An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Discernment? Version 3.0

TheresaThoma

Well it's wonderful to hear, Senensis! No pressure though!

And yes, between trying to find monastery-appropriate clothes, and usually having had very active dirty jobs, I've been shopping in the men's department for years  :hehe2:

Spem in alium

Well it's wonderful to hear, Senensis! No pressure though!

And yes, between trying to find monastery-appropriate clothes, and usually having had very active dirty jobs, I've been shopping in the men's department for years  :hehe2:

The men's department really is sensational. Men's socks are particularly brilliant.  :hehe2:

Which community are you entering? congratulations!

Also, your username reminds me of the movie Freaky Friday with Lindsay Lohan.  There's a scene where she tries to pronounce the word "senescence" :D

Actually my username should remind you of your picture:D

God willing I'm preparing for Benedictines.

@Spem in alium: Interesting. What is the advantage?

(Once I had some, but the shape was too large and I should have taken the smaller size.)

The men's department really is sensational. Men's socks are particularly brilliant.  :hehe2:

(Once I had some, but the shape was too large and I should have taken the smaller size.)

Men's clothes are better made, and last longer! Women as a whole spend a lot more money, so companies take advantage of fashion seasons, don't bother with quality, and result in making us spend as much money as possible on our clothes.

A (now former) colleague of mine just wrote an e-mail to me, telling me how much she likes my prospects and that she somehow even envies me. I knew that she was sympathetic with monastery things in general (be it Christian or Buddhistic), but I didn't expect that much personal support! It's moving and somehow I feel mixed up. In the last days I get so much support by people of whom I didn't expect it! (And I miss it from people of whom I did expect it.) Strange things. I realize how little I know of the world!

Senensis I think that often our hearts make the decision long before our minds do...

I'm still interested in this one community, but I haven't thought about vocation for a while.  It's OK though.  I've just been plodding along, still experiencing the newness of living as a Catholic - it's only been one and a half years since swimming the Tiber.  And I've still got some school left to do.

That said, I truly felt like my heart was captured a year ago in front of the Eucharist, in front of the gaze of Christ drawing me to gaze back at Him and to give my life for Him without reserve.  I felt a sense of arrival, of completeness - this is what I was born to do.  All the other pursuits I'd had, those felt like things(Of course they are wonderful in their own right.)  I wanted God and God alone.  Now I may some day be married, but I think it will be my life's greatest regret if I do not truly give religious life a chance.  Maybe my heart's already decided but I don't know myself well enough to tell.

I'm back from my visit with one of the local communities, but I am not sure where to go from here. I'd like to visit the motherhouse at some point, but what else can I be doing? 

Spem in alium

Men's clothes are better made, and last longer! Women as a whole spend a lot more money, so companies take advantage of fashion seasons, don't bother with quality, and result in making us spend as much money as possible on our clothes.

This. Also, I find men's socks to come much thicker than women's. I love thick socks. :)

The community has changed positively in every possible respect since I last posted about my vocational discernment. I have been here for about 22 months now. My private prayer life has improved enormously, especially in the last two months. I have apparently "blossomed" quite a bit. Not quite sure what that means as I am not a flower. The Juniors are all becoming much more of a unit. That is good because the average age of the Seniors is over 75. If the place does get closed down i can easily transfer to another Olivetan community. The Archbishop and the Abbot General both want to keep it open however. Even the grounds are in better shape  than they were at my arrival!

Spem in alium

The community has changed positively in every possible respect since I last posted about my vocational discernment. I have been here for about 22 months now. My private prayer life has improved enormously, especially in the last two months. I have apparently "blossomed" quite a bit. Not quite sure what that means as I am not a flower. The Juniors are all becoming much more of a unit. That is good because the average age of the Seniors is over 75. If the place does get closed down i can easily transfer to another Olivetan community. The Archbishop and the Abbot General both want to keep it open however. Even the grounds are in better shape  than they were at my arrival!

What blessings! I will pray for continued growth in your personal and community life. 

That said, I truly felt like my heart was captured a year ago in front of the Eucharist, in front of the gaze of Christ drawing me to gaze back at Him and to give my life for Him without reserve.  I felt a sense of arrival, of completeness - this is what I was born to do.  All the other pursuits I'd had, those felt like things(Of course they are wonderful in their own right.)  I wanted God and God alone.  Now I may some day be married, but I think it will be my life's greatest regret if I do not truly give religious life a chance.  Maybe my heart's already decided but I don't know myself well enough to tell.

^this. Even though I want to date, I really want to make sure religious life is for me first.

You have an uncanny knack of popping up just when I say to myself, "I wonder how Starets is".  Glad to hear you are doing well, and the community suits you and you them.