An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent Reading Suggestions

beatitude

I am trying to choose my spiritual reading for Advent. I may go with The Imitation of Christ as usual (I revisit it almost every year - astounding book) or branch out to something different. I was thinking of getting Brother Lawrence's Practising the Presence of God. Any recommendations? :)

Less spiritual per se, and more theological/apologetic, but also very topical:
Remaining in the Truth of Christ: Marriage and Communion in the Catholic Church.
I only just started it, but so far it is absolutely first-rate.

PhuturePriest

Rediscover Advent by Matthew Kelly. It's his new book he came out with daily information and reflections on Advent and what it truly means. Very highly recommended.

Why not the book of Isaiah? Thats always been read traditionally at Advent. 

I will probably take Isaiah as my book for Bible study, but I like to have another devotional book too that isn't Scripture. My usual pattern for Advent is to read a portion of the Bible in the evening and to have something like Imitation in the morning.

Some good suggestions here! Thank you, everyone.

Readings from the Liturgy of the Hours / Divine Office for advent?   There are versions on-line if you don't have the books, and they are designed to dovetail with the daily Mass readings.....

Mostly it is Isaiah and some commentary from the Church Fathers.   Some of the most beautiful readings for the entire year, in my opinion...

93286_web_advent_child.jpg

Edited by AnneLine

Hmm...

I'm currently reading The Sanctifier by Archbishop Martinez, a beautiful work on the Holy Ghost. With Advent being the start of the liturgical year, perhaps it would be a good time to reinvigorate your devotion to Him.

Any of the authors of the French School of Spirituality would make good reading, due to the deep devotion to tthe Incarnation these authors have. Saint Jean Eudes is brilliant, and of course Saint Louis-Marie de Montfort is the crown jewel of the tradition.

But I would also STRONGLY recommend Bethlehem, by Father Faber, which I plan to read this Advent. You can find the PDF online at archive.org which is a great beneft and it'll save you money too!

I've wanted to read Fr Faber's Bethlehem for ages! I didn't know it was available online. I'll have a look for it. Thank you!