An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters Of Divine Hope

Thijs

Three novices in formation

http://www.news-journal.com/features/religion/daughters-of-new-catholic-society-train-three-novices/article_0e78e0cf-9b42-50fe-94d1-7d0d3cca3488.html

***While no other women will join the Daughters of Divine Hope as the three are undergoing their novitiate, Catherine said she is in communication with several who may join the order during 2015.

Additionally, the rules of the community allow for the the women, many of who have children and grandchildren to see their family.

“But, our formation should lead us to a healthy detachment from our families,” Catherine said.

http://www.daughtersofdivinehope.org/mainpage.html

***Mother Susan Catherine will profess Solemn Vows on the Solemnity of the Exultation of the Cross, Sunday September 14, 6pm Mass, Chapel of Sts. Peter and Paul, Tyler, TX.

****November 22, 2014 - Profession of first Temporary vows of the novices. Scheduled for 5pm mass at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception.

I am so happy to hear that Catherine (Mother) was able to get her community firmly established!! This community is much needed,because God calls women of ALL ages and sadly, many "Mature" women are not accepted due to the lower age restrictions! Thank You for posting this article! Many prayers for the Daughters of Divine Hope! May they persevere and flourish!

The habit, with lace and brocade veil, seems, IMHO, to be both rather fragile and not particularly utilitarian, but who am I to decide such things?  I would imagine it would be rather hot to wear and hard to keep clean, too.

brandelynmarie

I would actually like to know the symbolism behind their habit. :) I think every religious order(?) is supposed to have something distinct about its habit/veil that is unique to them...does anyone know anything else about this topic?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Our Sisters in Lufkin who have been involved in their establishment said that the veil is the BIshop's idea and said it isn't to be change! 

I am surprised she is allowed to make Solemn Vows when they are not yet a fully established religious institute. Very interesting!

Sponsa-Christi

Our Sisters in Lufkin who have been involved in their establishment said that the veil is the BIshop's idea and said it isn't to be change! 

I am surprised she is allowed to make Solemn Vows when they are not yet a fully established religious institute. Very interesting!

I would also be surprised if she was professing solemn vows properly so-called, since this is comparatively rare even among religious in established communities. Since this does not seem to be a fully established institute yet, I would guess that she's actually making a â€œfinal” (as in, for life) vow which is technically a private vow. I think in common parlance, “solemn vows” is often used mistakenly or as shorthand for “perpetual vows” in the same way that active Sisters are often called “nuns.”

But either way, congratulations to the new Sisters!

Edited by Sponsa-Christi

I would not take this "Solemn Vows" expression from a journalist to meaning canonical solemn vows.

They would not know the difference. And "solemn vows" sounds very solemn and definitive -as much as "perpetual". Would the person who wrote the article know that there is a canonical difference?

If I am not mistaken current Canon Law doesn't allow solemn vows for brand new Institutes. That was changed with the 1983 Code.

But we will see ...

Edited by Orans

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Orans.  It would be saying that a married couple are taking "solemn vows"; well those aren't the same thing as the vows a nun takes.  Solemn would probably make more sense to a journal audience than the picky, although probably correct, final or perpetual vows.

Directly from their the Daughters website:

UPCOMING EVENTS
Mother Susan Catherine will profess Solemn Vows on the Solemnity of the Exultation of the Cross, Sunday September 14, 6pm Mass, Chapel of Sts. Peter and Paul, Tyler, TX.

I would assume that Mother herself wrote the copy. What am I missing here?

Edited by Francis Clare

I didn't give this topic enough in my above post, so here's some more

I'm very pleased to hear that this order takes in older ladies/widows. All the orders up to this point that I've read/hear/investigated about don't. However...another new order? I don't mean to be mean, but I do think some of the older orders could use the help. However, I'll be praying for this new order!

God bless you all

Lady-Indis 

Directly from their the Daughters website:

UPCOMING EVENTS
Mother Susan Catherine will profess Solemn Vows on the Solemnity of the Exultation Exaltation of the Cross, Sunday September 14, 6pm Mass, Chapel of Sts. Peter and Paul, Tyler, TX.

I would assume that Mother herself wrote the copy. What am I missing here?

Sorry, it's just one of those things.

Lady-Indis... If OLDER orders accepted OLDER women discerner's, then maybe OLDER women wouldn't feel the need to start one themselves! The majority of orders are limited to YOUNG women!

Sister Leticia

Their website might be being maintained by a friend of the community who doesn't have an eye for details or someone employed to do this who doesn't understand the correct terminology.

Apart from the "solemn profession" I'm intrigued that the novices became novices on 30th November 2013 and will make "first temporary profession" on the 22nd November. That's a week less than a year. The few orders I know who do a one year novitiate generally make sure it's 365 days minimum, and maybe it ends up a couple of weeks more.

And if any older discerners in the UK are reading this, we have a congregation specifically for older vocations. I've tried adding their link, but each time I typed it into the link box my screen froze, and the only way out was to exit VS so I'm just typing mater-eccleciae-convent.co.uk

(And as an aside, can anyone tell me what I might have been doing wrong with the link? Thanks)