An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adios, Stupid Dads

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

http://en.catholic-link.com/2014/08/04/adios-stupid-dads-cheerios-ad-that-portrays-dads-as-they-should-be/

Instead of continuing on the cultural tradition of portraying men as stupid smelly oafs who can't tie their shoes, and women as brave wives who single-handedly hold everything together despite their lesser husbands, this commercial actually portrays them in a more positive light.

Edited by FetusPriest387

Ash Wednesday

I'll bite.

I'd say portraying the men as bumbling stupid dads really isn't a cultural tradition -- it's more of a backlash against a time when women were (and in many places, still are) viewed as stupid, powerless, bumbling idiots who were viewed as only useful at home.

Not saying the "bumbling man" phenomenon is accurate or fair, but, yeah, it's not tradition. It's backlash.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

truthfinder

There was an interesting historical article written a few years back about the dominance of women in the home and the rise of the grill as the man's domain. It seems that from the 1950s there was already a move to making man into a primitive cave-man which just quickly descended after the next wave of feminism.  

Ash Wednesday

married-with-children.jpg

I will give this show some credit... they made everyone look like idiots.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

I find this video extremely insignificant and not representative of much. 

But I do have to admit that I LOVED the video! :)

Edited by CrossCuT

Ash Wednesday

What I liked about Cheerios Dad is that shows that it's cool to be an amesome on-top-of-things dad. Nothing wrong with that.

I think sometimes dads and husbands are often pushed off by messages out there -- like they went from "father knows best" to Homer Simpson... like it isn't cool or normal to be an on top of it, proactive Dad -- when it is. 

Edited by Ash Wednesday

PhuturePriest

What I liked about Cheerios Dad is that shows that it's cool to be an amesome on-top-of-things dad. Nothing wrong with that.

I think sometimes dads and husbands are often pushed off by messages out there -- like they went from "father knows best" to Homer Simpson... like it isn't cool or normal to be an on top of it, proactive Dad -- when it is. 

Which is precisely the point of the thread. Everybody Loves Raymond, According to Jim, Seinfeld, Friends, Rules of Engagement, How I Met Your Mother, etc. etc. all portray men as absolute cavemen who can't emotionally connect with their wives and whose only sole mission in life is to avoid all responsibility and have sex. It's demeaning and sends a very wrong message. I don't care if it's backlash, it's still wrong. I am in no way a proponent that women are only good for having as housewives and mothers, and I sympathize with being pissed about that message, but I don't think portraying men as bumbling morons is the right way to fix the issue, because it doesn't fix the issue, it simply creates another one.

Edited by FetusPriest387

Ash Wednesday

Which is precisely the point of the thread. Everybody Loves Raymond, According to Jim, Seinfeld, Friends, Rules of Engagement, How I Met Your Mother, etc. etc. all portray men as absolute cavemen who can't emotionally connect with their wives and whose only sole mission in life is to avoid all responsibility and have sex. It's demeaning and sends a very wrong message. I don't care if it's backlash, it's still wrong. I am in no way a proponent that women are only good for having as housewives and mothers, and I sympathize with being pissed about that message, but I don't think portraying men as bumbling morons is the right way to fix the issue, because it doesn't fix the issue, it simply creates another one.

I never said it was right, I'm just explaining that there is a larger cultural context at play behind it.

What's more, most shows and sitcoms are already garbage in more ways than one, I'm not sure what's to be expected from what is largely regarded as one of the lower forms of entertainment.

My version of fixing of the issue was turning off the TV, I haven't owned one in years. If I ever do get one I will be very selective of what's on it lest we end up with two sewer lines connected to the house instead of just one.

Ash Wednesday

Eh. You people need to work on moderation.

And by you people i mean everybody.

You mind elaborating on what you mean by that?

You mind elaborating on what you mean by that?

We've just gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. Virtue lies in the middle.

Ash Wednesday

We've just gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. Virtue lies in the middle.

Well said, I was just thinking the same thing today. Thanks for clarifying :)