he went to his work appointed in the kitchen (for he was cook to the society); there having first considered severally the things his office required, and when and how each thing was to be done, he spent all the intervals of his time, as well before as after his work, in prayer.

That, when he began his business, he said to GOD, with a filial trust in Him, “O my GOD, since Thou art with me, and I must now, in obedience to Thy commands, apply my mind to these outward things, I beseech Thee to grant me the grace to continue in Thy Presence; and to this end do Thou prosper me with Thy assistance, receive all my works, and possess all my affections.”

As he proceeded in his work, he continued his familiar conversation with his Maker, imploring His grace, and offering to Him all his actions.

When he had finished, he examined himself how he had discharged his duty; if he found well, he returned thanks to GOD; if otherwise, he asked pardon; and without being discouraged, he set his mind right again, and continued his exercise of the presence of GOD, as if he had never deviated from it. “Thus,” said he, “by rising after my falls, and by frequently renewed acts of faith and love, I am come to a state, wherein it would be as difficult for me not to think of GOD, as it was at first to accustom myself to it.”

As Bro. Lawrence had found such an advantage in walking in the presence of GOD, it was natural for him to recommend it earnestly to others; but his example was a stronger inducement than any arguments he could propose. His very countenance was edifying; such a sweet and calm devotion appearing in it, as could not but affect the beholders. And it was observed, that in the greatest hurry of business in the kitchen, he still preserved his recollection and heavenly-mindedness. He was never hasty nor loitering, but did each thing in its season, with an even uninterrupted composure and tranquillity of spirit. “The time of business,” said he, “does not with me differ from the time of prayer; and in the noise and clutter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess GOD in as great tranquillity as if I were upon my knees at the Blessed Sacrament.”

BarbTherese

EUCHARISTIC ADORATION

Litany of St Joseph, Patron of The Church a Happy Death

nd of a Happy Death

BarbTherese

I had something wonderful today, which has given me the awareness that I am just where The Master wants me in this truly stumbling bumbling (at times, crumbling) life of mine.

After the big bill I am about to pay to BUPA, the Home here, I would have only $200 left in my bank. I have a big bill to pay for medication too.  I had budgeted for $1,000 less to pay to BUPA.  It looked as if my (nearly new) electric bed and recliner (brand new) were not going to sell.  My son was making arrangements to ship them to his home state, hopefully with a better buying market there.

Last night, we had a buyer for both for a total of $6,500 which will go straight into my bank.  Providing the buyer turns up tonight with his wallet, my bank will look quite healthy once more.  It has cost $4,000 to shift into BUPA.  If the sale does go through, I would very much like to buy a nice artificial palm for my room and real plants for the garden plot outside my window.  If the outside plants will be watered, the current one's are dead.  I will have to ask the gardener.  OH and to buy flowers for the wives of my son and brother for lending them to me.

I did not even pray for a sale.  I had wanted to give them away.  It was my brother and son who insisted we try to sell.

Thank you, Lord, for Your many considerations for Your most least.  (Most least can be gauged by Graces granted and one's faithfulness - or lack of it rather - to such Graces).

174051-Thomas-Merton-Quote-To-be-truly-C

1390851772-10aeaece8171e96b69108b9a1d618

BarbTherese

02-34.png

Well, the above tells me why BUPA here is still standing :)

I do not have a desire for Heaven as the means of seeing Jesus.  I never do, not even when I am feeling in consolation, which is not today.  I have no desire at all for Heaven and its' rewards.  I do believe at this point I will go to Heaven and that there I will see Jesus and do experience gratitude for that, much gratitude - and pure Gift to me, not something I have desired.   But He clearly wants me here on earth, or I would not be here.  Why be in one place and desire something else.  The grass is greener syndrome? "The hallmark of the “grass is greener syndrome” is the idea that there is always something better that we are missing. So rather than experiencing stability, security, and satisfaction in the present environment, the feeling is there is more and better elsewhere, and anything less than ideal won’t do. Whether it’s with relationships, careers, or where you live, there is always one foot out the door." https://psychcentral.com/blog/relationships-balance/2013/03/16/the-grass-is-greener-syndrome#1

Yikes! I think I am having a guilt trip and I am an expert in that field.  I just cannot desire to want Heaven and to see Jesus.........."want" being operative.  I would rather He nudged me into what I am to do here.  There you go, my will not His Will.............and another guilt trip.

Boy! What a day!

I rarely see anyone around here except for meal times and at the moment, I can hardly walk at all.  Most retire to their rooms.  In the main, I only see them passing in the hallways if I do manage to get up and go for a walk.  The demands the physio has placed on me in the exercises I must do, I have found discouraging and painful (and why I have difficulty walking).  The physio literally threatened that if I don't do the exercises, I wont be able to walk at all, for goodness sake.  He rather made me cross because I intended to do his jolly exercises. Benedictus Deus.   What on earth am I to do all day outside of Prayer Times.  I go to bed late and rise early.  I know it is an adjustment from an independent life on my own, to BUPA here, aged care home.  I am beginning to feel a bit lost, insecure, unsettled, of no useful purpose.......to be honest.  I guess it almost had to happen sooner or later.  Deo Gratius, Laudate Dominum.

I cant be on this thread all day,  I retain Hope that something is going to crop up.  This thread will drive any readers and me nuts, while it is keeping me going just now.  .........and the video below did nothing for me.  I am long used to a very active lifestyle.  The psychiatrists were right perhaps - I just can't think in abstractions and Love is an abstraction.

It is a downer for me today. talk about moan and groan.........no time for decisions therefore.  Plenty experience far far worse.  May the Good Lord receive a prayer for them.

Wow! Just now, thunder and with rain on the roof.  The day lifts for me.

Double wow!  The rain has eased, but there was a flash like lightening behind me.  I hope we will have a real storm.  I love storms.

The air conditioner above me just started up, sounded like a big wind.  I got a h**luva fright!

What day.

Correction: What a day.

Today reveals just how quickly the mood of a bipolar sufferer can change.

BarbTherese

Father is talking about vocational path in the second video above, but desire can pertain to any desire at all.

I feel (feelings are not of necessity the reality) as if I was chased out of a religious vocation (largely due to bipolar) and much later in life chucked into BUPA here (age and mobility problems).  I used to call myself "God's Yo Yo". :)  The previous, of course, is NOT the reality but situations PERMITTED by God and a function of Divine Providence in the negative things in life.  God's Direct Will is in all the good in our life.

These video have changed my attitude to my life just now.  Thanks Fr Mike but if only you spoke slower. Dear Lord, help me to keep the lessons of these videos and hymns I have posted into this thread - and to go back over them in good times and in the difficult times especially.  Help me too to remember with a prayer those who are suffering, perhaps less.......... or more - and far more than I.   DEO GRATIUS LAUDATE DOMINUM ......AMEN

From my wellspring of endless forgetfulness and weaknesses, useless and false guilt trips, a scruple here and there because I just cannot be whom I wish to be: .............

BarbTherese

Thursday 13th April 2023  

EASTER WEDNESDAY                             

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230413/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230413/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230413/compline.htm