An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents Against Religious Life

chrysostom

I can only tell from my point of view and my experience.I'm truly blessed with my family.They give me full support in all my decisions.

For them my possible vocation is true blessing and i'm so graceful for that,Their support and kindness are important part of my discerning process.

I can only tell from my point of view and my experience.I'm truly blessed with my family.They give me full support in all my decisions.

For them my possible vocation is true blessing and i'm so graceful for that,Their support and kindness are important part of my discerning process.

hey that's so wonderful!  :)

I haven't told my dad but I'm sure he won't be surprised. My mum doesn't want me to enter and is disappointed in my choice but she said she accepts it. Neither of my parents are Catholic so that is hard.

I've been surprised actually by the responses of people I've told. They either changed the subject or tried to talk me out of it - and this is from Catholics!

I think the only person who supports me is my Spiritual Director.
It's hard for me and I don't know if I am called even though I want this because it's in my heart.

I take this though as a cross in following Christ.

I haven't told my dad but I'm sure he won't be surprised. My mum doesn't want me to enter and is disappointed in my choice but she said she accepts it. Neither of my parents are Catholic so that is hard.

I've been surprised actually by the responses of people I've told. They either changed the subject or tried to talk me out of it - and this is from Catholics!

I think the only person who supports me is my Spiritual Director.
It's hard for me and I don't know if I am called even though I want this because it's in my heart.

I take this though as a cross in following Christ.

I will pray for you and for you vocation.Specially for you family that the accept your vocation.I know with time they will realize what religious life means for you and how beautiful is this way of life.To spend life in helping other and be in his Grace it is most beautiful think you can imagine.

I will pray for you and for you vocation.Specially for you family that the accept your vocation.I know with time they will realize what religious life means for you and how beautiful is this way of life.To spend life in helping other and be in his Grace it is most beautiful think you can imagine.

Thank you so much Carla! I'll pray for you too :)

The Order of Saint Benedict is an official religious order, period. It's been officially recognized. The same goes for Orders like the Carmelites, Dominicans, and Franciscans. However, for communities such as the Little Sisters of the Poor, they are not a religious Order. A religious Order is an official status in the Church that is no longer attainable because during a time in the Medieval Ages, billions of them were popping up and they kept asking the Popes permission to be formally recognized, and it was getting crazy and hectic.

So if one finds an order that says Benedict, Carmelite, Dominican, Franciscan, those are all " Religious Orders " , but then with so many of each order out there, how do these orders maintain their official religious order status, if branching out into other parts of the states or the world.  How does one know they are joining a religious order and not a community.

So if one finds an order that says Benedict, Carmelite, Dominican, Franciscan, those are all " Religious Orders " , but then with so many of each order out there, how do these orders maintain their official religious order status, if branching out into other parts of the states or the world.  How does one know they are joining a religious order and not a community.

Frequently they will include that 'in passing' on their website; otherwise, Google them! And if that doesn't yield anything and you're desperate to know, find out who their bishop is and phone him.

My story (short version) my parents opposed my being a priest and being a member of a Religious Order. I was 18 when I decided I would enter the seminary, my parents said I had to wait until I was 21. At the age of 22 I applied to join the Capuchin Friars, my father was indifferent, my mother strongly opposed. My father died 12 months before my ordination. My mother attended but still thought I had thrown away the education my father had worked so hard to give me (her words) When she died 6 years after my ordination she was still not fully reconciled. The end

My mother isn't Catholic and she isn't impressed by my discernment, that's putting it mildly. Her views about Catholicism, well what she's come across and the people she knows, is drastically negative. I wouldn't even be able to post here her actual views, so you get the picture.
My main challenge, aside from all that, is she thinks it's not in my best interests. She thinks the church would hold me back and not let me grow in healthy and natural ways in terms of career, relationships, personal development and so on. She'd rather, if I really needed to do so, to become a pastor in another church (obviously that defeats the point of what I'm called towards). But, I guess, she thinks I'm nuts to want to do this. I suppose it's also caught up in the fact I'm, out of my brothers and sisters, the one who lives closest to her. So she also feels she'd lose me. But as I'm an adult she can't stop me - but other tactics are in full use. So that adds into the mix and impact. My brothers and sisters aren't opposed, I guess they are largely indifferent. Although Ithey think I could be happy with my current lifestyle. But I think it's also no surprise to them as I was always more observant and more engaged with theology than they were. I'm actively discerning with two orders so my next challenge is dealing with telling them when I decide to apply/enter.

Edited by Benedictus

PhuturePriest

Tell them it's free healthcare and no house bills for the rest of your life.

Edited by FuturePriest387