An Old School Catholic Message Board

Veils......

maximillion

I think my most 'un favorite' was the BVM Sisters of Dubuque:

4890812102_af75dfa534.jpg

They had several schools here in the SF Area, and I had always thought it was a 'tale' that the habit was constructed to remind the sisters of a coffin... but a friend of mine went to their high school in the 1950s and she said that it was INDEED supposed to remind them that one day they would end up in a coffin!  Good grief!

And it was truly ugly... I wish I could find a picture of them in a group.... but this is close...

BVMs.jpg

• 4 months later...

I wish someone would post a picture of that plastic piece! I can't picture it in my mind. I'm still curious about OLAM's Poor Clares veil design...Theirs is rectangle...One of my all time favorite's! I love full coverage!!!! Ears and all!! So regal and formal!!(while less coverage and material and ease of movement is more comfortable...the "full meal deal" so to speak..really attracts me for some reason)

I can tell you the OLAM's veils snap onto their headgear with 3 snaps (as demonstrated to me by a PCPA herself).

As far as convent haircuts, mine was often done with a pair of sewing scissors!  When viewing the "results,"  I felt compelled to pray to St. Joan of Arc for strength!  According to the historical record,

she chose to crop her hair very short (into a type of bob)--knowing quite well that it was a death  sentence in the English courts!

Heh this reminded me of two stories:

a) when I entered the 1st convent, I had long hair (kind of like now again).  Even though the sisters wanted me to keep the hair long I wanted it off (because it makes it much quicker when getting ready in the morning).  So -- I was taken to a salon, and the hairdresser did it for free.  Well -- when I walked out of there it looked like I had two wings sticking out of the sides of my head.  I was like ... oh heck no.  So ... my partner in crime (she is now a perpetually professed sister) came to the rescue, with a pair of fabric sissors.  She helped me cut those wings off so that the haircut would be a bit more normal.  I don't know if the formation sister (who took me to get the cut done) noticed it, or if she chose not to say anything but I kept 100% quiet about WHO helped me get rid of the wings.  Besides, my partner in crime agreed ... IT WAS HIDEOUS and I did have to go out in public after all.

b) in the 2nd convent, all entering postulants get their hair cut.  Basically to a boy-like cut, and then a sister (sometimes a brother) would help maintain it.  I arrived with short hair so it wasn't that bad, but ... during my second half of the experience I didn't get a haircut for about 8 months.  When I got home my hair was stunted (the previous cut was so bad that my hair really didn't grow much).  When I was able to get a job again with my previous employer (no interview needed) ... the 1st thing I did (after renting a car) was to go to the local hair cuttery, get my hair dyed (NO MORE GRAY) and a beautiful short cut.  I felt like a million bucks.

maximillion

Wore the whole-head-covered guimpe, wimple, long veil for 10 years, then we went over to the cap and shorted veil. In the noviciate we had a hair cutting session up in the night noviciate bathrooms about every six weeks, and a proper pair of scissors. After that I used  the scissors from the common room draw to cut my own hair (no mirrors).

When I left my hair was in very bad condition, stuck out in tufts all over my head and in places where my veil had rubbed when we wore the long one, there were little bald patches.

No wonder I retained a head covering and still do....though my hair is shoulder length and the bald patches resolved.

I perhaps need to add that I had psoriases in my scalp pre-entry and this was not improved by the veil, and I am sure, contributed to the poor state of my scalp.

A number of the Sisters who wore the old coifs ended up having permanent problems with bald patches and in a few cases, having to have skin grafts on their ears.   Definitely think there was a reason for making some of those headpieces more practical....

I went to a high school with the Daughters of Charity shortly after they went to their original modified habit.  It was designed by Dior for them as a gift of appreciation for the work they do.   It looked beautiful and practical.  

habit-change-1964-mcphee-priller.jpg?w=2  First modified headpiece  

And instead of starch, the new headgear had a small piece of metal inserted into the white fabric of the new coif/hat rather than starch.  

But soon after they began wearing it, many of the sisters started getting problems with their hearing and/or balance.  Upon investigation, they learned that the new headpiece was hitting a spot where it was affecting the inner ear.  Habit headgear redesigned... no more problem.

evelynefranc-150x112.jpg Second modified headpiece

Lots of reasons for going modified.... and some took a few tries to 'get it right'!

maximillion

I am SO pleased they altered that head gear...........

Simplicity in everything.

brandelynmarie

Yes, the simpler the better. :nun: I love how Mother Mary Francis PCC talks about simple veils in A Right To Be Merry...she mentions that even being caught in a down pour wouldn't be a problem! :rain:

maximillion

I always wondered how those Daughters of Charity managed in the rain. Badly, one imagines!

It was bad enough having to wear a 'cap' with wings made from a starched rectangle of cotton when I was a probationer nurse!

But soon after they began wearing it, many of the sisters started getting problems with their hearing and/or balance.  Upon investigation, they learned that the new headpiece was hitting a spot where it was affecting the inner ear.  Habit headgear redesigned... no more problem.

I get that with wearing headbands/alice bands and sometimes when I wear sunglasses too long. Makes me feel woozy just reading about it.