An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

QUiet postulant are the best ! 

During a moment, I thought you were a sister of the Holy Family of Villefranche de Rouergue, a congregation that I love. Too much congregation are "sisters of the holy family !" ! 

Spem in alium

QUiet postulant are the best ! 

During a moment, I thought you were a sister of the Holy Family of Villefranche de Rouergue, a congregation that I love. Too much congregation are "sisters of the holy family !" ! 

Ah, but we are "Sisters of the Holy Family OF NAZARETH" :) So many people ask me if we have a shorter name - nope! We can't technically go shorter, either, because there are Holy Family Sisters, Sisters of Nazareth, etc. 

Lovely!!!! And I love your new postulants!

We love them too!

Last night we had an amazing celebration of the Assumption, which we also tied in to the Year of Consecrated Life. Sisters came from several houses around the province, and we managed to get our Sister who is in our aged care facility to come along too. We said Vespers and a decade of the Rosary together, and then got into the fun and games. Here's one of my favourite pictures from the night. We were visited by two "angels" (two of our Sisters) with a suitcase containing novelty gifts for each one of us, which actually revealed something about what we do or need. (I got a giant baby's dummy/pacifier, because I am the "baby" in the Province). It was such a good time! It's so funny because one of our older Sisters, who tends to be quiet and reserved, was actually the best at all the games and really enjoyed herself. 

11902346_1014819355219039_25066004864092

Spem in alium

Every third Thursday of the month our diocese holds a Holy Hour for Vocations - and this week one of my Sisters gave a reflection there on the Gospel for the day (Mt 22:1-14). It was my first time attending, but Sister told me there are usually very few people there - only seminarians and a few elderly people who come. This time, though, a parish choir joined us with beautiful music, and we had a few young people who dropped by. 

Sister gave a beautiful reflection. Here is what she said about God's generosity.

"We have just read from the Gospel, “Look, my banquet is all prepared, my oxen and fattened cattle have been slaughtered, everything is ready. Come to the wedding.” (Mt 22:4) 
And He says this to us. Do you see how God is generous? Do you feel it? He shows the beauty of the wedding feast: food is prepared in abundance. God always shows us the beauty of each vocation and especially the one He calls us to. 
He doesn’t ask do this or that and then invite us to follow His call on the path of priesthood, consecrated life or married life. He doesn’t demand from us to be perfect and prepared. But simply He assures us of His love and His abundant blessings and help. God is and will be with us. God gives and will give everything we need to be able to fulfill our vocation."

11933444_1017372244963750_77728142351960

• 5 weeks later...

Today Sisters are being interviewed (and filmed) by the Archdiocesan Vocations Centre as part of the Year of Consecrated Life. My superior and my formation director will both be in the limelight...but yesterday I met with my director and she said she wanted me to be around and get interviewed too. Who knows?!

I have been informed that at the end of the year I will be able to progress to the next stage in my formation. I am truly awed by the tremendous graces God has given me and by the great goodness He has shown me in leading me to my Sisters. Please pray for my Sisters, for my family, and for me.

(Oh, and I was interviewed! It was a great experience.)

Thank you! So far it has been an incredible and at times unbelievable journey. I've been so richly blessed. 

As far as I know, I don't need to apply again, but just need to add some documents to my file, and the transition will really focus on evaluations given of me by the Sisters I live with in community (they won't themselves be the determining factor of whether I'm accepted or not, but will just be useful tools for my director and superior to use if there are any issues needing addressing). I'm a little apprehensive about that, but trusting in God it will go well (I don't really see a reason why it won't, but you never know). I really feel like I belong here, which is profoundly meaningful for me.

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Last week was a busy week. I helped my superior (of the house, and also Provinicial) to add some finishing touches to our biannual newsletter. Then she asked me if I would be interested in preparing a small gift for each of our Sisters to mark the feast of the Guardian Angels (which is also the day on which our Foundress received the Pope's blessing to begin the congregation). I enjoy calligraphy and am working on developing my skills there, so I ended up writing out some individual Scripture verses or quotes and framing them for my Sisters. It was actually a very prayerful experience also as I would think about each Sister and what she might like...and actually, several of them were amazed I had written what I did and said that it really fit for them. All through the power of the Spirit!

This weekend, we held our first ever weekend retreat for discerners! Usually we will only have a day retreat, but this was from Friday to Sunday. There were many challenges in getting it organised and actually happening, but we did it!

We had three young women attend (two of them actually weren't discerning their vocation, but I think they still enjoyed themselves and got something out of it). I gave a talk about my own vocation journey yesterday and offered them some advice on discernment. I think it went okay even though I accidentally left my notes at home. It was a great experience and opportunity.

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Yesterday my father visited me unexpectedly. He was in the area and thought he'd come round. We had a nice conversation with my superior and another Sister and then talked privately for a short time. It really made my day.

Keep going with your updates, it's really cool to read them :) 

Do you know if your congregation have a french website ? I read on wikipedia that you're in France, but I can't find a website (and there's a lot of congregation called "sisters of the holy family of Something"... !). Thanks ! 

Spem in alium

Today after Mass we met with two of the young women who participated on our retreat. They called our vocations director and asked to meet with her! They said they would only stay with us for one hour, but they stayed for almost three... :)

This last week I have been able to have great discussions with Sisters about very important topics - canon law, our vow of poverty, formation... If I am accepted to progress in formation, I will be the first postulant for my congregation in my country in 40 years. 

Keep going with your updates, it's really cool to read them :) 

Do you know if your congregation have a french website ? I read on wikipedia that you're in France, but I can't find a website (and there's a lot of congregation called "sisters of the holy family of Something"... !). Thanks ! 

Thank you! Here is our congregational website; I have linked to the page for the European province (combining England, France, and Italy).

In July I was present for the opening of our General Chapter in Rome. I can't even express how amazing it was for me, an aspirant, to be present for that. Anyway, while I was there I spoke with a Sister who lives in Paris. She was actually our Mother General in the 1990s and has an incredible life story. We didn't speak for an extended time, but she's one of the most beautiful women I've ever met.

http://www.nazarethfamily.org/eng/europe_province__england__france__italy

P.S. I got so excited by the picture of Sisters at the top of the webpage. Three of them are "my" Sisters who I met on my travels, all living in Rome. :) 

Edited by Spem in alium