An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could someone help me out please?

JessieL

veritasluxmea

Don't have a friend...no sense in you guys praying for a nonexistent person. So I guess I am a troll; one with psychological problems some of which stem from the fact that being a nun was my dream until I discovered all this stuff. I am furious and I feel cheated and betrayed. Don't worry this will be the last time I come here and you can delete my logon if you want. Or even delete this thread. That's probably the best option.

I am seriously going to go to Confession and then I will try to get my life back together.

Hope the nun thing goes well for you guys.

​I'm sorry you feel this way after receiving many nice, appropriate, and welcoming messages from people. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone out there. 

MarysLittleFlower

Don't have a friend...no sense in you guys praying for a nonexistent person. So I guess I am a troll; one with psychological problems some of which stem from the fact that being a nun was my dream until I discovered all this stuff. I am furious and I feel cheated and betrayed. Don't worry this will be the last time I come here and you can delete my logon if you want. Or even delete this thread. That's probably the best option.

I am seriously going to go to Confession and then I will try to get my life back together.

Hope the nun thing goes well for you guys.

Jessie, I don't know your situation or what you read about religious life that made you upset. Maybe it might just take time to understand those aspects? I think it might help you to have a spiritual director to talk this out with or at least the priest in Confession. Spiritual directors are really helpful. Anyways prayers for you..

I can't help but roll my eyes at the OP who just happened to google nasty things about the Nashville Dominicans, it's always been her dream to be a nun, but she also always heard stories about grumpy nuns beating orphans, and her dad will be so upset if she and/or her imaginary friend becomes a brainwashed robot.

Much betrayed. So furious. "Please delete my thread now"

Behold a troll.

I've always wondered why religious life/priesthood topics seem to attract unstable personalities.

AveMariaPurissima

@JessieL you are in my prayers.  :heart:

FWIW, I can relate a little bit.  Without getting into a lot of detail, from a young age I wanted to be a nun, but certain psychologically, spiritually, and emotionally damaging experiences left me somewhat skeptical about religious life.  Deep down, I still recognize the value and beauty of religious life, but another part of me is apprehensive and sometimes wonders why anyone would even want to be a nun.  I'm not saying this attitude is good or that I'm proud of it -- rather, I'm openly being honest about an area in me that still needs healing.  So don't jump all over me -- I'm just saying that I think I understand a little where Jessie's coming from.   

:o)Katherine:o)

You exist, so we will pray for you!

​Yes JessieL, you will be in our prayers! When you go to confession, talk to the priest about your frustration, anger and hurt. Confession is not only a chance to confess our sins but also to seek advice and guidance. You are literally sitting one on one with a priest through Persona Christi which means that you are talking with Christ.

Don't panic yet.  She is just going on a retreat.  After the retreat, she may lose her interest. She may apply, and  that is a long process, and they may not accept her.  She may enter and leave.  Does she like to teach?  Most of these sisters teach.  Does she think that she could wear that (very well-designed) hot habit in Nashville in the summer?

Don't panic yet.  She is just going on a retreat.  After the retreat, she may lose her interest. She may apply, and  that is a long process, and they may not accept her.  She may enter and leave.  Does she like to teach?  Most of these sisters teach.  Does she think that she could wear that (very well-designed) hot habit in Nashville in the summer?

​It pays to read the whole thread.

Good pointers other than that, though. :like2: 

Catherine Therese

I can't help but roll my eyes... <snip>

Behold a troll.

I've always wondered why religious life/priesthood topics seem to attract unstable personalities.

​I think precisely because there is a lot of anger/hurt here, and we obviously none of us have any idea what things have transpired in the OP's life to prompt such a response, that rolling eyes, pointing fingers and highlighting bad behaviour doesn't do a whole lot to serve the person on the other end of the network connection.

You say "Behold a troll".

I say "Ecce homo... behold the man" - behold Christ in someone who is suffering! Isn't this what we're taught? Do we believe it? 

Yesterday we heard the "love your enemies" Gospel at Mass. If we're trying to witness collectively to JessieL here in this thread she started, will she encounter people who will walk the "2nd mile" with her? Will she encounter authentically Christian community? Just something to think about as a community, anyway. 

​I think precisely because there is a lot of anger/hurt here, and we obviously none of us have any idea what things have transpired in the OP's life to prompt such a response, that rolling eyes, pointing fingers and highlighting bad behaviour doesn't do a whole lot to serve the person on the other end of the network connection.

You say "Behold a troll".

I say "Ecce homo... behold the man" - behold Christ in someone who is suffering! Isn't this what we're taught? Do we believe it? 

Yesterday we heard the "love your enemies" Gospel at Mass. If we're trying to witness collectively to JessieL here in this thread she started, will she encounter people who will walk the "2nd mile" with her? Will she encounter authentically Christian community? Just something to think about as a community, anyway. 

​Yes, I've been having a bad conscience about it as well.

@JessieL, if you read this, please forgive us for not doing more to clear up your fears about religious life. I, for one, would like to keep talking with you :) and don't worry about having psychological problems, on VS alone there is a real pick 'n' mix of various health problems; nobody is in perfect health, that's why we need Christ!

:buddies:

MarysLittleFlower

​Yes, I've been having a bad conscience about it as well.

@JessieL, if you read this, please forgive us for not doing more to clear up your fears about religious life. I, for one, would like to keep talking with you :) and don't worry about having psychological problems, on VS alone there is a real pick 'n' mix of various health problems; nobody is in perfect health, that's why we need Christ!

:buddies:

I agree with Marigold and Catherine Therese... :) I struggle with things often and God is very patient with me. I think we can try and think of His perspective :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

I think there are at least some women who have mixed feelings at the very beginning when they first realize that God might be asking them to consider religious life. I've read several vocation stories where a woman's reaction when she first realized she might be called to religious life was, "Why me?" Obviously, these women's feelings about the religious life completely changed before they entered. Despite horror stories--mostly from the distant past--of women being forced into religious life, I don't think any legitimate religious order of today who is in line with the Roman Catholic Church would admit a woman who didn't truly want to be there--or force a woman to stay against her will.

Also, I think there are women out there like me, who support religious life even if we are not called. I first found the idea of religious life fascinating when I was about 10 or so and read "Life with Mother Superior" by Jane Trahey (later to become the movie "The Trouble with Angels"). Theoretically, I could have pursued religious life when I was in my teens/20's--I was raised Anglican and there are Anglican religious orders. But, at that point in my life the idea never even entered my head. I was strongly called to marriage.

Since then I have realized that while there are certain aspects of religious life I find attractive, ultimately that is not where I am called. For example, although I realize it is VERY hard to sing/chant the full Office every day, no matter what your mood or health, I strongly suspect I would love it. However, there are other aspects of my personality, values, beliefs, and ultimately, my health, that mean I am not called to religious life. However, I still enjoy reading about religious life, and it makes me feel a least a little useful to support other women who ARE called.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I'm willing to reconsider my ideas but could someone explain to me why religious orders aren't cults when other groups that do the same things are?

​Catholic religious orders are not cults because they live under Rules known and approved by an official authority in the Church, and there is supervision about how they actually live, as well as higher authorities to go to in case of abuse.

This is beside everything else that has been said before.

A cult is a closed-in thing. That's way different from a religious community in the Catholic Church.

This doesn't prevent from having problems and abuses in some cases and that's why there are investigations from the Church authority into particular cases.

As to "other groups that do the same thing": only you know what do you mean by this. A cult is a very different thing than a Catholic Religious Order.

Thought about posting this on the vocation side but didn't want to insult anyone. A very good friend of mine said she wants to be a nun and frankly I think she is crazy. I mean I'm Catholic but not like that. The whole thing where you couldn't see your family and had to give up all your stuff and do ANYTHING they tell you to do always kind of rang cult warning bells in my head. And I'm worried that my friend isn't getting the whole story from the nuns that she's talking to.

I would kindly invite you to read and reflect on the Gospels where the life of Jesus is spelled out. He did ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that the Father told Him to do, including die on a Cross. And yes, He was and is crazy ... crazily in love with the Father and with us poor sinners. He left His Father in Heaven to come to earth to suffer under our own human skin etc. etc. etc.

Then you can read some lives of saints and see how they chose to live in imitation of Jesus and why they have been declared saints.

Jesus says in the Gospel that we -His followers- don't belong to the world like He doesn't belong to the world. And yes the "world" means in a broad way the "secular" world. In our secular world Jesus and His followers are crazy and yet "Heaven and earth will pass away but My words won't pass". The Gospel values are eternal while secular opinions will be proven wrong and fade for sure.

veritasluxmea

I just want to take a moment and say phatmass VS is probably the nicest place on the internet. I am extremely fond of you all.