An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns haircut

LukeDominican

On 7/26/2015 at 3:29 AM, LukeDominican said:

Hi! I'm new in this forum and english is not my native language, therefore excuse me for my mistakes!

I'd like to know if all the nuns have to cut their hair during investiture ceremony, or just cover them under the veil. And this traditional haircut is well accepted by the young novices? Or this sacrifice is not easy to accept by a girl with a vocation for the religious life?

I'm very interested on this topic because a relative of mine would enter a convent but she is very sad at the thought of having to cut his long hair! Is this normal or strange for an aspirant?

Each community is different. When I was in religious life I braided my long hair and wore it up underneath my veil. Most sisters I've met have short hair so as not to waste time with fixing one's hair especially first thing in the morning.
For nuns who wear more traditional garb where their hair and neck are covered it's more practical to have shorter hair for the sake of cleanliness.

PaxCordisJesu

Speaking of nuns' hair, I recently came across this beautiful video of an investiture ceremony. Not sure where it is, as it's all in Spanish/Portuguese/something-like-that. I think I counted 21 locks of hair cut off! Now that's my dream nun haircut. :smile2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKG230jzVfI

BTW, that first song is beautiful.

Edited by PaxCordisJesu