An Old School Catholic Message Board

The long wait

vee

Oh gosh I cant imagine ever telling my bosses!  When I took time off of work before to visit the community I just told people I was going to such and such place to visit friends :P  You seem to have a good boss so what a blessing!  And possibly entering this fall! yay!!!!!

veritasluxmea
56 minutes ago, vee said:

When I took time off of work before to visit the community I just told people I was going to such and such place to visit friends 

I think the best way to tell people is when it comes up naturally, be honest. 

"What are you doing this weekend?" This is a little unusual, but I'm visiting a convent of nuns actually! I'm really looking forward to it

"What are you doing after you graduate?" I'm currently in the application process with a group of nuns, so I'd like to join once I graduate

"How was your time off last week?" Great, I spent it with a group of nuns I really like! 

and so on. If you're this far in the application- have papers, preparing for a psych exam, and all that- there should be plenty of opportunities to be honest, with doctors and dentists and so on. I don't like publicizing it either but in those occasions I just bit the bullet in the spur of the moment and told them. I don't think there's a need to publicize anything (like announcing it on social media) until you've actually been accepted and feel ready- nothing's for certain. 

On 1/14/2016, 10:18:41, vee said:

Oh gosh I cant imagine ever telling my bosses!  When I took time off of work before to visit the community I just told people I was going to such and such place to visit friends :P  You seem to have a good boss so what a blessing!  And possibly entering this fall! yay!!!!!

My boss is pretty amesome. If he wasn't Catholic I probably would not have told him. We also partner with religious communities so he has a pretty good understanding of religious life so that helps. I'm really excited for my trip in March!

Spem in alium

I had to tell my boss because I moved away from home and would not be able to keep working for him. He has called me a couple of times offering me work but also checking how I'm going, which has been nice. I have no idea if he's Catholic, or even if he has any religious belief, but he was quite supportive and encouraging.

I really do think the best way of telling people is as veritasluxmea said, naturally and honestly. Most of the times I've told people have been because they've asked what I'm doing after I graduate uni. I've actually entered before I will graduate, but I use that as an opportunity to tell them. With some people, like family and close friends, I specifically made an effort to tell them, preferably in person. Most of them were considerate. I did have some difficulty talking with doctors and dentists, though. One of my dentists was very good to talk to, but a doctor I saw recently didn't want to know. I had to get a form filled out, and she was being quite critical of how it was written and was very reluctant to give me referrals for some of the tests I needed done. I did announce my entrance on social media, mainly because I was just so joyful and I knew there were people I couldn't contact easily who would want to know. 

6 hours ago, TheresaThoma said:

My boss is pretty amesome. If he wasn't Catholic I probably would not have told him. We also partner with religious communities so he has a pretty good understanding of religious life so that helps. I'm really excited for my trip in March!

Prayers for a blessed visit in March!  I havent seen the Community im interested in in about a year and a half.  Id show up to enter and theyd be like "who are you????"

2 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

I had to tell my boss because I moved away from home and would not be able to keep working for him. He has called me a couple of times offering me work but also checking how I'm going, which has been nice. I have no idea if he's Catholic, or even if he has any religious belief, but he was quite supportive and encouraging.

I really do think the best way of telling people is as veritasluxmea said, naturally and honestly. Most of the times I've told people have been because they've asked what I'm doing after I graduate uni. I've actually entered before I will graduate, but I use that as an opportunity to tell them. With some people, like family and close friends, I specifically made an effort to tell them, preferably in person. Most of them were considerate. I did have some difficulty talking with doctors and dentists, though. One of my dentists was very good to talk to, but a doctor I saw recently didn't want to know. I had to get a form filled out, and she was being quite critical of how it was written and was very reluctant to give me referrals for some of the tests I needed done. I did announce my entrance on social media, mainly because I was just so joyful and I knew there were people I couldn't contact easily who would want to know. 

What a blessing to at least have someone be supportive and encouraging.  Thats terrible that that doctor would hesitate to give referrals.  I can understand being critical of how the form was written though, to some extent, as the one I had to have done sounds like it was written in the 50s.... the 1850s! :P Some of the terminology was even completely obsolete especially some of the mental health terminology.  So we both commented that it sounded outdated but to go on and on about it would have been very unprofessional of her.  Sorry you had that experience.  

Spem in alium
19 hours ago, vee said:

What a blessing to at least have someone be supportive and encouraging.  Thats terrible that that doctor would hesitate to give referrals.  I can understand being critical of how the form was written though, to some extent, as the one I had to have done sounds like it was written in the 50s.... the 1850s! :P Some of the terminology was even completely obsolete especially some of the mental health terminology.  So we both commented that it sounded outdated but to go on and on about it would have been very unprofessional of her.  Sorry you had that experience.  

It was a blessing! I was initially unsure as to how I would tell him, mainly because others I had told had a more negative response and I wasn't sure how he would react. I just called him and told him upfront that this was what was happening, and he was surprised but very interested and considerate. 

Yes, she was saying, "I really don't know if you need these", etc. It was for a blood test, HIV test and chest scan, and she was saying that because the rest of my exam was pretty normal there wouldn't likely be a problem, so I wouldn't need them. I asked her to write them for me just in case and then contacted my formation director to check, who said YES, they need to be done -- not just to see if there's a problem, but so that Sisters have a baseline of health for me. The form isn't written too badly (some aspects were a bit outdated, yes), but mainly she was just remarking on how there wasn't enough space to write my abnormalities :P 

All I'm hoping for now is that she'll actually give me my results. They don't always contact you and pass them on if everything is clear, and, well...I need them!

Edited by Spem in alium

• 2 weeks later...

Spem, i hope all is going well for you and prayers for you as you go from one family to the other.

Nothing much going on for me aside from a little mystery that I ponder once in a while when Im not too busy at work or life.  I usually keep in touch with the community via the occasional email, or the even rarer phone call.  By rare phone call I mean I think the last time we spoke was this past summer!  In her most recent email to me, from about a week ago, the superior randomly put in there the following "I may give you a call soon."  :detective:  It was between two topics that shouldnt be any cause for a call whatsoever, but at the end she did mention they got the medical papers back so maybe its about that?   Who knows!  Im not worried just intrigued, and amused at her unspoken definition of "soon" meaning probably in the next month :P 

So the superior called me yesterday :)   Its always nice to talk to her like it is to talk to anyone who spends a lot of time with God because He makes them different.  His work is more noticeable in people who are trying to be open to Him and do His will as opposed to those who try to avoid God, avoid the sacraments etc. 

It is also very humbling when they ask me to pray for them!  I do pray for them everyday though and encourage anyone who is discerning to pray for any community youre interested in. 

3 hours ago, vee said:

So the superior called me yesterday :)   Its always nice to talk to her like it is to talk to anyone who spends a lot of time with God because He makes them different.  His work is more noticeable in people who are trying to be open to Him and do His will as opposed to those who try to avoid God, avoid the sacraments etc. 

It is also very humbling when they ask me to pray for them!  I do pray for them everyday though and encourage anyone who is discerning to pray for any community youre interested in. 

So Rev. Mother didn't break the news that you were crazy?

3 hours ago, truthfinder said:

So Rev. Mother didn't break the news that you were crazy?

:lol4:

not yet!

I did receive word, that I passed on to her, that it will about 6-8 weeks more for the stuff Im waiting on to be completed, then she can tell me Im crazy! :hehe: 

1 hour ago, vee said:

not yet!

I did receive word, that I passed on to her, that it will about 6-8 weeks more for the stuff Im waiting on to be completed, then she can tell me Im crazy! :hehe: 

:) Prayers that it all goes well

2 hours ago, vee said:

not yet!

Of course, we in the Pham, not being constrained by forms and documents, don't have to wait -

YOU'RE CRAZY!!!!!

Well the psych evaluation is tricky because you have to be JUST CRAZY ENOUGH but not too crazy.  There's a narrow band of acceptable crazy.

veritasluxmea
7 hours ago, krissylou said:

Well the psych evaluation is tricky because you have to be JUST CRAZY ENOUGH but not too crazy.  There's a narrow band of acceptable crazy.

:hehe2: that makes me feel better about taking one!