An Old School Catholic Message Board

Different Dominicans

Julie

So, I've been looking at different communities, and both the Ann Arbor and Nashville Dominicans have both been stalking me ;)(I keep randomly finding their brochures and newsletters and ending up on their websites unintentionally). Both of them seem really beautiful.

But, they're different communities, so there must be SOME difference. I'm sure they at least have a different "feel". Are there any bigger differences? Does anyone who knows either community well want to give me the scoop? :nun:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

In general terms I think that Ann Arbor is more open to apostolates besides teaching. I would say that the differences are probably more a matter of emphasis on how the observances are lived, etc. It's similar to our monasteries and to the Provinces.

I think the best way is to visit each one on a retreat.  Pray in their chapels, talk to the Sisters about their vocation and charism and see what God says in your heart.  You could always throw a visit to cloistered OPs in there too because its always good to discern both.

dominicansoul

I was in both communities, but my opinion is just opinion...

I would go with what Vee said...

...and of course, what Sr. said, too!