An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Watched The Exorcist For The First Time

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Last night at one in the morning. By myself. In the dark. In the glorified dungeon we call a basement.

...It honestly wasn't that scary, though. There were a few things where I thought "Wow, if I were there that would be pretty trippy," but "if I were there" are key words. I was definitely expecting a lot more fright in it due to the constant praise and talk of how terrifying it is that I've heard over the years, but aside from that it was a pretty good movie.

Probably one of the best horror films ever made, particularly in terms of story line. When I saw it as a kid I was terrified, the fact that you weren't should be blamed on society and how it desensitized you from normal feelings :-P

PhuturePriest

Well congratulations, you watch an unrealistic portrayal of an exorcism.  ;)

​I've read Father Amorth's book, as well as reading numerous Catholic sources on exorcism and demonology, so trust me, I am more than aware that it is incredibly unrealistic. I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would've liked to because throughout the movie I kept going "Yep, that doesn't happen... or that... or that..." :P

NadaTeTurbe

I watched it when I was something like 12, and I was terrified. I'm a scaredy-cat (this word is funny !), even if I love Stephen King and horror movies. As someone who is afraid to be have the devil in her one day, well, this movie doesn't help x) 

I've never seen it. I prefer the Truth to the Hollywood version, any story, and day of the week.

I thought the exorcism of emily rose was pretty creepy. But I HATE scary movies. So I may not be a good judge.

CatherineM

First watched it the night before my first day in high school. Not the best decision I've ever made. I like the director's cut version much better. In the original I couldn't figure out why the mom thought her daughter had killed the director. When they put in the picture of her doing the crab walk, it made sense.