An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun Documentary

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Have any of you seen this UK documentary? I can't believe she told the person at the store she was becoming a nun when she was sandal shopping! I didn't dare! In my day we asked for waitressing shoes! :-)

I loved this! Most documentaries seem to focus on discernment or what happens after they enter.  I loved seeing the "in-between" stage of navigating life before entrance. 

Just started watching it, so far the best part is with the CFR sisters in the car!!! :hehe:

OH MY GOSH LC's COMMUNITY!!! YAAAYYYYY!!!

OH MY GOSH LCCCCC!!!  although its old cos shes a postulant in that vid and shes in temprorary vows now :nun:

That was a really good video. I'm glad they didn't sensationalize it or make it seem oh-so-holy. Normal women. Normal doubts.

Is it just me, or do British media do a better job of presenting religious life and discernment respectfully? It seems to me that the articles and videos and whatnot that I see on these subjects out of the UK are so much more realistic and less dramatized than the US stuff.

One thing I wondered, though: "You can't enter if you're not 100% sure!" What? Of the sisters I've spoken with, very few were 100% sure! They took the leap!

Edited by Gabriela

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yeah, I wondered at that, too. So maybe it was out of context? 100% sure? Yikes!

I agree that they do a better job across the pond portraying religious life.

Spem in alium

That was a really good video. I'm glad they didn't sensationalize it or make it seem oh-so-holy. Normal women. Normal doubts.

Is it just me, or do British media do a better job of presenting religious life and discernment respectfully? It seems to me that the articles and videos and whatnot that I see on these subjects out of the UK are so much more realistic and less dramatized than the US stuff.

One thing I wondered, though: "You can't enter if you're not 100% sure!" What? Of the sisters I've spoken with, very few were 100% sure! They took the leap!

I am with you: it was, to me, a very respectful documentary and very normal.

Yes, I did wonder about the 100% too! That did surprise me. Perhaps Sister is right and it was taken out of context. 

Vee, are you saying that the young woman who returned home eventually returned to the convent?

sorry for the confusion, I hope this clarifies things.  The LC I was so excited to see in the video  is a former phatmasser who entered the Dominicans of St joseph several years ago.  She is still with that community and seems to be doing very well.  As far as I know once she entered she has been in formation straight through until now.

The young woman in the video who entered St Ceclia's abbey and then returned home a few months later I dont know her at all and dont know where her story has led. 

Sponsa-Christi

Yeah, I wondered at that, too. So maybe it was out of context? 100% sure? Yikes!

I interpreted this as being more like: "You have to be 100% sure that entering the community is the right step for you at this point in your life" as opposed to "you have to be 100% sure that you'll want to stay here forever." 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yes, Sr. Mary CathErine was a postulant back then! She is now in temporary vows.

I interpreted this as being more like: "You have to be 100% sure that entering the community is the right step for you at this point in your life" as opposed to "you have to be 100% sure that you'll want to stay here forever." 

Yes, it could be that. Again. I suspect that part of our problem is that we are sort of listening into half of a conversation!

HopefulHeart

I really liked the documentary. It struck me as an honest and positive portrayal of religious life.

Sister Leticia

Thank you to those who have lauded UK religious life programmes - very kind of you! I have to say though, that in my community this documentary got mixed reviews. Yes, there were good things and it wasn't sensationalised, but as I recall, we did wonder what footage had been edited out. For example, there was plenty of footage of Catherine dancing and modelling, but she was never shown praying or going to Mass except when she visited the convent. One of our candidates had met her a couple of times and felt that although she was as undecided and into partying as she was portrayed, she was also sincere about her faith, prayed, went to Mass and so on, and this didn't come across.

Also, when Clara and Catherine were talking about their reasons for wanting to enter they didn't talk about being in love with Jesus, or centring their lives in God or anything like that. In a way, we heard more about God and call from Clara's family than from Clara! It's a pity, because we felt viewers might not have understood just what strength of love and call would impel any young woman to go through the anguish of saying goodbye to her family and giving away all her treasured possessions to enter a monastery. Why would you, unless you were sure you'd found your pearl of great price? It felt such a pity none of this was said, as we felt it was a missed opportunity.

I contrast it with the interviews and newspaper artices a few months ago (after the interest in news of the increase in religious vocations) with Theo Hawkesley, the CJ postulant. She talked about increasingly centring her life on God and prayer, and growing in love and knowing God's love. Luckily none of this got edited out!

Clk - in answer to your question, I heard that Clara went back to university to do a MA, but I don't know what she has done since. We felt she might well have a religious vocation, and so like you I would hope she had either returned to the monastery or entered somewhere else. But in a way it's a good thing I haven't heard about her, as I hope it means she can get on with doing whatever she's doing quietly, without unnecessary spotlights shining on her or reminders of what happened and how she was 4 years ago.