An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Today some of my sisters and I had a beautiful day at the beach - walking, swimming, talking, eating gelato... Only letdown was getting stung by a bluebottle (small jellyfish) and getting a bit sunburned -- my skin is very sensitive even with sunscreen. My legs now look like tomatoes but I should be right in a few days!

TheresaThoma

Ouch on the bluebottle sting! I hope it was only a mild one. Sounds like a lovely day besides that though.

Spem in alium

One of my sisters died today. I feel numb but I know she's with God. She is the first person to die whom I've really known and loved. 

Spem in alium
On Sunday, January 08, 2017 at 10:33 AM, TheresaThoma said:

Ouch on the bluebottle sting! I hope it was only a mild one. Sounds like a lovely day besides that though.

It was mild but still very painful. One of my feet (the one which was stung) is sore and blistered. Otherwise I'm ok, just still red.

Sister's funeral will hopefully be this week. Today was not an easy day by any means. Please pray for us. 

My prayers and thoughts are for you and your sisters, Spem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-i1ESIRKdA

In paradisum deducant te Angeli; in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem. Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cum Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

May the angels lead you into paradise; may the martyrs receive you at your arrival and lead you to the holy city Jerusalem. May choirs of angels receive you and with Lazarus, once a poor man, may you have eternal rest.

Spem in alium

Thank you, Nada. Her death was very unexpected and we're just shocked; she was in hospital but not critically ill. Many sisters went to the hospital but she died before they arrived - one sister was with her, and I'm glad she didn't die alone.

Some of us stayed home and prayed (we were praying around the time she died). There are some absolutely beautiful prayers for the dying and departed. We prayed one which was like a litany of Old Testament figures, very striking.

Sister and I lived in the same community and were quite close to one another. I am still coming to terms with the fact that I'll never see her again on earth. I was quite consoled and amused, though, by the fact that my prayer intention for this year is for our deceased parents and Sisters. When I got that intention I had the feeling it would be very relevant in some way, but didn't realise it would happen so soon. Maybe she's in heaven saying, "See, Spem? I asked you to pray for me and now you can  - ALL YEAR!" :hehe2:

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

My application to progress to the next stage of my formation is almost finalised. It would be nice to have a response before I go for my home visit in just over a week, as my family is asking me a lot of things, but there are so many more important and pressing things going on especially with our sister's death that I don't expect it. 

I will really miss her. She was much older than me, and of course had her own issues and faults, but her presence and influence in my life was huge. She's one of the most hospitable and caring people I've ever met.

My anniversary of religious life is coming up on March 19. I was accepted on the feast of St Joseph as Sisters know how special he is for me. Sister's feast day was the same day. Another way we are connected :) 

Spem in alium

Sister's funeral is on Tuesday, her burial is on Friday (she will be cremated) and on Saturday I go for my two-week home visit. In between all that is celebrating my formator's birthday, working and packing up all my belongings to move to another room in our house. Full-on! Deo gratias.

Spem in alium

This week I believe my application to progress to the next stage of religious formation will be presented to my superiors. I hope to have a decision before I go for my home visit on Saturday, so that I can tell my family in person, but with everything we have happening this week I'm not pushing it. Please pray for all of us. 

Spem in alium

Sister's funeral was today -- the hottest day we've had in a while. It was a beautiful and very simple ceremony. Afterwards I came home, sat in her chair and ate ice cream, because she liked it! I was also able to take some of her possessions as mementos, including a Rosary ring. It's too big to fit my fingers, except my thumb, but I draw comfort from the thought that she wore it and used it to pray.

A sister very close to my heart gave me a hug and told me that she and others are thinking of me. This is the first person I've known to die whom I've really known and loved. My sisters are so much like a family to me that it's like losing a relative. Those words of comfort mean so much.

Spem in alium

My home visit is going excellently and I'm praying for you all. Of course, I am different and my family is different so there are some changes, but I am happy to be back with them. The day before I left for my vacation my provincial came to visit me specifically to check if I was OK following the death of our sister. It absolutely blew me away to be cared for like that.

And please do pray:

I've exhausted almost every possible avenue to contact a very close friend of mine (short of calling her parents). I'm hoping to organise some time to visit her during the time I am with my family, as I most likely won't see her and will have very little contact with her for several years. Please pray we can connect.

Spem in alium

Thank you for praying about the situation with my friend! She contacted me yesterday. Unfortunately we can't meet in person, which does make me a little sad, but I'm holding her in my heart and prayer.

I have only a few days left with my family. Everything's very bittersweet. I'm looking forward to being home with my sisters, but saying goodbye to my family indefinitely will be very hard. Something that really gives me reassurance is the message of last Saturday's gospel - the disciples take Jesus as he is into the boat, and marvel at how something which seems so uncontrollable can yield to the control of this man who is their friend and teacher, who's just been sound asleep in the middle of a storm! I've been reflecting a lot on the thought that Jesus invites me to take him as he is, while he takes me in the same way with all my weaknesses. And very comforting is the reflection that Jesus can calm even the most turbulent areas of life, the parts which seem so difficult. He will help me through the storm that is separating myself even more from my family and friends. I think of Mary also, and how she coped with Jesus leaving Nazareth and ultimately going to his death. I pray she and St Joseph will be with my family. 

Spem in alium

Dear friends, I have just been informed that I will formally be accepted for the next stage of my formation on the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, Feb 11. God's grace is overflowing in my life. Please pray for my sisters, my family and for me.

6 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Dear friends, I have just been informed that I will formally be accepted for the next stage of my formation on the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, Feb 11. God's grace is overflowing in my life. Please pray for my sisters, my family and for me.

That's amazing ! I'll be in Lourdes the 11th and the 18th of february, and be sure I'll pray for you !