An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Abbess At Abbey Of Regina Laudis

Obonitas!

On February 1st, the Abbey elected their third Abbess since their founding. It is Mother Lucia. I am curious to see her crest and all the information about her. Their website has the basic information. I'm wondering (since I don't know), will the new Abbess have the same Prioress and Council? How does it work in Benedictine Abbeys? I thought about them before deciding I was called to a different vocation. But my two visits there were very interesting. Abbeyofreginalaudis.com

Edited for a typo

Edited by Obonitas!

The newly elected abbess or abbot chooses her own prioress and council, and can re-assign any of the nuns to any work she sees fit. 

The history of election, within the church, is interesting. The nuns vote, so they do have a voice in who governs them. But after the vote, the abbess has full power - within the limits of the orders constitutions and so forth. As opposed to American political elections in which the people vote, but then the elected official still has to operate within the checks and balances of her office

I assume that's based on the fact that abbesses are assumed to be well-intentioned, whereas politicians are not assumed to be. 

Thank you for sharing this article, Swami Mommy!  It presents a wonderfully informative overview of the Regina Laudis community--

and also helps clear up some misrepresentations (found on the web)

about their past challenges.