An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Not Taking Devil Seriously, Exorcist Warns

Bruce S

[quote]Church Not Taking Devil Seriously, Exorcist Warns

Saturday, June 12, 2004 12:00:00 AM GMT

The chief exorcist of Rome has warned that the Church is not sufficiently conscious of the devil.

"The devil is extremely satisfied, because he is at liberty to do his work," said Father Gabriel Amorth.

Speaking to the Italian daily L'Espresso, Father Amorth took note of an alarming rise in Satanic practices throughout Italy, and offered some sharp criticism of Church leaders for failing to warn against the devil's influence.

"The Church has gone from one excess to another," he said. "To compensate for the madness of witch-hunting-- in which people were burned when they should have been exorcised-- we have completely eliminated the devil and exorcism." He noted with regret that "entire Catholic regions do not have a single exorcist," naming Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. In Italy, on the other hand, there are 160 priests formally charged to act as exorcists, he reported.

Father Amorth, who has become the world's most famous exorcist by writing about the practice and the devil's influence, spoke to L'Espresso about a scandal that has emerged in Italy recently, with the discovery of the bodies of two adolescents who were apparently tortured and killed some time ago. The two young people were both members of a Satanic group, the "Beasts of Satan;" they had been reported missing in January 1998.

Father Amorth, who has been the official exorcist of the Rome diocese since 1986 and is now 80, reminded L'Espresso that, as he has reported in the past, Pope John Paul II (bio - news) has personally performed at least three exorcisms during his pontificate, of which two were completely successful.

(The Pope, like any bishop, has the power to perform exorcisms. He has used that power, in a fashion known to the public, at least three times: in 1978, at the request of a Roman exorcist at St. John Lateran basilica; in 1982, for a woman brought to him by the Bishop of Spoleto, Italy; and in 2002, after a teenage girl exploded in a furious display of unnatural rage during a public audience.)

However he charged that despite the Pope's clear belief in the reality of demonic possession, the Roman Curia have been slow to respond to that reality. "It's been a long time since anyone studied these subjects in the seminary: angels, devils, exorcisms, or even sins against the First Commandment." These sins, he said, would include the use of "magic, spiritualism, and Satanism." In 1999, the Vatican released a new approved ritual for exorcism, De Exorcismis et Supplicationibus Quibusdam. Father Amorth said that the revised ritual is "a disaster for us exorcists." The new ritual, he continued, prevents the priest from proceeding with an exorcism "unless he is certain about the condition of a diabolical possession, which is something that you can only ascertain in the process" of an exorcism. He explained that once an exorcism is begun, the devil often manifests his presence by a "visceral and extremely violent aversion to all that is sacred." That reaction can be shown, he added, through "talking in unknown languages, the explosion of a superhuman force, levitation, revealed during the exorcisms." Fortunately, he said, the old ritual of exorcism remains valid, and can be used rather than the more limited new form.

Father Amorth cautioned that diabolical possession is by no means the only evidence of the devil's existence. "Satan is always at work, in an ordinary way, doing all he can to make man sin," he said. But he added that there are some special cases in which the devil uses his power in a special way, known as possession.

Demonic possession is actually quite rare, the Italian priest said. In most cases, an individual who is brought to consult with an exorcist suffers from psychological rather than spiritual difficulties. However, he noted that some people appear to become possessed after entering a Satanic cult.

Father Amorth noted that only individuals who regret their involvement with Satanic cults ever consult an exorcist. Thus there is no way to know how many active members of the cults might also be possessed. The exorcist offered a chilling reminder: "While it is easy to enter into these Satanic cults, it is extremely difficult to get out." He warned that those who enter the cults are quite literally risking their lives.

There are two types of Satanism, Father Amorth said. In the "high" cult, members adore the devil, perform Black Masses, and follow a hierarchy of cultic leaders. The "low" form of Satanism might appeal to people who do not believe in the existence of a devil, but can be persuaded to engage in obscene and unnatural acts. Father Amorth argues that this second form is more dangerous, because it is far more widespread; he said that the "low" cult has penetrated into the drug culture, heavy-metal music, the "gothic" cult, and the internet.

This article courtesy of Catholic World News. To subscribe or for further information, contact subs@cwnews.com or visit www.cwnews.com[/quote]

Guest JeffCR07

I definately agree with Father Amorth, too many people are putting their heads in the sand and pretending that the devil isn't real, or, if he is real, that he just sits in hell waiting for us to come to him.

Also, I like how even he, the chief excorsist, says that the vast majority of it is psychological, and that the need for a real excorsism is rare. Miracles are rare, and many people try to pass them off as science, but there are some that cannot be explained. In that light, it really isn't so hard to imagine demonic possession being real either.

Also, just me being dumb, lol, it super awesome that the Holy Father has done some! lol

- Your Brother in Christ, Jeff

"The smoke of Satan has entered the Sanctuary"
Pope Paul IV - 1963

"The cultic acts of Satanic pedophilia in the Catholic Church are considered by professionals to be the culmination of the rites of 'The Enthronement of the Fallen Archangel Lucifer' in the Vatican"
Fr. Malachi Martin - 1990

cmotherofpirl

Satan has always been hanging around the Church since Judas.

And of course you quote an EX-priest - lol.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Bruce S' date='Jun 16 2004, 10:21 AM'] "The smoke of Satan has entered the Sanctuary"
Pope Paul IV - 1963

"The cultic acts of Satanic pedophilia in the Catholic Church are considered by professionals to be the culmination of the rites of 'The Enthronement of the Fallen Archangel Lucifer' in the Vatican"
Fr. Malachi Martin - 1990 [/quote]
Malachi Martin was kicked out of the Jesuits for various reasons.

If he was a good Father, then how would he ever come across 'satanic pedophilia'? He wouldn't, unless he was involved or he is making it up.

This guy writes anti-Catholic smear books now.

Malachi has issues and nothing he says can be trusted. Everything he says needs to be taken with a BIG grain of rock salt.

Something you might be interested in is [url="http://www.zenit.org"]http://www.zenit.org[/url] It's news straigt from the Vatican, so you can get it from the horses mouth.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Monk, another LIE, Malachai Martin was NEVER EVER "kicked out of the Jesuits"

Why are you so GROSSLY misinformed about what happens in the Catholic Church, or do you do this intentionally?

[quote]High Ranking Jesuit Confirms Malachi Martin’s Status as Life Long Priest
by William H. Kennedy - April 2004
In a stunning reversal of past policy Father Vincent O’Keefe SJ, former Vicar General of the Society of Jesus and a past President of Fordham University, affirmed that Malachi Martin was in fact granted a dispensation from all his vows in the Jesuit order except for chastity. This dispels decades of rumors that Father Martin was defrocked for having had an affair with the wife of a famous journalist. This was the false lie spread by past Jesuits to discredit Father Martin. Martin requested and received a special dispensation by Pope Paul VI to remain a Catholic priest and say Mass in private.

Ever since Father Martin’s scathing review of his former order The Jesuits: The Society of Jesus and the Betrayal of the Roman Catholic Church (1988) rumors were spread by members of this order claiming Martin was defrocked and expelled from the Church of Rome. Martin denied this charge until his death in 1999. Father Mitchell Pacwa – chief spokesman at the Catholic run EWTN would regularly hang up on callers who inquired about Martin on his live call in show.

Father O’Keefe was the Vicar General of the Society in 1965, at the time of Father Malachi Martin’s departure from Rome. Why Father O’Keefe decided to set the record straight on Malachi Martin is anyone’s guess.

The clarification appeared on the Malachi Martin yahoo e-group posted by a member who communicated with Fr. Tom Widner SJ, Secretary for Communication of the US Jesuit Conference, concerning Martin’s status. Father Widner questioned Father O’Keefe – now retired – and he recalled Martin’s receiving a special dispensation relieving him of all his vows except for chastity. The communication (see below) also promoted two other myths about Martin including the lie that Martin lived in an unchaste relationship. The message referred to an incorrect obituary of Martin which appeared in the New York Times. The lady in question was merely Martin’s landlady for whom he also acted as spiritual advisor. The communication also falsely reports that Martin requested release from his vow of chastity, another lie which was spread about the scholarly priest.

However, the fact that the Jesuits have confirmed that Martin was a valid priest his whole life and was not defrocked marks a radical change in Jesuit policy concerning Father Malachi Martin – they are now acknowledging his status as a life long priest.

Source:
I spoke with Fr. Vincent O'Keefe, former vicar general of the Society of Jesus who is now retired. According to Fr. O'Keefe, Malachi Martin was indeed dispensed from his vows of poverty and obedience but not the vow of chastity. At the time Martin requested such dispensation, the Vatican was not dispensing priests who so requested such dispensation from the vow of chastity or celibacy. Fr. O'Keefe pointed out that Martin never married. His obituary in the New York Times, however, points out that Martin lived with a female companion.

Fr. Widner

Tom Widner SJ
Secretary for Communications
U.S. Jesuit Conference
1616 P St. N.W., Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20036-1420
202-462-0400
Fax: 202-328-9212
[/quote]

Monk, do you have affiliations, or ties, to the Jesuits or the Opus Dei groups?

Edited by Bruce S

cmotherofpirl

The bottom line is that Mr Martin was certainly not a priest in good standing with the Church.

MartinLuther

Back to the original topic:

Do we even need specially trained exorcists? Belief and the name of Jesus are sufficient. Jesus himself said...

"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons" (Mark 16:17)

No kidding. Grin.

Wonder why?

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Malachi%20Martin/103-8821414-5625435"]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...8821414-5625435[/url]

Get and read them all, I have most of them, they are GEMS and loaded with material that will open your eyes, WIDE open, no, shock you, and they have withstood the test of time.

Malachai Martin, is MY personal, all time favorite Catholic writer, he is a prophet almost to me, in my mind, he is an icon of information, a beacon of truth, and a foreteller of the future.

Murdered too, by the way, as he was writing his FINAL expose on the corruption in the Catholic Church, yes, reread that, murdered.

And, to keep this thread pertinent, while serving in Rome for the Vatican, Malachai WAS one of the very FEW official church exorcists, so he can be counted on in that area, which ties it into this thread.

Edited by Bruce S

St. Catherine

[quote]Malachai Martin, is MY personal, all time favorite Catholic writer, he is a prophet almost to me, in my mind, he is an icon of information, a beacon of truth, and a foreteller of the future.[/quote]

Don't you mean your favorite anti-Catholic writer.

Mother, I have posted the information surrounding his death before, here on this site, I cannot find that link.

But the obituary of John Fitzgerald Kennedy said that Lee Harvey Oswald killed him.

Obits can be MOST misinformed, for example, almost no one was listed as dying from AIDS, were they?

And JP I, died in his sleep. Yeah right. Yallop is a good read too.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553248553/qid=1087394801/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-8821414-5625435"]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/055...8821414-5625435[/url]

I stand behind my statement. Malachai is a Saint to me.

Bruce,

Did I lie or was I misinformed, funny how you contradict yourself.

Do you think people can tell that you study the life of Christ?

God Bless,
ironmonk

Frankly Monk, I don't CARE what "people think" about MY Christian walk.

I don't see where POPULARITY with everyone was a virtue that Christ taught.

He Himself, got Himself nailed to a cross for HIS efforts.

And 10 of the 12 Apostles got themselves killed for speaking out too.

You go, play "Mr. Popularity" I'm not into that game.

[quote name='Bruce S' date='Jun 16 2004, 11:19 AM'] Frankly Monk, I don't CARE what "people think" about MY Christian walk.

I don't see where POPULARITY with everyone was a virtue that Christ taught.

He Himself, got Himself nailed to a cross for HIS efforts.

And 10 of the 12 Apostles got themselves killed for speaking out too.

You go, play "Mr. Popularity" I'm not into that game. [/quote]
I didn't ask about popularity.

I asked if you thought people could tell if you studied the life of Christ.

If people could tell that you studied the life of Christ, that would mean that you are living you life in Christ and following in His way.

[b]1 Corin. 31 [/b]So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
[b]32 [/b]Avoid giving offense, whether to Jews or Greeks or the church of God,
[b]33 [/b]just as I try to please everyone in every way, not seeking my own benefit but that of the many, that they may be saved.

How do you glorify God with insults and rudeness?

May You Find Christ,
ironmonk