An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Office Is Calling: Learning The Do

brandelynmarie

CountrySteve21

:bounce: Nice!

Which Office are you learning? I'm more partial towards the Benedictine Office but I pray the Liturgy of the Hours as its more practical for us laity and I like the idea that I'm praying the same Office that the Pope and all the Cardinals are praying in Rome. 

Heres a  link that gives the Psalm schemes from the breviaries throughout the ages. 

Pax

CountrySteve21

Pre-post-Vatican II Benedictine Office here. Rarely go anywhere without my Diurnal :detective:

Is it the one that Clear Creek Monastery sells? I love the Benedictine Office! His Psalter Scheme is genius!  

:bounce: Nice!

Which Office are you learning? I'm more partial towards the Benedictine Office but I pray the Liturgy of the Hours as its more practical for us laity and I like the idea that I'm praying the same Office that the Pope and all the Cardinals are praying in Rome. 

Heres a  link that gives the Psalm schemes from the breviaries throughout the ages. 

Pax

Forget the link http://www.gregorianbooks.com/gregorian/www/www.kellerbook.com/SCHEMA~1.HTM   :blush:

puellapaschalis

Is it the one that Clear Creek Monastery sells? I love the Benedictine Office! His Psalter Scheme is genius!  

Forget the link http://www.gregorianbooks.com/gregorian/www/www.kellerbook.com/SCHEMA~1.HTM    :blush:

I've seen various ones published. They're all based on the Diurnal published between 1948 and 1963. I use one published by Farnborough Abbey in the UK (Latin-English), and I know Le Barroux have one too (Latin-French). But they're all the same book, really.

The breviary (including Matins) is tougher to find. I got mine (Desclée etc, 1941) at a used bookstore.

There's also http://divinumofficium.com/ which has various versions too. A friend of mine uses that on her phone to pray the Office.

brandelynmarie

You both rock :punk: I'm just trying to get through the LOTH! :bible:

I do have an app for it, but it doesn't help me navigate through the actual books. :)

I've been working off & on with The Divine Office for Dodos...I'm thinking I just need to keep trying...once I get it, I get it...but I have a long learning curve :hehe2:

brandelynmarie

:hehe:

In September, I'm starting Morning & Evening prayer. No flipping! Straight forward...

I'm completely intrigued by the Carmelite Office, but I'm under the impression that back in the day, it was only used by O.Carm's & fairly recently the JMJ Carmels started using it. Very :joecool: .

When I've visited the Benedictine nuns, I wasn't certain if it was a Benedictine Office or not, but I do remember lotsa additional booklets & print-outs. :nunpray: :nunpray: :nunpray:

CountrySteve21

I've seen various ones published. They're all based on the Diurnal published between 1948 and 1963. I use one published by Farnborough Abbey in the UK (Latin-English), and I know Le Barroux have one too (Latin-French). But they're all the same book, really.

The breviary (including Matins) is tougher to find. I got mine (Desclée etc, 1941) at a used bookstore.

There's also http://divinumofficium.com/ which has various versions too. A friend of mine uses that on her phone to pray the Office.

I seen one on Ebay once, but the seller wanted like 400 dollars for it!  :crazy:  I've always wandered why trad books are so expensive? XD Thanks for the link!

:hehe:

In September, I'm starting Morning & Evening prayer. No flipping! Straight forward...

I'm completely intrigued by the Carmelite Office, but I'm under the impression that back in the day, it was only used by O.Carm's & fairly recently the JMJ Carmels started using it. Very :joecool: .

When I've visited the Benedictine nuns, I wasn't certain if it was a Benedictine Office or not, but I do remember lotsa additional booklets & print-outs. :nunpray: :nunpray: :nunpray:

Heres a supplement for the Carmelite calendar for the LOTH http://carmelcanada.org/liturgy/office.pdf

puellapaschalis

I seen one on Ebay once, but the seller wanted like 400 dollars for it!  :crazy:  I've always wandered why trad books are so expensive? XD Thanks for the link!

Mine was €25 for a two-volume one. Want me to head down to this store and see if I can pick one up for you?

CountrySteve21

Mine was €25 for a two-volume one. Want me to head down to this store and see if I can pick one up for you?

Thanks :) but I'd have to decline, last thing I need is another book XD I just bought a bunch of them. 

You both rock :punk: I'm just trying to get through the LOTH! :bible:

I do have an app for it, but it doesn't help me navigate through the actual books. :)

I've been working off & on with The Divine Office for Dodos...I'm thinking I just need to keep trying...once I get it, I get it...but I have a long learning curve :hehe2:

I'm sure you probably already know about www.divineoffice.org but I would think it would be pretty helpful when learning.  At the top of each of the hours it lists the page numbers to bookmark either the 4 volume or the Christian Prayer version of the Office!   

That didn't exist when I was learning, but I sure which it did!  Their App costs $20 so I haven't used it...but I do occasionally go to their website on my phone to pray the office if I am on the go and don't have my book with me.   :) 

brandelynmarie

Hmmm, I wonder if this is the app I have, but I think not because mine was free & I don't recall seeing page numbers...but I could be mistaken. I haven't used it in awhile because work blocks podcasts. I used to start one of the hours, put in an earbud & start my "Cinderella list“. ;) Thanks for the suggestion. :) This could be helpful to me.

CountrySteve21

I think the LOTH should come with a warning label; you tell yourself, "I'll just say Lauds and Vespers" Next thing you know your tempted to add Office of Readings cause those readings from the Fathers are just too tempting to neglect.  Then of course there is Compline, cause can't hurt to pray before bed right, then might as well add Daytime prayer to it as well. Next thing you know, your addicted  :hehe2:

puellapaschalis

I think the LOTH should come with a warning label; you tell yourself, "I'll just say Lauds and Vespers" Next thing you know your tempted to add Office of Readings cause those readings from the Fathers are just too tempting to neglect.  Then of course there is Compline, cause can't hurt to pray before bed right, then might as well add Daytime prayer to it as well. Next thing you know, your addicted  :hehe2:

I was taught how to pray Divine Office (LOTH in the UK) by the then deacon in my parish. He told me to start with Compline and then work my way up with the rest. But his killer line (poor guy didn't realise) was, "I think the last one you'll add will be Readings," and I looked at him and silently formed the stubborn resolution to be able to do all five within a week.

Those readings are good, though. It's a great way to be introduced to reading Church Fathers you probably otherwise wouldn't come across.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is the app I have, but I think not because mine was free & I don't recall seeing page numbers...but I could be mistaken. I haven't used it in awhile because work blocks podcasts. I used to start one of the hours, put in an earbud & start my "Cinderella list“. ;) Thanks for the suggestion. :) This could be helpful to me.

Oh that's kinda neat that there is a podcast that you can listen and pray along with.  I think the app version of divineoffice.org may have something like that too but I have never done it that way.  I'm an old fashioned reader, so I only pray along as I read the text on the actual website if I don't have my books with me  :)   But I really do like the website because if/when I get a little confused about where I should be, I can look up the hours and it tells me the page numbers in my book which is super handy!  

That's how the Holy Spirit gets you.  Like Lay's potato chips for Catholics.   LOTH: Betcha can't pray just one!

Truer words, I think, have not been spoken.  Haha!  That has definitely been my experience of the Liturgy of the Hours.  At times I will fall out of regular usage and then I come back to it...every time I come back I think "I'll just start simple with morning and evening prayer".  But when I first started the Liturgy of the Hours the people I prayed it with would pray both the Office of Readings and Morning prayer together and I loved the Office of Readings.  So then I will include the Office of Readings in my morning prayer.  Then I think...well I LOVE praying Compline so I might as well pray that before bed.  Next thing I know I'm practically a monk living in the world praying all the hours!   God is so sneaky sometimes, but I'm on to His games now!  

Edited by corban711