An Old School Catholic Message Board

The long wait

vee

the dsmme posted this on fb and Im just posting it here for my own reminder.  Its about Advent but has some key points I need to be reminded of anyway.  http://aleteia.org/2015/12/17/just-wait-because-waiting-makes-it-more-fun/

The author says he is having a mid Advent fit of grumpiness  and I too am having a similar thing.  I dont know if its Advent related, life related or what but it happens.  I get tired of waiting and need to remember points like this

But the waiting trains us to control the self and helps us make a little more room in our hearts for God and others. In the Church waiting usually means waiting to enjoy a blessing in its proper place, the place where it is most enjoyable because it belongs there.

The thing with waiting during Advent is that we know when it ends, we have an exact date.  I struggle sometimes with not having a known ending.  I do what I can but there are things beyond my control, things taht can mean hoping others do their jobs properly and not make mistakes, mess up, forget to file things, tell you things etc.  The example of work is why I think St Therese's little way of doing little things with great love is so needed yet so hard because a lot of people I see, especially at work, do very little, very lazily with no care at all, and those are the managers!  What happened to leading by example instead of do as I say not as I do!?!?! ugh! If I found that kind of attitude in a convent Id be out the door!

1 hour ago, vee said:

the dsmme posted this on fb and Im just posting it here for my own reminder.  Its about Advent but has some key points I need to be reminded of anyway.  http://aleteia.org/2015/12/17/just-wait-because-waiting-makes-it-more-fun/

The author says he is having a mid Advent fit of grumpiness  and I too am having a similar thing.  I dont know if its Advent related, life related or what but it happens.  I get tired of waiting and need to remember points like this

But the waiting trains us to control the self and helps us make a little more room in our hearts for God and others. In the Church waiting usually means waiting to enjoy a blessing in its proper place, the place where it is most enjoyable because it belongs there.

I couldn't agree more! It's something I'm  having to practice at the moment. Quite by coincidence this prayer came in yesterday's Jesuit blog "People For Others": 

Above all trust in the slow work of God

We are quite naturally impatient in everything,

To reach the end without delay.

We should like to skip the intermediate stages.

We are impatient of being on the way

To something unknown,

Something new . . .

Only God could say what this new spirit

Gradually forming within you will be.

Give Our Lord the benefit of believing

That his hand is leading you,

And accept the anxiety of feeling yourself

In suspense, and incomplete.

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J.

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎16‎:‎05‎:‎11, vee said:

With it having been a week and not having heard any word from the doc's office on the one set of test results and the completion of the form I just called there.  They finalized everything and sent the forms back to the Community yesterday!  They also sent me the bill for $85  <_<

Yay! But boo! But yay!

Mary Catherine

Now my SD also asked me to spend 5 months to pray and discern!

It's really hard to bear for I have waited for 3 years.

I do hope your testing result comes out good. :nun1:

2 hours ago, Mary Catherine said:

Use the time well, and it will be worth it!

14 hours ago, Mary Catherine said:

Prayers for you for that five months that it be fruitful and the Holy Spirit guide you.

My medical tests were fine.  If there had been any concerns the doctor would have contacted me for follow up.  I just say this lest anyone out there get the idea that the doctor may tell the community something behind my back which is not at all what the tests are for!   I dont know maybe that kind of thing happened in the past where, on the sly, the doctor reported something to the community but did not tell the patient.  Such a report then caused the community to turn around and say sorry no get lost.  If that happened Id find a new community and a new doctor!

Sometimes waiting has its lows but there are also things that I love every minute of, things that arent likely to happen if I was in da convent.  For example a little outdoor family hockey on Christmas.  Im so excited and ready for it!  I even got my skates sharpened today and stick taped up.  I am ready for the birth of Christ and a little family fun!

On 12/21/2015, 6:09:52, vee said:

Sometimes waiting has its lows but there are also things that I love every minute of, things that arent likely to happen if I was in da convent.  For example a little outdoor family hockey on Christmas.  Im so excited and ready for it!  I even got my skates sharpened today and stick taped up.  I am ready for the birth of Christ and a little family fun!

Crazy Canadian.....

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very nice Christmas so far, and a lot of fun skating outside with my family as well.

As we start 2016 I cant help but wonder what this year will hold!

I wonder things like will my waiting finally come to an end! :P

Edited by vee

• 2 weeks later...

I almost told, via email, a couple of family friends today.  Instead I erased that part where I told them I applied and sent the rest.  I havent been in touch with them for a while so I will wait for their reply and go from there.  Part of me thinks that I should tell my siblings first but the other part of me is really chicken and so by telling this couple it could possibly help me get over my fear, plus they are Catholic and would hopefully pray for me!  In the process it might not be so hard to tell my siblings then if Ive told other people. :idontknow:

At the same time my best friend warned me that people dont always react favorably when one tells them theyve applied to religious life.  Some people, Catholics even, may be suspicious at best or outright mean at worst.  Avoiding unhelpful drama in one reason why Ive kept things so private, at the same time Im telling everyone here! :P

I remember standing alone in the superior's office after I said Id take the application, she had gone into another room to get an envelope or something and it just hit me.  It hit me where I was standing and what I was asking for and all the people I would have to tell or who would end up knowing.  I realized that if one goes to the convent its not just for them by themselves, it affects A LOT of people and that person is then responsible spiritually for them too.  I felt rather overwhelmed until the novice mistress gave me a lecture worthy of any OP lol. 

Vee it is so hard with the timing. I had to tell my boss this past week that I am seriously discerning. He is Catholic and the company (which he founded is Catholic) so he understands religious life so that helped. I was not planning on telling him but I had to ask for days off to go visit the Sisters halfway across the country so obviously he wanted to know why. It was actually really good. I didn't tell him however that I am hoping to enter this fall. But at least it won't be a complete shock if I do.

*hugs*