An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daily Mass in Southern California and Consecrated Hermit

marianroses

marianroses

Does anyone know of a quiet church in Southern California with daily mass that would be appropriate for a consecrated hermit?  Somewhere that is safe enough that someone who is seeking a solitary life will not be harassed.  A place ideal for a person who is not looking for community life (as little gossip as possible) but is looking to spend long hours in eucharistic adoration?

What diocese are you in? LA, San Bernardino or San Diego? You can me PM me if you want. 

Edited by SNJM
Typo

4LoveofJMJ

I used to live in the San Bernardino diocese. You could also pm me.

Edited by 4LoveofJMJ

marianroses

Thank you SNJM and 4LoveofJMJ for your replies! Sorry - something is wrong with my PMs so attempts at PMimg didn't work. I will look into this (perhaps 100 posts are necessary) and PM you when the issue is resolved. P.S. By the way on one of your earlier posts SNJM : Something Fun to Dream About! head coverings from here are gorgeous: http://www.veilsbylily.com/ so here's a yes vote to letting it be an option.

If you want to share anything in this thread, I've lived in California (all over) for over 10 years, including both LA and safer areas of San Bernardino.  Currently, I work 15 minutes away from LA diocese so that would be convenient.  Since this is a lifelong vocation and "good fit"/personal happiness is by far the most important consideration, perhaps relocation might be an option and any English or Spanish speaking diocese worldwide (US especially) might be worth considering. 

brother, if you are a consecrated hermit, you can construct an oratory in your home and ask the bishop for permission to reserve the blessed sacrament. there are various conditions to be met. but this would solve a lot of your probzz. a priest can celebrate mass there for you - he needs to once a month at least

4LoveofJMJ

If I were to become a hermit, I would probably move to the Big Bear area. It's secluded, quiet, and in full view of God's glory. Some of my favorite places to pray are in nature or chapels with huge windows looking into a forest. I don't know if you can handle cold weather well or not but just a thought.

Maybe being in the area with other religious may help? They can offer spiritual (and possible physical) support that may make it easier. There will always be a priest nearby which might help. The Alhambra area might be a good idea.

• 4 years later...

Are any of you still in the southern california area and seeking a quiet place for a hermitage?  I'm being drawn to solitude and would like someone close by to talk to who is a hermit. I'm in San Diego.