An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Oh, it happened ;) I'll see what I can rustle up for ya. :) 

Interview today went really well! The lady running the interview asked me a few questions and then took some photos of me with our Mother Foundress's portrait and in the kitchen cooking as an "action shot". I was actually cooking today so it wasn't completely untrue...but was laughing to myself because Sisters are preparing for Christmas so there were a million pots on the stove, making me look like a real chef. :smile3: I even put on an apron to make it look more real ;) 

Spem in alium

Last day of cooking for my community :( (back in November, my superior recruited me to cook both Tuesdays and Wednesdays until the end of the year). Boy, it's been helpful! While I came to the convent having done some cooking at home, I really didn't know a lot. 

Spem in alium

And I spent almost all day in the kitchen! Cooked this morning, and then in the afternoon helped my superior and her sister (who is visiting us) prepare some food for our Christmas Eve celebrations tomorrow. :) 

Spem,

Can you send some food across the ocean to me?  I've got SOOOO much to do before my children and grandchildren descend on our house at 10 am tomorrow :)  We are roasting a pig, yes it's true, a 40 pounder we named Federico.  My son does corporate events for a large catering company and is bringing the pig and the roasting truck tomorrow.  He took a photo of the pig with the pig wearing a sombrero - how festive.....NOT!  How can you eat what you've named?! The main course is taken care of, the side dishes not so much.

Christmas Blessings to all!

Edited by Francis Clare

Spem in alium
4 hours ago, Francis Clare said:

Spem,

Can you send some food across the ocean to me?  I've got SOOOO much to do before my children and grandchildren descend on our house at 10 am tomorrow :)  We are roasting a pig, yes it's true, a 40 pounder we named Federico.  My son does corporate events for a large catering company and is bringing the pig and the roasting truck tomorrow.  He took a photo of the pig with the pig wearing a sombrero - how festive.....NOT!  How can you eat what you've named?! The main course is taken care of, the side dishes not so much.

Christmas Blessings to all!

Haha, what would you like? We've got herrings, sauerkraut with peas, dried mushroom soup, borscht, fruit compote...
Wowee! I hope you enjoy Federico ;) What else are you preparing for the meal?

I truly can't believe that Christmas is tomorrow and that it's almost my anniversary....and in three days I'll be leaving here...! Boy, time flies!

God bless you all, and a joyful Christmas to you!

Spem in alium

Christ is born!

We had a tremendous night - prayer and meal. I was asked to lay the Baby Jesus in the manger in our chapel before we prayed Vespers. The meal was AMAZING. Although there were twelve dishes, it wasn't really a huge amount of food as you really took only a little of everything (but still ended up full). And then four of us - me, my superior, my formation director and another sister - spent about half an hour dancing to Christmas carols, much to the entertainment of other sisters...so we burned calories ;)

But I had a VERY interesting encounter at Mass. I went with another sister who knows many people from the parish. She introduced me to to one of them, and this lady straight away said, "You've got the face of a sister". Interesting, because I have what you may generally call a "facial disfigurement". I was a little stunned by it, to be honest (because I couldn't really guess her intention or motive or anything), but then before Mass she ended up discussing her personal concerns and issues with me, so I guess she couldn't have found me too alarming ;) 

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Happy Feast of the Holy Family!!!

Yesterday I went with three of my sisters (and one sister's blood sister...so many "sisters"!) on a road trip. We started off at a Benedictine monastery (with Lauds and Mass) and then went walking in a rainforest, did some shopping and sightseeing, etc. It was so fantastic. The best part of the whole day? Just simply BEING with them.

Today I go on holiday...one month with my family. I've been really anticipating this and I know it will be emotional for me to leave. I'm soooo excited to be with my family, but I can't even begin to think how much I will miss my sisters (and my life here in the convent). It's really bittersweet. A month is not a huge amount of time, but it's enough time to be able to test yourself, discern, and make a decision, and this is, I believe, what is being offered to me by my sisters. I feel in my heart that I know what God is asking of me...now I guess I just need to prepare myself to say yes. :) 

Spem in alium

Happy New Year! I had a quiet night with my youngest sister - we ordered some food, watched movies, sang and played games until midnight. It was the best. :) 

Spem in alium
1 hour ago, vee said:

Ha!  Happy new year to those living in the future!

It's pretty good living in the future. You should try it sometime. ;) 

20 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Happy New Year! I had a quiet night with my youngest sister - we ordered some food, watched movies, sang and played games until midnight. It was the best. :) 

Sounds perfect :) I stayed up with my dad, we listened to Big Ben on the radio, lit sparklers and then went to bed!

Spem in alium
17 hours ago, marigold said:

Sounds perfect :) I stayed up with my dad, we listened to Big Ben on the radio, lit sparklers and then went to bed!

Sounds absolutely lovely :) 

Only a week in to my home visit, and already things are becoming clear for me. :) I'm working through the application for my formation...please pray that goes smoothly and as stress-free as possible for me and Sisters. 

2 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Only a week in to my home visit, and already things are becoming clear for me. :) 

Is this the most nunly and diplomatic thing I've ever heard? Yes, I think it is.

:hehe: 

eta: but yes I will pray for you!

Edited by marigold

Spem in alium
8 hours ago, marigold said:

Is this the most nunly and diplomatic thing I've ever heard? Yes, I think it is.

:hehe: 

eta: but yes I will pray for you!

:hehe: Haha, I guess that was quite nunly! 

It's been such an interesting time for me. I've discovered a lot about myself and particularly about my siblings that I never really noticed before. Maybe you need to live away from family for a while to see more. My reactions and approaches to things are also different and I don't think they really expected that. 

Thank you!!!