An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Thank you so much! 

Pope Francis speaks about the "face of mercy". God is so merciful and so good to me. Today He showed me His face. 

Spem in alium
8 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

What a good news ! We'll pray for you at the feast of St Joseph ! Thank you for sharing your life with us. 

Thank you so much. I deeply appreciate your prayers! I have told family and close friends, and ensured to make it clear that the ceremony would be private and only for sisters. I think my parents are struggling with the fact they can't be there...but I told them I would update them and send any photos.

Indwelling Trinity
On Wed Sep 30 2015 03:52:28 GMT-0700, Spem in alium said:

Thank you! So far it has been an incredible and at times unbelievable journey. I've been so richly blessed. 

As far as I know, I don't need to apply again, but just need to add some documents to my file, and the transition will really focus on evaluations given of me by the Sisters I live with in community (they won't themselves be the determining factor of whether I'm accepted or not, but will just be useful tools for my director and superior to use if there are any issues needing addressing). I'm a little apprehensive about that, but trusting in God it will go well (I don't really see a reason why it won't, but you never know). I really feel like I belong here, which is profoundly meaningful for me.

laughing. ..when I entered Carmel, i was given a small  ceremonial shovel and metal  rake and was the formally given the title  mistress of cleaning dog proper scooper.  Reverend mother made sure whole community [openly acknowledge my exalted state  of poop scooper and should there be a problem bring to me to resolve!. Truly and not in  jest, they were Grace filled days :)

Spem in alium
28 minutes ago, Indwelling Trinity said:

laughing. ..when I entered Carmel, i was given a small  ceremonial shovel and metal  rake and was the formally given the title  mistress of cleaning dog proper scooper.  Reverend mother made sure whole community [openly acknowledge my exalted state  of poop scooper and should there be a problem bring to me to resolve!. Truly and not in  jest, they were Grace filled days :)

Haha that's excellent. At the moment, my charges are the bins and bathrooms. Maybe I'll be upgraded and receive a ceremonial bin liner and toilet cleaner at my entrance? ;) 

Spem in alium

What a grace-filled week. I began the week wanting to identify in myself areas I need to work on and areas I struggle with, and God has led me to those - such great mercy.

I am still trying to take in the fact I've been accepted. It has great meaning for me as someone who has frequently been rejected. I'm almost in a sense of disbelief.

This evening I spent over an hour with someone I have struggled to become closer to for several reasons. She shared with me her life story, which was completely unexpected and which really helped me to understand her better as a person. She inspired me greatly and I thank God for that.

As I am not at all familiar with your community's formation may I ask what some of the changes will be for you?  Will  you move to a different location, be given more duties, more studies or....?  Congrats on moving to the next phase though!

Spem in alium
10 hours ago, vee said:

As I am not at all familiar with your community's formation may I ask what some of the changes will be for you?  Will  you move to a different location, be given more duties, more studies or....?  Congrats on moving to the next phase though!

Thank you!

We're trying out several things, which I guess we can do as I'm the only candidate and they haven't had one in many years, so have little to go on ;) 

For the moment I'll be staying where I am, but my formator would like me to have the experience of living with other communities and with a different dynamic. I'll have a period of about two months this year where I'll be living in another house, which I am looking forward to experiencing.

My duties will change as my formator and superior both want me to be involved in different ministries. I will be taking on some pastoral care work in our aged care, and I've also recently started CCD teaching at my local primary school and singing with the parish choir. I am currently studying so there's not a lot more I can take on in terms of that, but last year I did some short theological courses and we're hoping I can do more. I'm also beginning studying Polish (an official language of our congregation) and trying to look for a paid job that will fit within the hours I can work (I am on a scholarship from my university, and they give me very few hours I can work).

Big changes will also happen with the contact I have with my family. I call them once a week, which I used to do anyway, but this year I won't be able to go and visit them - they need to come to the convent. I think for the most part they've accepted that pretty well -- thanks be to God.

Spem in alium

Today I took a somewhat risky step and put the final payment on my educational debt. For the last couple of years I'd steadily been making voluntary payments towards it (it wasn't a super huge debt, but did take time) and the government has a scheme where they would contribute a certain percentage of any voluntary repayment.

My superior and formator have been a big support in helping me pay it off.  As I'm sure many of you would know, debt is an impediment when it comes to entering the novitiate, so it's such a relief to have paid my debt -- as now I can really focus on saving up. It's truly like a burden has been lifted, and I'm sure it will be even better when the payment is processed and I see that the amount I have owing is $0.00.

Spem in alium
2 hours ago, vee said:

Youre having a good week!  Congrats on getting your debt paid off too!

Thank you so much! Great week, for sure. Now I'm saving to pay for the medical insurance I'll have as a (hopeful) novice!

Spem,  It's been a joy to follow you on your journey!  It appears that most of the "puzzle pieces" are coming together and you can move forward debt free.  It's difficult for anyone to pay off educational debt. Congratulations on your next steps with your community.