An Old School Catholic Message Board

Inspiring words by Pope Francis

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

Repriinted from https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com
Pope Francis recently spoke some beautiful, inspiring words, in his Meeting with the Clergy, Men and Women Religious and Permanent Deacons gathered in the Cathedral in Naples. Although no English translation had been posted, I could get the gist of it through an automated online translator. I’d like to share some of what I found most touching:
“You spoke of the lack of vocations, but testimony is one of the things that attracts vocations. “I want to be like that priest, I want to be like a nun:” The testimony of life. A comfortable life, a social life doesn’t help us.
Fraternity is not easy in the convent…The devil tempts us always with jealousy, envy, dislikes, likes, so many things that do not help us to make a real brotherhood and so we give a testimony of division between us.” The pope went on to speak against gossip in community.
Reading these remarks reminded me of a threefold check system I once heard to use in deciding whether or not to say something: “Is it true? Is it nice? Is it necessary?” You should be able to answer in the affirmative to at least two of these questions, or else you should leave the thing unsaid.
The pope also spoke of the necessity of joy and of its role in drawing others to Christ and to the Gospel.
“The joy of my life is full, the joy of having chosen well, the joy that I see every day that the Lord is faithful to me. When I’m not faithful to the Lord, I access to the Sacrament of Reconciliation.” Pope Francis also stressed the importance of adoration and worship, not just always asking for things.
He further remarked that “the Church is not an NGO, but it is the bride of Christ, which has the greatest treasure: Jesus. And her mission, her reason to exist is this: to evangelize, that is to bring Jesus. Worship, love for the Church and being missionary are simultaneously important, the Pope shared.
He also said that “You should always find time to stay in front of the Tabernacle, stand there in silence, [to see] Jesus’ gaze, which renews and revives us. And if your stand before Jesus troubles us a little, it is a good sign…” We want to be open “channels” through which flows the love and grace of God, not putting ourselves in the middle, only to become the “screens” that do not facilitate the encounter with the Lord…Your daily gratitude to God finds expression in the desire to attract hearts to Him, and to accompany them on the journey.”