An Old School Catholic Message Board

The long wait

vee

Ive now told a small group of parish friends but now that they know I think word could spread, and its ok if it does!  Its hard for me to have the time and opportunity to tell all the parishioners I know, and who have known me almost my whole life, so they are free to do so!  The main great benefit is getting their prayers as I know both I and the community could always use that prayerful support.  Who couldnt right.  Its really reassuring though to know my parish family has my back! 

Like you, Spem, I dont want or am even planning any kind of big gathering or party.  I dont know what might happen in these last couple of weeks though!

It feels good to get stuff done but why is dealing with banks, landlords, and cell phone companies etc so tiring! 

Its not really a proper gong to the convent thread unles there is some discussion of shopping I suppose, so I bought these sandals. 

images.ashx?t=product&i=510230_slate_bla

They are waterproof so I can really give them a beating and they should last a long time.  I know I will be working a lot inside and outside so I wanted something that could do both.  They arent the hemp alpargatas of St Teresa but I think she would appreciate their hybrid practicality.  Its not the bare feet of the Franciscans and MCs either which I really like but such is not my call.  

16 minutes ago, DominicanHeart said:

http://epicpew.com/well-know-carmelite-order/ okay Vee, something to do while you're waiting 

Now what do I do with he rest of my time? :P 

w Well Do You Know the Carmelites?I got 8 of 8 right

Call the monastery or convent...you're ready for final vows!
You're an expert in all things Carmelite.  If you want to deepen your knowledge about this order a little more, you can check out this video, where you can see what a day in the life of carmelite looks like! 

DominicanHeart
46 minutes ago, vee said:

Now what do I do with he rest of my time? :P 

w Well Do You Know the Carmelites?I got 8 of 8 right

Call the monastery or convent...you're ready for final vows!
You're an expert in all things Carmelite.  If you want to deepen your knowledge about this order a little more, you can check out this video, where you can see what a day in the life of carmelite looks like! 

Yes call them and tell them you can go right to final profession!

3 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

Yes call them and tell them you can go right to final profession!

Oh yes!  Their reaction will probably be to make me spend a long time scrubbing the toilets!

Ive kept old emails from over ten years ago and am deleting them now.  Some are between my mom and I from when I was far from God.  It is really painful to read how stupid I was and what I put her through!  One email she sent starts with her saying that she is writing that email because Ive been hanging up on her every time she tried to call.  Wheres the broken heart emote because what I wouldnt give to be able to call her and talk to her now :(   Back then I was such a brat I turned my back on her, caused her so much pain and grief and wasted precious time :(  She ends an email saying that she is praying and fasting for me and at the time I read it years ago I probably didnt even care.  I  really hope she gets a good spot by Mary up in heaven to watch me walk in the convent door in a couple of weeks to really see her prayers answered!  By the grace of God may I live my life, in the convent or out, in such a way that it would always be pleasing to God and thus to my mom.

Everything must go but its hard to throw it all out at once.  Today Ive gone through a lot of the difficult sentimental stuff like some things belonging to my mom that no one else would want.  Anyone else ever have to do this I suggest turning up the music, having a beer or two and start throwing stuff at the garbage!  Its like cleaning up someone's house after they die but in this case its my own stuff. 

I heard a long time ago that "You can't move forward until you've reviewed your past." For instance, at a high school graduation, one of the speakers will always talk about this class - the plays they were in, the accomplishments of their teams, highlights, etc. - as well as about their future. The idea being that you kind of have to recap who you've been before you can go on to be someone else.

It seems that your housekeeping project is a good way for you to review your past before you go forward. So take your time - and an adequate number of beers - and do it thoroughly.

Thanks Luigi! :cheers:

Well I have a couple of things related to my mom's estate account that I was really hoping to finish up before I enter but  alas that will not be the case.  Try as I might to have everything done I will still need one more appointment and trip to the bank after I enter.  No big deal except it will probably be my first time out in the postulant outfit and not my civilian clothes.  In other words the start of people looking at me differently, like Im holy or something.  :lol4: I laugh but suddenly Ill represent something much bigger and beyond me, and probably the first Catholic religious looking person that the person at the bank I will be dealing with has ever met.  

truthfinder
1 hour ago, vee said:

Thanks Luigi! :cheers:

Well I have a couple of things related to my mom's estate account that I was really hoping to finish up before I enter but  alas that will not be the case.  Try as I might to have everything done I will still need one more appointment and trip to the bank after I enter.  No big deal except it will probably be my first time out in the postulant outfit and not my civilian clothes.  In other words the start of people looking at me differently, like Im holy or something.  :lol4: I laugh but suddenly Ill represent something much bigger and beyond me, and probably the first Catholic religious looking person that the person at the bank I will be dealing with has ever met.  

Ah! so you do have a postulant outfit!?!

Hi Vee,

Ummm, I don't want to rain on your parade at all by any stretch of the imagination and don't hate me, but you seem to be throwing a lot of memorabilia away.  When you said:

On June 29, 2016 at 1:56 AM, vee said:

By the grace of God may I live my life, in the convent or out,

It was 'in the covent or not' that got my attention.  When my parents passed, I was in charge of their estate.  I was in such an emotional state, I tossed things I wished I would have kept.  Of course I want you to be successful in your new life and I'm truly thrilled and excited for you but seemed you entered an element of doubt.  Wondering if you have anyone you can give some things to hold for you in case, well.........:twitch:

Yes, that seems a good idea.  If you can store memorabilia, and then, when you enter the noviciate, or take your vows, have it disposed of,  while it seems like hedging your bets a bit, you will have it if you do return to secular life, and giving it up or away at the decisive moment of full committment to the religious life, such as when professing one's vows, has a symbolic meaning as well.

Probably wise to store what one might need if one should happen to leave RL.  Up to final vows are the discernment journey by both the person and the community.

I don't know what applies everywhere of course, but sometimes a community will allow one to go outside of monastery or cloister in civilian clothing.