An Old School Catholic Message Board

Servants of The Sacred Cross

BarbTherese

The servants of the sacred cross are no longer a community. They have been disbursed since September 20, 2020. Many lovely and faithful women were members of this community. 

Let us all pray that they continue their lives a prayer and service wherever the Lord leads - places them.

May many women answer gods call to religious life .

I would encourage all to pray for holy men to also answer the call to the priesthood. We are in so great a need for holy priests. 

God’s blessings and grace be upon all this day. 

• 6 months later...
Sister Therese

Dear Sisters & Friends,

May God bless all who had a relationship short or long with the servants of the sacred cross.
I miss each One of you, and continue to pray for you and your families. 

The Holy Spirit’s hand certainly prompted, and lead these women to the Servants of the Sacred Cross this Beautiful community. Beautiful faithful woman of God. I was blessed in knowing each one of them. 
Many servants continue today the prayer, practice of silence , scripture study, with an open heart and ear to God‘s will in our life. Modeling Mary’s example within our homes and parish community. These practices we learned during formation. Certainly will bring us closer to our heavenly father.

God is so good. And I am so grateful walking  besides those also called to a greater and more intimate relationship with God .

At the foot of the cross,

Therese

C Therese

As Barbara had stated private associations of the faithful most certainly is where SSC was well-placed.

You only need to read the cannons regarding private associations of the faithful to understand these women of faith.

The simple rule, prayer, witness,Study. And the many works of mercy each of them  participated within their own diocese.  Catechist, prison ministries, nursing, prayer,  praying  for priest and  scripture study & and in the secular workplace.  The kindness, generosity a beautiful thing for those witnessing these women. 

Ecclesiastical Authorities from the Anglican church oversaw the beginnings of The Servants of the Sacred Cross . Openly & publicly  enthusiastically endorse them. All of these beautiful  bishops,  monsignor  & priests have since entered the Roman Catholic Church through the Ordinariate In 2010. 

Statutes and rules of a community of faithful women is a living document. With prayer and spiritual guidance develops as a community grows .No different for the servants of the Sacred Cross and their documents. Which had been reviewed by many competent Canon advisers.

Unique as the servants of the sacred cross women  most certainly were. They were seen within their own family communities and parish communities. Their witness of God‘s great love in their life and in the world was amazing. 

Mother Wendy most certainly was led by the Holy Spirit with others to seek this path towards holiness through sisterhood and discipleship to God’s people . Her courage could only have come from God. As in our baptisms we are called to bring others to Gods kingdom through discipleship and witness.  This statement embodies the beautiful women . Of the servants of the sacred cross.

Whether the witness was spoken or visual it most certainly was profound. 

I  personally met the most amazing women of faith through the servants of the sacred cross.  And open heart totally given to God is what I witnessed in these women. God bless each one of them. 

I did think it was something really new and courageous.  For the few years I was in touch with Mother Wendy, I found her to be a lovely woman and very willing to answer all questions - unlike (some only) other persons of religion with whom I might have had some contact.  I do feel for Mother Wendy and the sisters if the SSC has been disbanded and hope they will find every consolation in Faith as their journeys continue wherever The Lord may lead.

I am a bit confused about all this. I think there was another thread about a similar group who were told not to wear a religious habit as some of them were married. Are these the same ones. And they didn't have the approval of the church.,

Sister Therese

I believe you were speaking about “The Servants of the Sacred Cross A private association of the faithful.” 

They fall under canon law as a private association of the faithful. A private association exist in virtue of a private agreement among its members. A private association may or may not be recognized by a local church authority, according to the wishes of its members. The faithful may form associations on their own without any intervention of church authority. At the same time, and association of the faithful, by definition, always shows respect for church authority and works to promote the unity and strength of the church life. The women of The Servants of the Sacred Cross acted in kind .

The blessings which come with being a member of a private or public association of the faithful are the actual grace is given to anyone who dedicate herself more fully to the apostolate of the church these graces are actual Graces and, therefore they are given by God freely.

All associations of the faithful, private and public, must have their own statute which defined the purpose or social objective of the association, it’s seek, government, and conditions required for members and which determines the manner of its acting. The statutes protect both the nature of the association and the rights of those who join.

Whether to wear habit and when is detailed in their statutes. And agreed-upon within the community. And we’re never in violation of canon law and disregard. 
Many Franciscan, Benedictine private and public associations where a habit has written within their statutes. 

The servants of the Sacred Cross are faithful women of God. Living a life focused on prayer and study of Scripture, praying for Priests . Living lives of discipleship , disbursed within their diocese and parishes . Throughout the United States and Canada. 

Many of these faithful women continue to day participating in works of mercy as catechist, teachers, nurses, reflecting a life filled with joy and God’s love to all who encountered them. 
God bless each one of them for their generosity and faithfulness.

I hope this clarifies / answers your question.

May God give you peace and joy this day.

Therese

I'm still confused. I don't know anything about them apart from what I've read on here.  Why were they disbanded. I don't think its on to go around dressed in a full nuns habit if you are not a nun. Especially if you are married. Sorry if I have misunderstood., 

Sister Therese

There are many beautiful private and public associations the faithful one may consider. 
unable to comment on why they were disband as I was not privy to that information.

Any Christian or Catholic is free to join a private or public association of the faithful. Upon reviewing their statutes and process for membership determine whether one feels called to their charisma .

You can search the Internet for many different types of public and private associations of the faithful. Looking in your Diocese area . Some allow for men and women married or unmarried ,and so on . Some require attending a chapter meeting each year. Close for some members -and distant for other members. All things to be considered such as Health, distance, and cost.

The first place one should start is finding a spiritual Director. They will walk with you in discerning your call . 
start simple: attend daily mass if possible. set site time each day for a study of Scripture. 15 minutes to a half hour. hour 15 minutes for morning for prayer. 15 minutes in the evening for examination of conscience & prayer. The Holy Spirit will certainly will assist you....

At the Foot of the Cross,

Therese

• 2 years later...
Sister Therese

The Servants of the Sacred Cross have dispersed .
With great sadness I share that Rev. Mother Wendy James passed away on May 9, 2023. Her legacy of spirituality and journey towards personal holiness, and being a present of God‘s love in the world will continue well beyond the dispersement of this beautiful private association of the faithful.
Each SSC member will continue the legacy. what was started lives on by the Holy Spirit, inflamed by the love of God, and is continued by each woman whom was called to SSC by God. SSC witness of God's presents in the world continues.

Rev. Mother Wendy was a heroic woman  & an example of stepping out in faith in this chaotic, world,. Everyone who knew her for a minute or more new of her great love and devotion to God‘s mission in this life under the mantle of our blessed mother, she lead us all to closer to our Heavenly Father . May she rest in peace. May all touched by her life in this life remember who sent this beautiful woman of God.
We all miss her greatly, and will see her at Gods heavenly table. 
May God bless each one of you abundantly. Let us today be the Christ someone meets. 

At the foot of the sacred cross,

Sister Carol Therese 

Her legacy her legacy.

I was really saddened to read of Mother Wendy's passing, she is a loss to us but doubtless, like little St Therese, will continue her work from Heaven.  She had a lot to endure in her journey here.........a lot!

I am currently battling my own serious health problems and a prayer really would be appreciated.

Mother Wendy was an explorer and dared to think outside the box and to rock the boat somewhat. She struck me as a holy person, wise and insightful. She was open to the new and if you take a stroll down Catholic history, it is evident that what is new is most often greeted with bullying of one kind or another. Mother Wendy was bullied in my book and ok, if bullying is where things are at for you, go for it, but do say a prayer and think before you act.  All bullying does, methinks, is to say more about the  writer or author of the bullying.  But criminally can leave people suffering even destroyed in the wake.  And all that tells me, anyway, is that bullying of any kind or degree  is a work of Satan, not of The Holy Spirit.

Mother Wendy was a beautiful person and I am sad to loose her.  I hope that somewhere along the line, someone will follow closely in her footsteps and take up the flag she has left behind.

MMA+Warrnambool+3280.png?format=500w