An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fun Facts about Orders' Habits (Website)

Luigi

Thanks for posting I actually have some other  facts that I learned:

Nuns use to wear 7 different skirts in honor of the seven gifts of the holy spirit

veils were modified because it blocked a nuns side vision and veils would get to close to candles and have there veils catch on fire

It takes 1 pin to keep a veil on your head

sisters of saint joseph's bands on there forehead would be in the shape of a triangle in honor of the Trinity.

A proffesion crucifix use to have a compartment in side where you could put a tiny relic of the saint name you had.

AccountDeleted

Nuns use to wear 7 different skirts in honor of the seven gifts of the holy spirit

veils were modified because it blocked a nuns side vision and veils would get to close to candles and have there veils catch on fire

sisters of saint joseph's bands on there forehead would be in the shape of a triangle in honor of the Trinity.

A proffesion crucifix use to have a compartment in side where you could put a tiny relic of the saint name you had.

​You are generalizing there a little JP. It takes more than one pin to keep a veil on a nun's head - it all depends on the Order or community, and the type of veil. As a Carmelite, I had to use three pins on the work veil and one pin on the chapel veil that went over the work veil. Some sisters even wore a pin at the back to hold the chapel veil in place. Nuns in the Presentation use a myriad number of pins on their habits - in fact, I don't know how many but perhaps someone who has been in a Presentation convent can let us know.

Nuns aren't generic. They don't all wear the same habits or use the same number of pins or skirts, even within the same Order. The Carmelites I knew never wore 7 skirts. In one convent we wore an underskirt and the brown tunic over it. In another convent we also had a long white tunic that was more of an undergarment, over which we wore the underskirt and then the brown tunic. Of course they all had scapulars on top of everything else.

The website was cute but not completely accurate or factual for all communities. So the thing to remember is that every community has it's own way of doing things. The habit doesn't make the nun.

• 2 weeks later...

​You are generalizing there a little JP. It takes more than one pin to keep a veil on a nun's head - it all depends on the Order or community, and the type of veil. As a Carmelite, I had to use three pins on the work veil and one pin on the chapel veil that went over the work veil. Some sisters even wore a pin at the back to hold the chapel veil in place. Nuns in the Presentation use a myriad number of pins on their habits - in fact, I don't know how many but perhaps someone who has been in a Presentation convent can let us know.

Nuns aren't generic. They don't all wear the same habits or use the same number of pins or skirts, even within the same Order. The Carmelites I knew never wore 7 skirts. In one convent we wore an underskirt and the brown tunic over it. In another convent we also had a long white tunic that was more of an undergarment, over which we wore the underskirt and then the brown tunic. Of course they all had scapulars on top of everything else.

The website was cute but not completely accurate or factual for all communities. So the thing to remember is that every community has it's own way of doing things. The habit doesn't make the nun.

​I'm sorry I forgot to say that was just for the Sisters of Saint Joseph