An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feeling Like A Community Doesn't Want Me?

Blue.Rose

Visitor, the order she is interested in has sisters in their 30s and is certainly accepting new vocations.  They just don't have any Australian sisters (yet) and she realizes that others who enter with her will likely be 18, so *she'll* be the old one, haha!

I have heard from a few ladies who have entered communities where most of the sisters were from another country / culture and the adaptations have always been difficult. For example an American or Australian entering a British community, one would think that there would be no big issues, but it is amazing how even the littlest of things will come up.  Food, personal habits, colloquial language, and cultural histories all come to the fore. Or an Australian who enters a community where most of the members are Filipino and Korean, will find issues around food, cultural habits and at times language. These things are not insurmountable in and of themselves, but entering a community always requires adjustment and adaptation to the rhythm, time schedules, rule, & various personalities

(some not always pleasant) Though one might think that being in a religious community, those who are there are very "holy," spiritual and peace loving, unfortunately, this is not always reality. We find every kind of personality, fault and irritation in our fellow religious, that we do in the general population. St Therese' of Lisieux was always seeking holiness in the little, everyday annoyances and idiosyncrasies within her community.  On the other hand, the kind of love one encounters in community can not easily be imagined either. People enter a Monastery to seek God, to find Him in everyday life and in each other. I have many friends still in monastic life, priesthood, men and women.  Not sure if this makes sense, but unless one has lived this life, this concept is not always easy to understand. I also believe a variety of ages in community is such a blessing, and the older, more steady and wise members have so much to offer. A community where there are lots of 30 somethings is a great thing, but having the balance of the elders is really a gift as well. If one can learn to accept all of the difficulties,  unexpected changes and challenges of religious life, there is no finer way of of living. The riches and blessings are unimaginable, especially when Christ is the All.

I'm happy to accept the difficulties I may face entering a foreign community. It will be challenging but the work the order does and the opportunities I'll get will be the best thing.
My heart is in this and I'm receiving Spiritual Direction so I'm following what I believe is God's path for my life.

It's now up to the Order. They will either take me or reject me.

Edited by Blue.Rose

I'm happy to accept the difficulties I may face entering a foreign community. It will be challenging but the work the order does and the opportunities I'll get will be the best thing.
My heart is in this and I'm receiving Spiritual Direction so I'm following what I believe is God's path for my life.

:dance5:

TheresaThoma

I pray that God's Will be done and that you find peace in whatever the outcome is.

Yes, I wish you all the best and hope that you are able to persevere.  The order likely wants to give you time to discern, since you are such a 'fresh' new Catholic ;), but hopefully they will be able to remain in contact with you until you are 'seasoned' enough to ask for entrance!