An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Sister Leticia

I wonder if your mother has friends (these people who gave her a hard time when you entered?) who stir her up a bit? Maybe they say what a pity she can't see you more often, or when they heard you'd entered/were applying for noviciate they said things like "oh, that's awful, what a pity, she's such a lovely girl too..."

Just go on praying and letting them know you're happy and settled - which they can see for themselves.

Btw, when I entered, my mother only wanted to know how easily I could leave - but I do believe that after a few years, if I had left, she'd have been upset that I was "breaking my vows"! And well before then she and my father could see I was happy and in the right place, so they could feel happy for me.

Spem in alium
On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:09 AM, Sister Leticia said:

I wonder if your mother has friends (these people who gave her a hard time when you entered?) who stir her up a bit? Maybe they say what a pity she can't see you more often, or when they heard you'd entered/were applying for noviciate they said things like "oh, that's awful, what a pity, she's such a lovely girl too..."

Just go on praying and letting them know you're happy and settled - which they can see for themselves.

Btw, when I entered, my mother only wanted to know how easily I could leave - but I do believe that after a few years, if I had left, she'd have been upset that I was "breaking my vows"! And well before then she and my father could see I was happy and in the right place, so they could feel happy for me.

Judging by what she has said to me, I'd say this is what has happened. My extended family has been mostly supportive but I do feel some have not really agreed with it, and I know my dad's work partner has given him a bit of a dig about it. I wish they didn't have to deal with things like that. I'll definitely keep praying for them, especially during Christmas - it's such a joyful but such a family-oriented time, and even though my sisters are family and I am so happy to be with them for another Christmas, I really feel the absence of my mum and dad. And then I give thanks to God for my beautiful parents with whom I can have such a good relationship!

Our Christmas celebrations have been so great. I love my sisters. And, of course, not without funny moments! We had great fun singing carols together and creating general merriment :) One of our sisters (who is the sacristan in our shrine) walks very quickly and pretty much dashes everywhere. After lunch, before we opened gifts, she rushed to her room and came back about a minute later in completely different clothing (she was wearing her habit, and changed into a blouse and skirt). Some of us didn't even realise she had gone, she was that quick. We were all so amused and one sister said "She probably wears this under her habit all the time!" :hehe2:

Spem in alium

We visited our sister in hospital yesterday. She was discharged too early last week and had to be taken back to the hospital. She is only now just starting to eat after 12 days or so and it's making her a bit unwell. She was quite talkative and seemed happy to see us. Please continue to pray for her, pham. We don't know what the outcome will be, but she's in God's hands whatever it is.

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Today (26th) we had a wonderful celebration. One of our sisters (our current provincial and superior of the house) is moving to another convent tomorrow, and I celebrate my postulancy feast day on Wednesday, so we combined celebrations. 

Sisters prepared a beautiful message for our leaving sister, and some great games which had us all laughing so much. And then they challenged me with some tongue twisters and gave us both gifts. I prepared a poem with some words about each sister and gave them a small gift each - mostly fun things that said something about who they are. It was a big surprise for them :) 

Spem in alium

Today was sensational. My formator gave me the day off to be with my family. We spent most of the day simply talking and playing games. I gave them all Christmas presents and gave my mum something extra: a bracelet which my formator helped me organise. I told my mum that I knew it's been hard for her and that the bracelet will remind her that I'm always with her. She put it on straight away and I could tell she was very moved. 

Then when I got home I found a card and gift waiting at my door. It was from a sister who moved out of our convent today and who is very dear to my heart. It was so unexpected and moving. 

Spem in alium

Funny moment the other day. I was writing some Christmas wishes in Italian and was wondering why they didn't sound right. I read them over and over and even checked them against a dictionary to see what was the matter. Then I finally realised that part of my Italian wishes was written in Polish!

Spem in alium

Sensational few days.

We celebrated our congregational feast day with a good meal and carol singing. On New Year's Eve I went with my formator for some shopping and for brunch. She is such nice company and we had a great time. In the evening we had Adoration and watched the NY fireworks on TV and also from our garden  (the school next to the convent was celebrating).

Yesterday we had our house blessed. Two priests came and we had a beautiful lunch together. In the afternoon, after Vespers, we received our patrons for the year (we get a patron, a virtue to practice and something to pray for). Another sister and I prepared 31 patrons for our sisters, our houses and our province. After two years of having our foundress as my patron, I wondered if I would be blessed again to be under her protection. This year my patron is St Edith Stein! What I found particularly moving was that she is the patron of loss of one's parents, and I am praying this year for the deceased parents of my Sisters :) I had absolutely no idea of her patronage when I was putting the patrons and prayer intentions together as I know very little about her!

Spem in alium

Today is one of our sisters' birthdays. We had the normal cards and gift for her in the morning, and in the evening we organised a cake with the community. After we had eaten our superior suggested we sing and so we spent close to an hour singing carols. When we finished singing, we all moved to the kitchen to start washing but one sister was still singing. She started dancing with our birthday girl and soon we were all dancing together...all seven of us, in the kitchen!

The small moments in community are so beautiful to me.

Sister Leticia
16 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

This year my patron is St Edith Stein! What I found particularly moving was that she is the patron of loss of one's parents, and I am praying this year for the deceased parents of my Sisters :) I had absolutely no idea of her patronage when I was putting the patrons and prayer intentions together as I know very little about her!

After what you've written about your parents' struggles with your entrance... Maybe you could ask your new patron to reverse her patronage, for you and your family - and take special care of your parents, who fear they are losing their daughter?

Spem in alium
4 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

After what you've written about your parents' struggles with your entrance... Maybe you could ask your new patron to reverse her patronage, for you and your family - and take special care of your parents, who fear they are losing their daughter?

That's a beautiful idea. I have searched (but not been successful) to find when her mother died - if she was alive when Edith converted and later entered the Carmelites. I doubt that St Edith did not pray for her parents. I think she will be a good patron in that regard, praying for my family too. 

Spem in alium

Nice (and funny) moments in aged care:

- I was going home for lunch and crossing a courtyard where some residents were sitting. I smiled and waved at them and one man said (not in English), "Hi, little Sister!" I went up to him and took his hand and he said something like "Why are you so small???"

- After lunch I went to visit a few particular residents. I was in the dining room speaking to one lady and I saw another lady whom I know make a beeline for me. I happen to remember her full name, even her maiden name, and she always gets a kick out of hearing me say it (though because she has dementia, she doesn't remember that I know it, so it is always a pleasant surprise for her ). We went into their TV room to talk and another lady followed us, so we were a nice group for a while. The two of them both have some form of dementia to varying degrees so it made for interesting conversation!

One thing about this particular lady is she gives compliments every few minutes, maybe even more regularly. It makes me a bit uncomfortable (compliments, especially extended ones, generally do) but I stay with her - she remembers me and likes to talk with me. At one point she said, "I never thought I would fall in love with someone the way I have fallen in love with you." It was so surprising! 

On 1/2/2017 at 7:09 PM, Spem in alium said:

That's a beautiful idea. I have searched (but not been successful) to find when her mother died - if she was alive when Edith converted and later entered the Carmelites. I doubt that St Edith did not pray for her parents. I think she will be a good patron in that regard, praying for my family too. 

Edith's mother was alive when Edith was baptised and when she entered the monastery, and she cried both times. Her daughter's conversion was very painful to her. On the day Edith entered the monastery, she accompanied her mother to synagogue one last time, and her grieving mother asked her, "Why did you get to know it [Christianity]? I don't want to say anything against him [Jesus]. He may have been a very good person. But why did he make himself God?" That anguished, "Why did you get to know it?" has been asked by a lot of Catholic parents about their children's decision to enter religious life. I think Jesus has definitely sent the right patron to you. ;)

Spem in alium
2 hours ago, beatitude said:

Edith's mother was alive when Edith was baptised and when she entered the monastery, and she cried both times. Her daughter's conversion was very painful to her. On the day Edith entered the monastery, she accompanied her mother to synagogue one last time, and her grieving mother asked her, "Why did you get to know it [Christianity]? I don't want to say anything against him [Jesus]. He may have been a very good person. But why did he make himself God?" That anguished, "Why did you get to know it?" has been asked by a lot of Catholic parents about their children's decision to enter religious life. I think Jesus has definitely sent the right patron to you. ;)

Oh, thank you. :) This speaks right to my heart. She is the perfect patron for me at this time. Thanks be to God.

Spem in alium

Praying especially for the homeless today. Since last night we've had a man sleeping and drinking alcohol in our garden. We've called the police but they've not yet arrived and we can't get him to move. One sister and I took him some food, drink and clothes as he's very wet and dirty. He seems very disoriented and lost (perhaps as s result of alcohol) and couldn't tell us anything besides his name and that he has no family.

Spem in alium

The man was taken away by the police this afternoon. He couldn't stand and walk on his own and was very disoriented, so an ambulance came to assist. Please pray with us for him.