An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents Against Religious Life

chrysostom

Tell them it's free healthcare and no house bills for the rest of your life.

Didn't make a difference in my case. Healthcare in Australia is universal. She was more against me wasting the education my father paid for. Besides she always thought I was too much of a free thinker and too intelligent  :lol4: 

Edited by cappie

PhuturePriest

Didn't make a difference in my case. Healthcare in Australia is universal. She was more against me wasting the education my father paid for

Anyone from Europe doesn't have to worry about healthcare. :P But for Americans, getting free healthcare is like winning the lottery.

Anyone from Europe doesn't have to worry about healthcare. :P But for Americans, getting free healthcare is like winning the lottery.

Yeah you have one crazy system, btw Australia  :smokey: 

PhuturePriest

Yeah you have one crazy system, btw Australia  :smokey: 

It's honestly amazing we have working electricity. Even our internet connections suck. Compared to Europe and Asia, our internet services are deplorable, and we're one of the richest and most powerful nations in the world. You'd think we'd have caught on by now when it comes to internet service.

It's honestly amazing we have working electricity. Even our internet connections smell of elderberries. Compared to Europe and Asia, our internet services are deplorable, and we're one of the richest and most powerful nations in the world. You'd think we'd have caught on by now when it comes to internet service

Yeah but you make it all worthwhile............

It's honestly amazing we have working electricity. Even our internet connections smell of elderberries. Compared to Europe and Asia, our internet services are deplorable, and we're one of the richest and most powerful nations in the world. You'd think we'd have caught on by now when it comes to internet service.

Surely they need to sort the healthcare out first ;)

I'm in Europe so healthcare isn't so much an issue, neither is income security really. I'm already told that any inheritance and wealth will be gone/changed as soon as I enter. Guess I wouldn't have much need for money in an order anyway :idontknow:

maximillion

I'm in Europe so healthcare isn't so much an issue, neither is income security really. I'm already told that any inheritance and wealth will be gone/changed as soon as I enter. Guess I wouldn't have much need for money in an order anyway  :idontknow:

Sorry to hear you are not supported in your intentions Benedictus. Praying...........

It is more and more that parents are against children's religious life.I know that parents want the best for their children but some of the do not quite understand what this relay mean.

They are kind of selfish and they want that their children become lawyers or engineers.But the care less about their happiness or souls.

For me it is quite hard to understand this,because i'm coming from much different family.

My mother do a great job with us to raise us in proper way.For my family vocation is true blessing singh of god's grace.

She plant the seed of vocation in me and give me proper catholic education.After all this she did not let me to join when i have been 18.

I did not  understand then but i understand now.Maybe i have been just lucky.

And because of that i will pray every day for parents to help their children in their vocation.

Discerning is very hard and without family support it is even harder.

"Discerning is very hard and without family support it is even harder."

A very wise observation, Carla.

"Discerning is very hard and without family support it is even harder."

A very wise observation, Carla.

Most true. Luckily my parents got fairly used to the fact since I had entered (and left) for the first time. Before that it was hard indeed.

My story (short version) my parents opposed my being a priest and being a member of a Religious Order. I was 18 when I decided I would enter the seminary, my parents said I had to wait until I was 21. At the age of 22 I applied to join the Capuchin Friars, my father was indifferent, my mother strongly opposed. My father died 12 months before my ordination. My mother attended but still thought I had thrown away the education my father had worked so hard to give me (her words) When she died 6 years after my ordination she was still not fully reconciled. The end

Once I've heard of a young Dominican father: His mother had commented his decision with "If you were gay I would have preferred it!"

(I'm not sure whether I translated it properly - basically she meant even gay would have been preferably to her, with big emphasis on even.)

It was really hard for him, such a support...

Do you think that having a lack of family support is a reason to not choose a religious vocation?
Or do you think a person should persist anyway without the support?

Do you think that having a lack of family support is a reason to not choose a religious vocation?
Or do you think a person should persist anyway without the support?

I was 23 when I joined the Capuchins, so although it would have been great to have the support of my family it was at my age not essential.