An Old School Catholic Message Board

Positive Discernment

Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

I've reflected on this recently, and wanted to share my thoughts.

Do you remember when you were a kid, and going on trips was the highlight of your week, month, or year? A vacation, visiting a loved one, or a conference that meant a lot to you? Did you remember the car ride, stuck in a cramped, stuffy car, needing to pee (and likely telling your parent right after you passed a rest stop and the next won't be for another 40 minutes)? Or did you remember that awesome, thrilled, nervous, relaxed, or serene experience you had upon arrival? Was the vacation, the tour, or whatever it was, worth it (that is, granted you wanted to go in the first place)?

Often I think as men and women discerning our place in the world, and ultimately how that will lead us to heaven, forget that discernment doesn't have to be stressful. God doesn't want us to be anxious, he reminds us of this constantly throughout scripture. Waiting, as well as acting, is essential to life. Life on earth is filled with contrasts, it truly is what makes us human. So, as we journey through discernment, we need to remember the big picture. Beyond the "cramped legs and stuffy cars" lies the the fulfillment of your vocation. Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that discernment is a trip in which the itinerary is not all you had planned, but it's not just something to survive, it's something in which to grow and reap experiences.

Thoughts?

What an imaginative metaphor you use there! I don't think that's a mere matter of discernment; our entire lives in general are journeys--which of course involve discernment, but not in the sense that most might think. After a few years in a certain state of life, there's a type of seven-year-itch that kicks in. That's when you're driving over featureless terrain, thirsty but with no rest stop in sight, wanting to rest but without a hotel nearby, too far along to turn back, yet still a distance away. And if you have kids in the back seat, that's when they start asking, "Are we there yet?" every ten minutes.

But all you can do is keep going...

Mary+Immaculate<3

What an imaginative metaphor you use there! I don't think that's a mere matter of discernment; our entire lives in general are journeys--which of course involve discernment, but not in the sense that most might think. After a few years in a certain state of life, there's a type of seven-year-itch that kicks in. That's when you're driving over featureless terrain, thirsty but with no rest stop in sight, wanting to rest but without a hotel nearby, too far along to turn back, yet still a distance away. And if you have kids in the back seat, that's when they start asking, "Are we there yet?" every ten minutes.

But all you can do is keep going...

I guess the metaphor is a collection of the many trips I took when I was little ;)

That is true, our life is a journey whose final destination is (hopefully) heaven. But the road of discernment, "Should I be married, should I enter an order, which order should I join, which career should I have?" etc. in particular seems to be, for many, nerve-wracking and uncomfortable. While there will be unpleasant moments, my point is that we should try to enjoy the trip, take in the view, ya know?

I have heard of the seven year point, especially in marriage, being an especially difficult one. Amongst other reasons, because the defense mechanisms to mentally deal with the imperfections and annoying quirks of one's spouse have essentially broken down. I'm curious to know, in religious life, if that comes about seven years after entrance, first profession, final profession, or what. Because seven years after entrance is the average time when a sister, brother, or priest is finally professed or ordained. Do you know?

What a lovely gift to read this lovely imagery on a snowy, housebound winter morning!  and the image of journey works throughout our lives.

I wonder if the times of "itch" aren't moments in which God beckons us to come even more deeply into relationship with Triune Love, regardless of our state of life. 

Thank you! Grace and peace to all!