An Old School Catholic Message Board

The long wait

vee

Spem in alium

At one stage I was thinking of an enclosed order (hadn't contacted them or anything, but was interested in them) and told my parents. Up till then I had been very open with them and wanting to involve them in my discernment, and I sensed they wanted to know how things were going too. Anyway, they kind of flipped (especially my dad) when I started talking about enclosed orders. I've continued to discern and am now in an active order, but I think, as josephine says, parents tend to come round even if they are initially struggling or against it. I am still having difficulties with my mother, who is very supportive of me but is struggling to deal with me living in the convent and not having as much contact with her, but I sense it will get better with time. I was open with my sisters about how my mum was feeling and they have been really helpful. When I went for my home visit over January, my superior told my mother she could call her anytime just to chat. I know my mum really appreciated that. So I think it's a team effort (between you and your sisters) to help parents feel okay. In the end, all they really desire is your happiness, and if you show them you're happy it would likely help a lot.

Edited by Spem in alium

I talked to the prioress today and she said

I should probably

tell them sooner than later...

UUUUGGGGHHHHHHH

I know Im a big girl and I have to deal with this but there are about nine, to start with, very opinionated and difficult people to tell  and I dont really like drama.... UUUUGGGHHHH!  I know what to say and how to say it, its jsut getting up the nerve to say it...

I concur with the Prioress.

sooner... Gives time for drama to settle, for folks to absorb and accept what is happening.

dominicansoul

I think it's exciting Vee...and a lot of the struggles that come in religious life may be scary and down right nerve wracking and even heartbreaking, but I always found a little thrill going through all the ups and downs.  I don't' know how to describe it, I can only say it was GOD.  It's like being in love and no matter what happens, you know that that Love remains regardless...and it gives you the strength to do what is asked of you no matter how tough it is...

I'm praying for you and your family chica...

Ive decided to do a novena and tell the folks when its done.  I need the graces for them and for me from the prayers, and it acts as a countdown too.  Ive never been bungee jumping but from what Ive seen on tv they get a countdown before they jump and in this case I need taht too to psych myself up. 

Today, day three of the novena, I told them. So far only two have responded but have actually been supportive and one said they even kind of guessed.  A bunch more reactions to come though...

Its been a week and the reactions were much more calm and not at all what I thought could happen.  There was even support and encouragement from people I didnt expect to react that way.   If and when I finally get to the point of an entrance date I will then tell the extended family.  Actually I just need to tell one or two aunts in particular and my myriad of aunts uncles and cousins will find out sooner or later :P   Worst of all I Im going to have to eventually tell some of my fellow parishioners Im friends with... 

Spem in alium
13 hours ago, vee said:

Its been a week and the reactions were much more calm and not at all what I thought could happen.  There was even support and encouragement from people I didnt expect to react that way.   If and when I finally get to the point of an entrance date I will then tell the extended family.  Actually I just need to tell one or two aunts in particular and my myriad of aunts uncles and cousins will find out sooner or later :P   Worst of all I Im going to have to eventually tell some of my fellow parishioners Im friends with... 

That's wonderful! Prayers for you and for your family and friends. :) 

Thanks for the prayers Im sure they are helping! 

Hanging out today with my brother who even offered to drive me there I had visions of my arrival.  I saw myself pulling up there the same way we go anywhere with music blasting, bass pounding, windows shaking and when we park we sit there and dance for a minute!  It'll be amesome!