An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

LETTERS

FIRST LETTER

How the habitual sense of God’s Presence was found.

SINCE you desire so earnestly that I should communicate to you the method by which I arrived at that habitual sense of GOD’s Presence, which our LORD, of His mercy, has been pleased to vouchsafe to me; I must tell you, that it is with great difficulty that I am prevailed on by your importunities; and now I do it only upon the terms, that you show my letter to nobody. If I knew that you would let it be seen, all the desire that I have for your advancement would not be able to determine me to it. The account I can give you is:

Having found in many books different methods of going to GOD, and divers practices of the spiritual life, I thought this would serve rather to puzzle me, than facilitate what I sought after, which was nothing but how to become wholly GOD’s.

This made me resolve to give the all for the All: so after having given myself wholly to GOD, to make all the satisfaction I could for my sins, I renounced, for the love of Him, everything that was not He; and I began to live as if there was none but He and I in the world. Sometimes I considered myself before Him as a poor criminal at the feet of his judge; at other times I beheld Him in my heart as my FATHER, as my GOD: I worshipped Him the oftenest that I could, keeping my mind in His holy Presence, and recalling it as often as I found it wandered from Him. I found no small pain in this exercise, and yet I continued it, notwithstanding all the difficulties that occurred, without troubling or disquieting myself when my mind had wandered involuntarily. I made this my business, as much all the day long as at the appointed times of prayer; for at all times, every hour, every minute, even in the height of my business, I drove away from my mind everything that was capable of interrupting my thought of GOD.

Such has been my common practice ever since I entered into religion; and though I have done it very imperfectly, yet I have found great advantages by it. These, I well know, are to be imputed to the mere mercy and goodness of GOD, because we can do nothing without Him; and I still less than any. But when we are faithful to keep ourselves in His holy Presence, and set Him always before us, this not only hinders our offending Him, and doing anything that may displease Him, at least wilfully, but it also begets in us a holy freedom, and if I may so speak, a familiarity with GOD, wherewith we ask, and that successfully, the graces we stand in need of. In fine, by often repeating these acts, they become habitual, and the presence of GOD is rendered as it were natural to us. Give Him thanks, if you please, with me, for His great goodness towards me, which I can never sufficiently admire, for the many favours He has done to so miserable a sinner as I am. May all things praise Him. Amen.

Edited by BarbTherese

BarbTherese

HOLY MASS 12.4.23

Loving God,
We pray for the people of Ukraine,
for all those suffering or afraid,
that you will be close to them and protect them.

We pray for world leaders,
for compassion, strength and wisdom to guide their choices.

We pray for the world
that in this moment of crisis,
we may reach out in solidarity
to our brothers and sisters in need.

May we walk in your ways
so that peace and justice
become a reality for the people of Ukraine
and for all the world.

Amen.

BarbTherese

Thank-you-lord-for-all-the-blessings.jpg

I have just now discovered on this new computer that I can use a microphone and it transcribes into Word.

I am going to pray about writing my life story, though I have no attraction, just a feeling that perhaps I should.  I thought of it the moment almost I discovered the microphone in a Word Document.  I just feel that I should do it, more than one has said that I should, but that is no indication that I should according to a recent video of Fr Mike which I posted into this thread.

If I look at the criteria, generally speaking, for making a decision.  I need to decide if it is what The Lord wants:

1. Attraction:  I don't have attraction per se, but that is because I am mentally lazy and I know that writing can be draining i.e. jolly hard work. When I am meant to write, it will just flow out of me almost effortlessly however and I enjoy it even though it is mentally draining and even physically tiring.
  2. I have the qualities necessary to write, especially time on my hands.
  3. I have been 'accepted' to write, since I have the time, a computer, the gift for writing (according to my creative writing teacher when in college)

I am almost, almost, in a sweat thinking about writing my life story.  I know how draining it can be and, I imagine, how tempted I will be to chuck this computer out of my window; how painful it will be too to go back over the unpleasant to cruel memories.  The only thing that will keep me applied to it is to do it for Love of The Lord.

I know the easy author's tool used for the Da Vinci Code.  Even at this moment, I know my own mental rules I will need to follow.

I could post a Chapter into this thread.  The automatic expand facility can shorten anything too lengthy,  I will increase my donation to Pham.  I do wish I could work out how to write a blog but here I am with ease with Peace and Joy, and so here The Lord means me to be.  I do know that though His Reasons totally mysterious, in darkness.

It would sure keep cobwebs off my brain.

I just thought, it could be cathartic for me.

What shall I do, Lord?

The following image is how I discovered my vocation to private vows in the Laity.

Oh, what shall I do!  You know me better than anyone, Lord.  You know me through and through, how undisciplined and mentally lax I can be, please come to my aid.

jp9LKvqfQva7llPjBQZt_pins_-_God_s_guidan

BarbTherese

ab67616d00001e0299aecb4c43abde785343556f               

A Prayer for Wisdom and Peace When Making Big Decisions

https://www.xavier.edu/jesuitresource/online-resources/prayer-index/discernment#:~:text=We will trust you for,you to order our steps.

Dear heavenly Father, you number our hairs and determine our days; you hang the stars and feed the sparrows; you open doors no one can shut and shut doors no one can open. Surely, we can trust you when the time comes for making big decisions, or for that matter, any decisions. We are in just such a season again, Father, and we know we are not alone. We will trust you for generous wisdom, straight paths and peaceful hearts, all for your glory.

How we praise you for being the decision-making-God. It’s not our decisions, but yours that make all the difference. We will plan, but we trust you to order our steps. We will pray, but ask you to fix our prayers en route to heaven. We will seek counsel, but count on you to overrule faulty or incomplete input from our most trusted friends and mentors. We will search the Scriptures, but not looking for proof texts but for you, Father. All we want and need is you.

Free us from the paralysis of analysis—wanting to make the right decision, more than we want to be righteous people; wanting to be known as wise people, more than we want to know you. Free us from the idolatry of assuming there’s only one “perfect” choice in any given situation. Free us from making decisions primary for our comfort and other’s approval, or fear their disapproval. Free us to know that good choices don’t always lead to the easiest outcomes, especially at first. Free us from second and twenty-second guessing our decisions.

Father, no matter if it’s wisdom about buying or selling, vocation or vacation, this place or that place, this person or that person, we know that in ALL things, your will is our sanctification—our becoming more and more like Jesus. Give us this passion; make it our delight.

So, Father, make us more and more like Jesus, even as we trust you for the opening and closing of doors that are in front of us. All for your glory—in our eating and drinking; and in our whatever’s, whenever’s and wherever’s. Amen.

maxresdefault.jpg

quote-st-john-of-the-cross-told-us-that-

BarbTherese

Durham_with_2_hi_low_pics_5c3b7e1d21ce8.

The man who is set to buy the electric bed and recliner paid a deposit of $500, but it will not be cleared through my brother's bank for another two days.  And so, while the sale is steps closer, it will not be definite for another two days.

lf295_brando_p316web.jpg

BarbTherese

From Divine Office (General Calendar)   

THURSDAY 13th April 2023  

EASTER THURSDAY                       

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230413/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230413/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230413/compline.htm

BarbTherese

the-practice-of-the-presence-of-god-9781     

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

LETTERS

SECOND LETTER

Difference between himself and others. * Faith alone consistently and persistently. * Deprecates this state being considered a delusion.

NOT finding my manner of life in books, although I have no difficulty about it, yet, for greater security, I shall be glad to know your thoughts concerning it.

In a conversation some days since with a person of piety, he told me the spiritual life was a life of grace, which begins with servile fear, which is increased by hope of eternal life, and which is consummated by pure love; that each of these states had its different stages, by which one arrives at last at that blessed consummation.

I have not followed all these methods. On the contrary, from I know not what instincts, I found they discouraged me. This was the reason why, at my entrance into religion, I took a resolution to give myself up to GOD, as the best satisfaction I could make for my sins; and, for the love of Him, to renounce all besides.

For the first years, I commonly employed myself during the time set apart for devotion, with the thoughts of death, judgement, hell, heaven, and my sins. Thus I continued some years applying my mind carefully the rest of the day, and even in the midst of my business, to the presence of GOD, whom I considered always as with me, often as in me.

At length I came insensibly to do the same thing during my set time of prayer, which caused in me great delight and consolation. This practice produced in me so high an esteem for GOD, that faith alone was capable to satisfy me in that point. [I suppose he means that all distinct notions he could form of GOD were unsatisfactory, because he perceived them to be unworthy of GOD, and therefore his mind was not to be satisfied but by the views of faith, which apprehends GOD as infinite and incomprehensible, as He is in Himself, and not as He can be conceived by human ideas.]

Such was my beginning; and yet I must tell you, that for the first ten years I suffered much: the apprehension that I was not devoted to GOD, as I wished to be, my past sins always present to my mind, and the great unmerited favours which GOD did me, were the matter and source of my sufferings. During this time I fell often, and rose again presently. It seemed to me that the creatures, reason, and GOD Himself were against me; And faith alone for me. I was troubled sometimes with thoughts, that to believe I had received such favours was an effect of my presumption, which pretended to be at once where others arrive with difficulty; at other times that it was a wilful delusion, and that there was no salvation for me.

When I thought of nothing but to end my days in these troubles (which did not at all diminish the trust I had in GOD, and which served only to increase my faith), I found myself changed all at once; and my soul, which till that time was in trouble, felt a profound inward peace, as if she were in her centre and place of rest.

Ever since that time I walk before GOD simply, in faith, with humility and with love; and I apply myself diligently to do nothing and think nothing which may displease Him. I hope that when I have done what I can, He will do with me what He pleases.

As for what passes in me at present, I cannot express it. I have no pain or difficulty about my state, because I have no will but that of GOD, which I endeavour to accomplish in all things, and to which I am so resigned, that I would not take up a straw from the ground against His order, or from any other motive but purely that of love to Him.

I have quitted all forms of devotion and set prayers but those to which my state obliges me. And I make it my business only to persevere in His holy presence, wherein I keep myself by a simple attention, and a general fond regard to GOD, which I may call an actual presence of GOD; or, to speak better, an habitual, silent, and secret conversation of the soul with GOD, which often causes in me joys and raptures inwardly, and sometimes also outwardly, so great that I am forced to use means to moderate them, and prevent their appearance to others.

In short, I am assured beyond all doubt, that my soul has been with GOD above these thirty years. I pass over many things, that I may not be tedious to you, yet I think it proper to inform you after what manner I consider myself before GOD, whom I behold as my King.

I consider myself as the most wretched of men, full of sores and corruption, and who has committed all sorts of crimes against his King; touched with a sensible regret I confess to Him all my wickedness, I ask His forgiveness, I abandon myself in His hands, that He may do what He pleases with me. This King, full of mercy and goodness, very far from chastising me, embraces me with love, makes me eat at His table, serves me with His own hands, gives me the key of His treasures; He converses and delights Himself with me incessantly, in a thousand and a thousand ways, and treats me in all respects as His favourite. It is thus I consider myself from time to time in His holy presence.

My most usual method is this simple attention, and such a general passionate regard to GOD; to whom I find myself often attached with greater sweetness and delight than that of an infant at the mother’s breast: so that if I dare use the expression, I should choose to call this state the bosom of GOD, for the inexpressible sweetness which I taste and experience there. If sometimes my thoughts wander from it by necessity or infirmity, I am presently recalled by inward motions, so charming and delicious that I am ashamed to mention them.

I desire your reverence to reflect rather upon my great wretchedness, of which you are fully informed, than upon the great favours which GOD does me, all unworthy and ungrateful as I am.

As for my set hours of prayer, they are only a continuation of the same exercise. Sometimes I consider myself there, as a stone before a carver, whereof he is to make a statue: presenting myself thus before GOD, I desire Him to make His perfect image in my soul, and render me entirely like Himself.

At other times, when I apply myself to prayer, I feel all my spirit and all my soul lift itself up without any care or effort of mine; and it continues as it were suspended and firmly fixed in GOD, as in its centre and place of rest.

I know that some charge this state with inactivity, delusion, and self-love: I confess that it is a holy inactivity, and would be a happy self-love, if the soul in that state were capable of it; because in effect, while she is in this repose, she cannot be disturbed by such acts as she was formerly accustomed to, and which were then her support, but would now rather hinder than assist her.

Yet I cannot bear that this should be called delusion; because the soul which thus enjoys GOD desires herein nothing but Him. If this be delusion in me, it belongs to GOD to remedy it. Let Him do what He pleases with me: I desire only Him, and to be wholly devoted to Him.

You will, however, oblige me in sending me your opinion, to which I always pay a great deference, for I have a singular esteem for your reverence, and am yours in our Lord.

BarbTherese

Litany of St. Paul the Apostle

V. The great Saint Paul, vessel of election,
is indeed worthy to be glorified,
R. For he also deserved to possess the twelfth throne.

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us.
Queen conceived without Original Sin, pray for us.
Saint Paul, etc.
Apostle of the Gentiles, Vessel of election,
St. Paul, who wast rapt to the third heaven,
St. Paul, who heard things not given to man to utter,
St. Paul, who knew nothing but Christ and Him crucified,
St. Paul, whose love for Christ was stronger than death,
St. Paul, who wished to be dissolved and to be with Christ,
St. Paul, whose zeal knew no bounds,
St. Paul, who made thyself all to all, to gain all to Christ,
St. Paul, who called thyself prisoner of Christ for us,
St. Paul, who wast jealous of us with the jealousy of God,
St. Paul, who gloried only in the Cross of Christ,
St. Paul, who bore in thy body the mortification of Christ,
St. Paul, who exclaimed: "With Christ I am nailed to the cross!"
St. Paul, that we may awake and sin no more,
That we may not receive the grace of God in vain,
That we may walk in newness of life,
That we may work out our salvation with fear and trembling,
That we may put on the armor of God,
That we may stand against the deceits of the wicked one,
That we may stand fast to the last,
That we may press forward to the mark,
That we may win the crown,

Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world,
Spare us, O Lord.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.
Have mercy on us.

Let Us Pray.

O God, Who hast taught the whole world by the preaching of blessed Paul the Apostle, grant that we who celebrate his memory may, by following his example, be drawn unto Thee, Through Our Lord Jesus Christ Thy Son, Who with Thee liveth and reigneth in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end.

OFFICE READINGS 13TH APRIL 2023 

Second Reading

From the Jerusalem Catecheses     

Baptism is a symbol of Christ's passion

You were led down to the font of holy baptism just as Christ was taken down from the cross and placed in the tomb which is before your eyes. Each of you was asked, “Do you believe in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit?” You made the profession of faith that brings salvation, you were plunged into the water, and three times you rose again. This symbolised the three days Christ spent in the tomb.

As our Saviour spent three days and three nights in the depths of the earth, so your first rising from the water represented the first day and your first immersion represented the first night. At night a man cannot see, but in the day he walks in the light. So when you were immersed in the water it was like night for you and you could not see, but when you rose again it was like coming into broad daylight. In the same instant you died and were born again; the saving water was both your tomb and your mother.

Solomon’s phrase in another context is very apposite here. He spoke of a time to give birth, and a time to die. For you, however, it was the reverse: a time to die, and a time to be born, although in fact both events took place at the same time and your birth was simultaneous with your death.

This is something amazing and unheard of! It was not we who actually died, were buried and rose again. We only did these things symbolically, but we have been saved in actual fact. It is Christ who was crucified, who was buried and who rose again, and all this has been attributed to us. We share in his sufferings symbolically and gain salvation in reality. What boundless love for men! Christ’s undefiled hands were pierced by the nails; he suffered the pain. I experience no pain, no anguish, yet by the share that I have in his sufferings he freely grants me salvation.

Let no one imagine that baptism consists only in the forgiveness of sins and in the grace of adoption. Our baptism is not like the baptism of John, which conferred only the forgiveness of sins. We know perfectly well that baptism, besides washing away our sins and bringing us the gift of the Holy Spirit, is a symbol of the sufferings of Christ. This is why Paul exclaims: Do you not know that when we were baptized into Christ Jesus we were, by that very action, sharing in his death? By baptism we went with him into the tomb.

Responsory

℟. These are the new-born lambs who have been crying out Alleluia. They have just come from the fount,* and they are filled with radiance, alleluia.

℣. They stand before the Lamb clothed in white garments and holding palms in their hands,* and they are filled with radiance, alleluia.

BarbTherese

divine_mercy.jpg?ssl=1

This coming Sunday, 16th April 2023, is............

DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY

stfaustina.jpg

St Faustina of The Divine Mercy

Edited by BarbTherese

BarbTherese

From Divine Office (General Calendar)   

FRIDAY 14th April 2023  

EASTER FRIDAY                       

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230414/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230414/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230414/compline.htm

DAILY MASS

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCNACELwBSFXyq4

1pm Mass - Friday 14 April

Scheduled for 4/14/23, 12:30 PM

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

THIRD LETTER

For a soldier friend whom he encourages to trust in God.

WE have a GOD who is infinitely gracious, and knows all our wants. I always thought that He would reduce you to extremity. He will come in His own time, and when you least expect it. Hope in Him more than ever: thank Him with me for the favours He does you, particularly for the fortitude and patience which He gives you in your afflictions: it is a plain mark of the care He takes of you; comfort yourself then with Him, and give thanks for all.

I admire also the fortitude and bravery of M. GOD has given him a good disposition, and a good will; but there is in him still a little of the world, and a great deal of youth. I hope the affliction which GOD has sent him will prove a wholesome remedy to him, and make him enter into himself; it is an accident very proper to engage him to put all his trust in Him, who accompanies him everywhere: let him think of Him the oftenest he can, especially in the greatest dangers. A little lifting up the heart suffices; a little remembrance of GOD, one act of inward worship, though upon a march, and sword in hand, are prayers which, however short, are nevertheless very acceptable to GOD; and far from lessening a soldier’s courage in occasions of danger, they best serve to fortify it.

Let him then think of GOD the most he can; let him accustom himself, by degrees, to this small but holy exercise; nobody perceives it, and nothing is easier than to repeat often in the day these little internal adorations. Recommend to him, if you please, that he think of GOD the most he can, in the manner here directed; it is very fit and most necessary for a soldier, who is daily exposed to dangers of life, and often of his salvation. I hope that GOD will assist him and all the family, to whom I present my service, being theirs and yours.

BarbTherese

OFFICE OF READINGS

Second Reading

From the Jerusalem Catecheses

The anointing with the Holy Spirit

When we were baptized into Christ and clothed ourselves in him, we were transformed into the likeness of the Son of God. Having destined us to be his adopted sons, God gave us a likeness to Christ in his glory, and living as we do in communion with Christ, God’s anointed, we ourselves are rightly called “the anointed ones.” When he said: Do not touch my anointed ones, God was speaking of us.

We became “the anointed ones” when we received the sign of the Holy Spirit. Indeed, everything took place in us by means of images, because we ourselves are images of Christ. Christ bathed in the river Jordan, imparting to its waters the fragrance of his divinity, and when he came up from them the Holy Spirit descended upon him, like resting upon like. So we also, after coming up from the sacred waters of baptism, were anointed with chrism, which signifies the Holy Spirit, by whom Christ was anointed and of whom blessed Isaiah prophesied in the name of the Lord: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me. He has sent me to preach good news to the poor.

Christ’s anointing was not by human hands, nor was it with ordinary oil. On the contrary, having destined him to be the Saviour of the whole world, the Father himself anointed him with the Holy Spirit. The words of Peter bear witness to this: Jesus of Nazareth, whom God anointed with the Holy Spirit. And David the prophet proclaimed: Your throne, O God, shall endure for ever; your royal sceptre is a sceptre of justice. You have loved righteousness and hated iniquity; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness above all your fellows.

The oil of gladness with which Christ was anointed was a spiritual oil; it was in fact the Holy Spirit himself, who is called the oil of gladness because he is the source of spiritual joy. But we too have been anointed with oil, and by this anointing we have entered into fellowship with Christ and have received a share in his life. Beware of thinking that this holy oil is simply ordinary oil and nothing else. After the invocation of the Spirit it is no longer ordinary oil but the gift of Christ, and by the presence of his divinity it becomes the instrument through which we receive the Holy Spirit. While symbolically, on our foreheads and senses, our bodies are anointed with this oil that we see, our souls are sanctified by the holy and life-giving Spirit.

LITANY FOR THE SOULS IN PURGATORY

O Jesus, You suffered and died that all mankind might be saved and brought to eternal happiness. Hear our pleas for further mercy on the souls of:

For my dear parents and grand­parents,     Jesus, have mercy!
My brothers and sisters and other near relatives,     Jesus, have mercy!
My godparents and sponsors of confirmation,      Jesus, have mercy!
My spiritual and temporal benefactors,     Jesus, have mercy!
My friends and neighbors,     Jesus, have mercy!
All for whom love or duty calls me to pray,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who have suffered disadvantages or harm through me,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who are especially beloved by you,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those whose release is near at hand,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who desire most to be united with you,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who endure the greatest sufferings,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who are least remembered,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those whose release is most remote,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who are most deserving because of their services to the Church,     Jesus, have mercy!
The rich, who now are the most destitute,     Jesus, have mercy!
The mighty, who now are powerless,     Jesus, have mercy!
The once spiritually blind, who now see their folly,     Jesus, have mercy!
The frivolous, who spent their time in idleness,     Jesus, have mercy!
The poor who did not seek the treasures of heaven,     Jesus, have mercy!
The tepid, who devoted little time to prayer,     Jesus, have mercy!
The indolent, who neglected to perform good works,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those of little faith, who neglected the fre­quent reception of the sacraments,     Jesus, have mercy!
The habitual sinners, who owe their salvation to a miracle of grace,     Jesus, have mercy!
Parents who failed to watch over their children,     Jesus, have mercy!
Superiors who were not solicitous for the salvation of those entrusted to them,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who strove for worldly riches and pleasures,     Jesus, have mercy!
The worldly-minded, who failed to use their wealth and talents in the service of God,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who witnessed the death of others, but would not think of their own,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who did not provide for the life here­after,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those whose sentence is severe because of the great things entrusted to them,     Jesus, have mercy!
The popes, kings, and rulers,     Jesus, have mercy!
The bishops and their counselors,     Jesus, have mercy!
My teachers and spiritual advisers,     Jesus, have mercy!
The priests and religious of the Catholic Church,     Jesus, have mercy!
The defenders of the holy faith,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who died on the battlefield,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who fought for their country,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who were buried in the sea,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who died of strokes,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who died of heart attacks,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who suffered and died of cancer or AIDS,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who died suddenly in accidents,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who died without the last rites of the Church,     Jesus, have mercy!
Those who shall die within the next 24 hours,     Jesus, have mercy!
My own poor soul when I shall have to appear before your judgment seat.     Jesus, have mercy!

Closing Prayers

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.
Let perpetual light shine upon them forever more
with your saints in heaven because you are so gracious.

LEADER: The Lord be with you.

RESPONSE: And with your Spirit.

May the prayer of your suppliant people, we beseech you, O Lord,
benefit the souls of your departed servants and handmaids.
Deliver them from all their sins and make them partakers of your redemption.

Amen

BarbTherese

important-message-612x499-1.jpg

SUNDAY

16TH APRIL 2023, THIS SUNDAY,

IS                                

THE FEAST OF DIVINE MERCY