An Old School Catholic Message Board

The long wait

vee

3 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

No, her name will be Sr. Theresa Therese Theresa Theresa Elizabeth John OCD

Luckily they already have a Sr Therese so I wont be getting that name!

1 minute ago, Lil'Monster said:

Too bad, so bad. I think Sister Bertrille is a good name.

Then you go enter somewheres and take it!  :P

I really dont know what Id want for a name.  I havent asked but Im guessing a new name would be at clothing not entrance so Id still have lots of time, if I got to that point.  I do have a couple of ideas for a title though.  When I was born my parents named me and I had no choice in it so I could be so bold as to let the community pick.  It could be a good act of poverty and detachment too since Id be renouncing everything, even myself.

2 hours ago, vee said:

Then you go enter somewheres and take it!  :P

No thanks, I am going to get married to an amesome Catholic man and we're going to have a dozen children!

And with the name "Sister Bertrille" you might end up flying....

18 hours ago, marigold said:

Wow... Yeah I wouldn't wish that kind of situation on anyone. My extended family is just like you've described. My immediate family have been worn down by years of gradual acclimatisation, so they don't react very strongly and even like hearing about the sisters now, and are looking forward to meeting them. But with other relatives, sad to say, I don't really have a relationship with some of them anymore. Maybe I'm to blame partly or completely, I don't know... There were things I could have handled better, but fact is, a lot of people just didn't know what to do with that information, so they avoided it, and consequently me too. I don't know if your family is the same type of crazy as mine, but that was a reality I just had to accept over the course of time. It's a good incentive to pray more for everyone, once you get over the shock! And I have to say, having my folks basically on board more than makes up for it, in the long run.

(But my dad will still ask me sometimes what we DO, emphatically like that, like prayer services are good and all but what do you DO, surely there must be something else!)

So good luck! If you can do the hard bit and then run away so ds can clean up the initial blast, that might work ;)

I wish i could make ds do all the hard work, including cleaning my apartment :P but unfortunately she doesnt live that close by! :(  Im sorry about your family situation as well, and I hope that at least by what we have shared others may see that someone doesnt have to have a perfect family to consider or even attempt religious life.  It wont be easy but its still possible.  Im praying and hoping that their reactions might not be that bad and I might be pleasantly surprised.  Maybe I will be shocked and they will actually be supportive and understanding!

Im considering telling them all via a group text message since we have a big convo going anyway and that way I can tell everyone the same thing at the same time.

On 12/4/2015, 9:41:07, vee said:

I wish i could make ds do all the hard work, including cleaning my apartment :P but unfortunately she doesnt live that close by! :(  Im sorry about your family situation as well, and I hope that at least by what we have shared others may see that someone doesnt have to have a perfect family to consider or even attempt religious life.  It wont be easy but its still possible.  Im praying and hoping that their reactions might not be that bad and I might be pleasantly surprised.  Maybe I will be shocked and they will actually be supportive and understanding!

Im considering telling them all via a group text message since we have a big convo going anyway and that way I can tell everyone the same thing at the same time.

Oh Vee I am right there with you. I'm really dreading telling my family. I'm hoping to enter this coming yet but I haven't told my family at all yet. Given how they have reacted in the past it is not going to be pretty. Then again I may be surprised as it has been a long time since the topic was brought up.

It's your life Vee! Your family doesn't have to like your choice on what you want to do with it. Sure it would be great to have their support, however..if God is calling you...then so be it! My own mother thought I was going through a midlife crises when I told her about what I wanted to do. She can think what she wants...I wasn't going to waste my time in trying to convince her she was wrong etc. I just left it alone and went about my business! If you are over 18, then you are a adult. Your parents can protest or whatever.. But you are in charge of doing what is best for Vee! The way I look at it.. There are way more things that are negative one's child could choose to do.. Going to a convent/monastery would be a blessing!!;)

Well I didnt tell them everything but mentioned the idea that I might be moving this coming year.  I said its just something Im considering and nothing is set in stone.  They also think it is work related for now, so its a start.  The responses were supportive, which is nice, with even an offer to help move and mentions that they would be happy to visit me in that area.  Now, if things progress at least they wont be completely shocked and think Im just up and leaving town.  Their reactions to where it actually is and waht Id actually be doing will be amusing.  I know theyve never encountered such a place nor the nunly inhabitants so we shall see.

btw I was stone cold sober and actually on my break at work when I told them that stuff. 

49 minutes ago, vee said:

Well I didnt tell them everything but mentioned the idea that I might be moving this coming year.  I said its just something Im considering and nothing is set in stone.  They also think it is work related for now, so its a start.  The responses were supportive, which is nice, with even an offer to help move and mentions that they would be happy to visit me in that area.  Now, if things progress at least they wont be completely shocked and think Im just up and leaving town.  Their reactions to where it actually is and waht Id actually be doing will be amusing.  I know theyve never encountered such a place nor the nunly inhabitants so we shall see.

btw I was stone cold sober and actually on my break at work when I told them that stuff. 

Well done you! First hurdle accomplished!

it seems like one of many hurdles actually :)  And as it goes to show every journey is unique I already have a general idea of the postulant list as well.  Pretty basic stuff really, most of which I already have or can be bought easily.  The most unusual/expensive thing would be the mens's dress shirts which I already bought after seeing a great deal on Land's End.  If I go then I have them, if I dont then they were such a good deal I didnt waste much money.  I dont have to buy a breviary as they have one I can use, otherwise the list is basically socks, shoes, undies, and such.  Oh and I can bring religous but no secular books :bible:

I heard that it's a good idea to bring thermal/long underwear for the winter (if it gets really cold, I have no idea where you're considering, except that it is in Canada :P)