An Old School Catholic Message Board

Legionairs Of Christ

IrishG8s

I was going to join a religouse order. Are the Legionairs good or bad. I've heard mixed reviews?
Any other ones that sound good?
-IG-

marielapin

I have family members that have worked with priests from the Legionaries of Christ, and one brother-in-law that has mentioned that if he were to join an order he would highly consider them. The way they described them was this: they are today what the Jesuits were at their formation: a dedicated, orthodox order of priests that attract large numbers to their order due to their faithfulness to the Pope and the Magisterium, and their strict adherance to orthodoxy.

We have been very impressed by them and support them wholeheartedly.

Guest JeffCR07

Hey, I'm a member of Regnum Christi, a lay movement closely tied to the Legion. I'll tell you my opinion of them and let you decide how biased it is:

As marielapin said, they are very orthodox. If you live in America, as I do, there will be many people who look upon that as being bad or, as they like to say, "ultra-conservative." However, to be orthodox is what we are ALL called to be. What it means with regards to them is this: They follow the Pope absolutely, they are sacramentally focused and encourage spiritual direction for everyone, they strictly adhere to the teachings of the Magesterium, and they submit when they are asked to submit. On a different note, they spend a longer time in seminary than (I think) pretty much any other order, but definately ask Dusty or someone who knows better than I do about that stuff.

I love them to death, and I can't say enough good things to you about them if you wanna send me a personal message, but I tried to be objective in this post

- Your Brother in Christ, Jeff

JMJ
6/10 - Tenth Thursday

I don't mean to always be the nay-sayer here, but slow down a bit with the Legionaries. Yes, they're wonderfully orthodox and completely devoted to Holy Mother Church; if that's what you want, then go with them. But they're really good at putting lots of pressure on guys to join - just something to watch out for if you're not looking for a lot of pressure.

We also need good diocesan priests who can be orthodox. If everyone just avoids the problem than nothing gets solved. We only end up with a lopsided clergy with some orthodox spectators who can do nothing but observe the abuses,liturgical and otherwise. Someone has to step up and swim up stream.

Peace

I tried Diocesan and they turned me down, my parish considers me very conservative, but I have fun with it just the same. It seems to bring more meaning into it. But as they say, try, try again! So I will. Keep me in your prayers please!
-IG-

Thank you for your words of wisdom and encouragement Fr. Pontifex. It is sometimes hard hoping to be a "plain old" dioscean priest.

peace...

ThyWillBeDone

I am going to have to agree with PedroX can be hard sometimes and I also offer my thanks to Father for the encouragement and wisdom. IrishG8s I will keep you in my prayers
God Bless

[quote name='IrishG8s' date='Jun 10 2004, 03:46 PM'] I tried Diocesan and they turned me down, my parish considers me very conservative, but I have fun with it just the same. It seems to bring more meaning into it. But as they say, try, try again! So I will. Keep me in your prayers please!
-IG- [/quote]
There are other Dioceses out there. I am sure you could find one that would love to have you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

If I wsa to enter a religious order, I'd join the Legoinairs... However their formation is 12 years, quite lengthy.

But they are a great order, and I really like what they do... and what they are about.

[quote]If I wsa to enter a religious order, I'd join the Legoinairs... However their formation is 12 years, quite lengthy.[/quote]
Jesuit formation is about 10 years (or 8 to 12), depending on the man's
background and course of studies. All that lengthy formation prepares the Jesuits to spread the faith with zeal for souls to the whole world, which they did greatly in Latin America and South Asia. The final product of all that formation is what makes the Legionaries such awesome priests!