An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help

marigold

Marigold, you have been on my mind lately! Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. I know that things have been a whirlwind of excitement! :frantics:

You are still in my prayers!!!!

We must have connected across the ether because I just decided to log in and update you all! :)

My friends at my home parish have sorted of just... kept giving me money. Last night I was emailing with one guy and he asked how much more I needed to be able to travel, I told him just in passing, not thinking anything of it, and this morning I got an email saying 'Oh btw I'm off on holiday for a while but that money's in your account!' It makes me feel very loved and supported - also challenging in a good way, as I've said, because it helps me realise it's not just about me.

So the next month or so is going to be a bit crazy, as we're all moving out of this flat and I'm sort of half moving in with/half just helping move one of my flatmates. I will be leaving my stuff there, which is very generous of her. And with the money I've got now, I can afford to fly to one community, where I hope to stay for at least a couple of months, perhaps shorter or longer, depending on how it goes of course.

One sort of annoying thing - to me - about Orthodox monastic communities is that they tend to be so friggin' secure in their openness to the Holy Spirit that they will commit to almost nothing. 'Wait and see', 'Let's see how it goes', 'Give it time', 'Come whenever you like'... I would have been able to pay my own debts if I had a penny for every time I heard that from an Orthodox nun's mouth :smile3:

So: let's see how it goes.

I want to emphasise that I'm not entering. I'm just going to live there for a while and go from there. So nobody try and start a countdown thread :)

TheresaThoma

I don't think it is just an Orthodox thing. The community I am discerning with is very laid back about discerning. Sometimes it can be really frustrating but I know they do it so as not to pressure any candidates.

they tend to be so friggin' secure in their openness to the Holy Spirit that they will commit to almost nothing

:lol3:

There's a saying in Hebrew that Orthodox Jews use a lot: "bli neder", literally, "without vow". It goes like this:

"Moshe! We're going all out for the Shabbos tisch this Friday. You should come!"

"Sounds great! I'll plan on it! Bli neder!"

And then there's "b'yirtzei Hashem", meaning "God willing" or "if God wills it". So:

"I need new shoes. Will you come with me on Tuesday to shop for some?"

"Sure, b'yirtzei Hashem!"

Secular Jews find this really annoying! ;) 

:o)Katherine:o)

Thanks for the update Marigold! I'm so excited for you and am so glad that things keep falling into place. Crazy (cool kind of crazy!) how God's whispers and gentle nudges make such an impact.

Ha! I hope that they will listen to the Holy Spirit and share with you sooner rather than later whatever it may be! I'm not saying I want them to rush it because it is all in God's time. But I know you get what I mean. I hope you don't collect a lot of penny's! ;)

Looking forward to future updates! 

There's a saying in Hebrew that Orthodox Jews use a lot: "bli neder", literally, "without vow". It goes like this:

"Moshe! We're going all out for the Shabbos tisch this Friday. You should come!"

And then there's "b'yirtzei Hashem", meaning "God willing" or "if God wills it". So:

Hispanics here for centuries in northern New Mexico (former New Spain)  say "God willing."

Actually, in Israel, not so much.  It is quite amazing how many references to God ostensibly extremely secular Israelis make.  For example: "How are you?"  "HaShem yishmor" [literally, God will guard.  It means, "I'm fine"]  And there are lots more.

Actually, in Israel, not so much.  It is quite amazing how many references to God ostensibly extremely secular Israelis make.  For example: "How are you?"  "HaShem yishmor" [literally, God will guard.  It means, "I'm fine"]  And there are lots more.

Yes, I've heard Orthodox monks and nuns respond to 'How are you?' with 'Thank God!' ... :)

Spem in alium

So glad you've had such great developments with this! I will pray. At the moment I am at the Oratory of St Joseph in Montreal, so I will ask him to intercede in anything still causing stress for you. He is a wonderful patron. 

Hispanics here for centuries in northern New Mexico (former New Spain)  say "God willing."

I say this, actually, but from the Jewish influence. (I'm not Hispanic!)

I actually heard both a lot in Israel, but from haredim. If you move in those circles, it comes up pretty much every day!

I agree about the secular Israelis, though: I was really surprised how much supposedly "non-religious" people mention God!

Yes, I've heard Orthodox monks and nuns respond to 'How are you?' with 'Thank God!' ... :)

I do that! I think it weirds people out, though. :wacko: