An Old School Catholic Message Board

Update On Nonnovi!

NonNovi

So.... this is the right name and address -- Sorry for the mis-read, Non-Novi!      

Stijn Peeters

Servi Jesu et Mariae

Auhofstrasse 22

3372 Blindenmarkt

Austria

(I did figure out that it was 'Auhofstrasse' rather than 'Autostrasse'!!!   ;)

Your letter sounded so happy and at peace, it made me very happy when I received it.  And I put it aside to reply to with Chrismas cards... and well, let me be the first to wish you a Happy Easter! :rabbit:

But seriously, we will remember you on St. Joseph's Day (March 19) when you enter the Novitiate.... and when that 30 day Retreat will be so we can pray for you????

AND do any of the pictures on the SJM website show you? (if you want to tell us/share this)

Edited by AnneLine

How has the adjustment been to living in community life? 

The Liturgy at the motherhouse sounds fantastic! Sadly no parishes near me have the OF ad orientem, the masses are ok but not nearly what you are describing. 

I would love to send you a letter from time to time so if you feel comfortable post or PM me how it should be addressed.

Adjusting to community life can be very difficult in the beginning. If you have to live together with about 25 very different personalities, you just know there will be people or behavior you like less than others. But that's the point, to forget what you don't like in other people and to find the beauty God has placed in them.

Adjusting to the daily convent life also wasn't easy, most of all the very strict day schedule and just being everywhere punctual. But you get used to it, and it's actually a blessing to not have to think about what you are going to do next.

The liturgy is fantastic! I'm kind of spoiled I think, going to Mass somewhere else now is a bit dissapointing ;) Holy Mass is holy Mass of course, but if you're used to liturgy where the priests handle everything with so much respect and dignity, going to a regular parish where the priest is a bit more sloppy with things is a bit awkward.

You can always send me letters, I love letters! But I must warn you, as novices we are only allowed to write once a month to family. That's it. I will receive the letters you send, but can't answer them for a year. Don't let that prevent you from writing! Maybe I'll do answer somewhere in the future. Getting unexpected letters is really great.

And I'm not on the pictures on the SJM website yet. But last year we also made a website for the Belgian "convent", where I have spend a lot of time the months before entrance. I'm on a lot of pictures there. It's in Dutch, but the text is basically the same as on the German/English website: www.dienarenvanjezusenmaria.org  (look for "Foto's")

So this me serving Mass. Only difference is that I don't have a beard anymore (not allowed to have one).

4042777_orig.jpg

TheresaThoma

I was just curious because I currently live a communal life (I live/work at a home of hospitality for pregnant and parenting women) and I was wondering how it compared to religious communal life. Thanks for the insight.

Be on the lookout for a letter from me then. I know how letters and religious life go though. I have a few friends in various stages of formation so their ability to reply varies. This also gives me an excuse to buy a few more "forever" international stamps. (Ok I'm a bit of a geek about letters and stamps).

Ancilla Domini

I did figure out that it was 'Auhofstrasse' rather than 'Autostrasse'!!!   ;)

The autostrasse would have been a bit too loud and busy, wouldn't you say? :P

(I did figure out that it was 'Auhofstrasse' rather than 'Autostrasse'!!!    ;)

The autostrasse would have been a bit too loud and busy, wouldn't you say?  :P

It really made me sad to think of how noisy it would be to do ones novitiate at an Autostrasse!  

A8%20Alpnach.jpg

But some people will do ANYTHING for God!!!!  And be JOYFUL about it!!!!

racecar-300x189.gif

Edited by AnneLine

Uhm, we don't live that far away from the Autostrasse... :unsure: :hehe2:  So, last day at home. Again. Tonight one of our priests is picking me up to go to our Belgian house and tomorrow after Mass we'll hit the road for Austria. This week went so fast...

NonNovi, you have our prayers and love to follow you into the Novitiate.  Your family may come around a bit more... we will pray.

My bet is they will be happy when they continue to see how happy you are.... and how perfect a fit this seems to be for you.

We'll be praying for you and celebrating with you and St. Joseph on your clothing day!  

................. :paco:  :priest:  :priest:  :priest:  :priest:  :priest:  :priest:  :priest:  :paco:

We will watch for photos on the SJM website when you become novices.

Do you know approximately when you will be doing that 30 Day Long Retreat?   Because we would like to pray for you and your brothers in a special way during those intense days. 

AnneLine is a HORRIBLE paper correspondent :paperbag:  :mail:  :paperbag: (well, the truth is out now!) but I will try to get a letter or two off to you.  But if I don't write, know I do pray! :pray:

Godspeed!

Edited by AnneLine

Oh... and.... NonNovi... you can ask one of the mods to change your 'status' to religious I would think at this point..... 

Do you know approximately when you will be doing that 30 Day Long Retreat?   Because we would like to pray for you and your brothers in a special way during those intense days.

The whole month of May (I think the novicemaster said we will start in the last week of April and end in the last week of May, so we can still go to the first Mass of our newest priest in his home parish on Ascension).

The goodbye was hard, but it went well. Even my father got emotional. The priest that picked me up adviced them to visit me in Austria. At some point they will do that, I'm sure.

Today I also got rid of facebook. The scariest thing is that I immediately wanted to post on facebook that I got rid of it :hehe2:  I won't miss it. And now I'll have to leave Phatmass too. So this will be my last post for probably the next 7 years or so. Or not, who knows.

I'll pray for you all! :priest:

TheresaThoma

Bye Nonnovi! Good luck! I'll be praying for you particularly on St Joseph feast day and during May!

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures from Non-Novi's entrance into the Novitiate!!!!!  (Stijn P.)

Can anyone translate the German?   

http://sjm-congregation.org/htdocs/aktuelles/2014_03_noviziat.html

DSC_0439016.jpg

DSC_0445017.jpg

They aren't excited or anything!

Can anyone figure out which of them is Non-Novi?  This is the picture he gave us earlier in the thread, and he said it was fine to watch for him on the Servants of Jesus and Mary's website....

4042777_orig.jpg

Edited by AnneLine

Pictures from Non-Novi's entrance into the Novitiate!!!!! (Stijn P.)

Can anyone translate the German?

http://sjm-congregation.org/htdocs/aktuelles/2014_03_noviziat.html

DSC_0439016.jpg

DSC_0445017.jpg

They aren't excited or anything!

Can anyone figure out which of them is Non-Novi? This is the picture he gave us earlier in the thread, and he said it was fine to watch for him on the Servants of Jesus and Mary's website....

4042777_orig.jpg

Looks like middle left...

The 2nd paragraph concerns the novices... It says that "On the same day [feast of St. Joseph] four novices were clothed, Boris M., Stijn P., Peter S. and Wolfgang W. With a Frenchman and a Belgian, our novitiate has become international. The year of the novitiate is a year of deepening the spiritual life and testing the vocation. We ask the Lord that he especially lead our new brothers in this important year."

I'm figuring either 2nd or 3rd from the left... when I have some more time I'll try to look up the other pictutures on the SJM website (he gave us the link last page of this thread) because there were a lot more pictures of him and we may be able to ID him better....  If anyone has more time than I do today, feel free to give it a try....

regardless, he looks SOOOO happy!  :)