An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Enter Religious Life?

Sister Marie

I hope that you SD is a good one, and will help you discern your vocation - as well as talk to others who have experienced religious life or may be considering it and this can be a rewarding experience - providing you do not allow yourself to be confused over different opinions etc. and not all do experience confusion.  And if one does, then to stay with that confusion until one is able to sort it all out for oneself.

Sometimes, God can, as nunsense pointed out, "write straight in crooked lines".  Meaning in your instance that initially you thought a secular institute then a CV vocation and now religious life which I think perhaps may be confusing to you since the call came suddenly.  Sometimes a real vocation and call can come suddenly.  To my way of thinking, I would be relying on my SD for advice as to the way forward for you.  This does not mean at all that you do not talk with others, unless of course your SD advises it and has sound reasons for doing so.

God bless you in your discerning............Barb :)

I am not at all young, well past my twenties into my late sixties - and I am not discerning my vocation.  I am called to lay celibate state with private vows and a specific way of life.  My experiences in religious life was long ago and not at all lengthy and I left of my own accord and choice both times.

Yes I think I remember you writing on here about a special private vows home mass? That is also a blessed and undervalued way of life. St Gemma Galgani was under private vows.

Dear oh dear, my goodness!  So many "what ifs".  What if a plane crashed into my home? What if I found out I had terminal cancer? What if, I broke my arm?   What if.......what if.......what if. :popcorn2:

Life has many what if's that actually do come about and with God's Grace and one's own application, we really do work through it all.  Case of have to.  And if one marries, more what if's.  If one stays single, more what if's.  And sure, religious life does have some what if's that do come about and more that probably don't.  And one just works through whatever and can only 'play the cards one is dealt' and that is in God's Hands entirely - we can put full trust and confidence in that and that He is with us as we work through whatever..........sorry, any and all what if's.  :)

"Today's (real and actual) problems are enough for today, tomorrow can care for itself"...........and what if's exist in a tomorrow if it comes and exist only in today's imagination.  ????!

Barb, this is a very timely reminder for me, and the Bible verse has called to mind an excerpt from that other treasure trove of spiritual wisdom, Winnie-the-Pooh. ;)

"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"

"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.

Piglet was comforted by this.

petitpèlerin

This Bible verse really spoke to me when Jesus said in John 15:13
"No one can have greater love than to lay down his life for his friends."

That quote really struck me a few weeks ago at a crucial moment. It made me realize that conjugal love is not the only love capable and worthy of ordering one's life. I love the brothers and sisters of my community, some of them I love very, very dearly, and I'm giving my life for them. If it were simply about myself and God I could remain in the world and it wouldn't matter where I go since God is with me everywhere. For me the choice for religious life is a choice to give myself to my brothers and sisters, to live with them, to love them, and to receive their love. Well, that and the fact that I realize I'm incapable of living a good enough life on my own, and the structure of the life of the sisters is exactly what I need to live my life better and become the saint that God wants me to be. And most of all, because there's nothing else I want to do with my life than to live it close to Jesus, in the sacraments and adoration.

Oremus1, just to address one of your questions, some communities do have intensive studies. For example, Dominicans, and my community - the Community of Saint John - which was founded by a Dominican. For me, I need to have an intellectual life and to be able to always grow in it, but without making an asceticism out of study, as in the Dominican tradition. My community's approach to study is perfect for me, and that was part of my discernment. There was another community I was deeply drawn to but they didn't have the intellectual formation that my community has, that was important to me. I'm sure that if you're called to religious life you would likewise find a community that perfectly meets your intellectual needs.

That quote really struck me a few weeks ago at a crucial moment. It made me realize that conjugal love is not the only love capable and worthy of ordering one's life. I love the brothers and sisters of my community, some of them I love very, very dearly, and I'm giving my life for them. If it were simply about myself and God I could remain in the world and it wouldn't matter where I go since God is with me everywhere. For me the choice for religious life is a choice to give myself to my brothers and sisters, to live with them, to love them, and to receive their love. Well, that and the fact that I realize I'm incapable of living a good enough life on my own, and the structure of the life of the sisters is exactly what I need to live my life better and become the saint that God wants me to be. And most of all, because there's nothing else I want to do with my life than to live it close to Jesus, in the sacraments and adoration.

Can I ask, everyone has a relationship with God.

But the husband gives conjugal love to wife

The nun or monk gives to their brethren.

but what of the priest or CV, do they have what you describe? to whom?

PhuturePriest

To give the Church which is in so much need everything I have, and doing so with an undivided heart, as Saint Paul spoke about.

Edited by FuturePriest387

PhuturePriest

Can I ask, everyone has a relationship with God.

But the husband gives conjugal love to wife

The nun or monk gives to their brethren.

but what of the priest or CV, do they have what you describe? to whom?

It honestly boggles me that you ask this about priests. I can somewhat understand asking about consecrated virgins, since they aren't as well known, but priests notoriously give everything. They give up everything they have and offer all that they are and can offer to the Church. That's a difficult burden at the best of times, but we are living in a state far from the best of times. Priests are the main target of anti-Catholic scrutiny in the culture, a priest is being sued for not breaking the seal of confession and could go to jail, and there are priests in the Middle East being martyred. Even without these things the priesthood is a huge sacrifice, but with them it only becomes magnified.

Priests have this love that was mentioned earlier for their parishioners, their sheep of the flock that they have been entrusted by God to shepherd and save. This is why the priesthood is such a big deal: We as laypeople and religious are in charge of saving our souls and the souls of those around us, but priests are charged with saving every soul under their care and with doing everything they possibly can to save every soul that is under their care. That is also why being a priest is very stressful, and why the stakes are so high. "To whom much is given, much is demanded." A priest who shirks his vocation will receive a very harsh judgment from God, not because he was lazy, but because souls were lost because of the priest's negligence. This is why Saint Justin Martyr (At least I'm pretty sure it was him) said "The road to hell is paved with the skulls of Bishops." The stakes are so very high, and it's very easy to screw it up.

Edited by FuturePriest387

It honestly boggles me that you ask this about priests. I can somewhat understand asking about consecrated virgins, since they aren't as well known, but priests notoriously give everything. They give up everything they have and offer all that they are and can offer to the Church. That's a difficult burden at the best of times, but we are living in a state far from the best of times. Priests are the main target of anti-Catholic scrutiny in the culture, a priest is being sued for not breaking the seal of confession and could go to jail, and there are priests in the Middle East being martyred. Even without these things the priesthood is a huge sacrifice, but with them it only becomes magnified.

do you mean the particular church? i mean, who is his human community. or is it his context. or the world. and if so is that the same for CVs? what about hermits?

Oremus, the hermit vocation is summed up for me by one sentence at the end of John Buchanan's novel Mr Standfast: "I had that q.ueer sense that comes sometimes to a man that a friend is present when he cannot see him." We can't see the saints, but we know that they love us and they're praying for us and helping us. It's the same with hermits. They still have people to minister to face-to-face, in a very immediate direct way - no one lives cut off from the world! - but their gift of love is also for all of us, bestowed very personally through their prayer and daily work. Sometimes, when I'm very stressed or upset by something and I feel isolated and alone, I remember that a whole legion of unseen praying people have got my back (on earth and in heaven) and I'm cheered up enough to go on. Meanwhile, most diocesan priests have got a parish community that is their first responsibility, and sometimes they may even share a house with other priests. Community takes many forms and it is always part of Christian living.

I am a single woman, in formation with a secular institute, and my own understanding of community is informed by something that Magdeleine Hutin wrote (founder of the Little Sisters of Jesus, who share the spirituality of my institute). "This is the essence of our vocation: to succeed in the difficult task of finding place in our hearts for all those people whom we are in close contact with in our day-to-day life, those whom the Lord places on our path, and to do it as though they were the only friend we had." This too is a kind of community living, even though it might seem very solitary.

Edited by beatitude

PhuturePriest

do you mean the particular church? i mean, who is his human community. or is it his context. or the world. and if so is that the same for CVs? what about hermits?

Any soul that is put under a priest's care is one of his flock. Obviously, a priest is a priest to every single person in the Church, but the salvation of every soul in the Church is not directly under his care -- only ones that are entrusted to him through either his parishes (a priest usually has many parishes throughout his life) and even Catholics not in his parish but who seek guidance and the Sacraments from him.

PhuturePriest

As for the rest of your question, consecrated virgins and hermits do not have the same vocation a priest does. Hermits are charged with their salvation and praying for the salvation of others, as are consecrated virgins. They aren't directly in charge of the laity the way priests and bishops are.

As for the rest of your question, consecrated virgins and hermits do not have the same vocation a priest does. Hermits are charged with their salvation and praying for the salvation of others, as are consecrated virgins. They aren't directly in charge of the laity the way priests and bishops are.

i didnt say they did. i asked if their main community was their particular church.

PhuturePriest

i didnt say they did. i asked if their main community was their particular church.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand the question. There is no more than one "church". There is the Catholic Church the institution, and then there is the Body of Christ which embodies it. Are you referring to parishes?

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand the question. There is no more than one "church". There is the Catholic Church the institution, and then there is the Body of Christ which embodies it. Are you referring to parishes?

I read about it in the code of canon law and Apostolorum Successores - directory of pastoral ministry of the bishop. i think it is the church in a territorial area, maybe a diocese? or a parish conext? i cant remember. but i think it is the part of the church in a locality

A particular church is larger than a parish.  It can be understood in two senses.

One is the sense expressed when Paul writes to the church in Ephesus.  The Catechism puts it best:

833 The phrase "particular Church," which is first of all the diocese (or eparchy), refers to a community of the Christian faithful in communion of faith and sacraments with their bishop ordained in apostolic succession.313 These particular Churches "are constituted after the model of the universal Church; it is in these and formed out of them that the one and unique Catholic Church exists."314

The second sense refers to conglomerations of these particular churches under the same rite and governance.  We have the Latin Church, the various sui juris Eastern Churches, etc.

A particular church is larger than a parish.  It can be understood in two senses.

One is the sense expressed when Paul writes to the church in Ephesus.  The Catechism puts it best:

The second sense refers to conglomerations of these particular churches under the same rite and governance.  We have the Latin Church, the various sui juris Eastern Churches, etc.

oh yes, i meant the first one