An Old School Catholic Message Board

"For That Moment Become An Atheist"

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
On 12/3/2015, 9:35:06, xSilverPhinx said:

Not necessarily as morally superior (though yes, many of the New Atheists do view it to be that way). Motivations might be different: there's no afterlife reward to expect, nor brownie points to earn in return. Most atheists would do something good because of intrinsic motivation, and because it feels good to do good. 

will you continue to do what is good even when it doesn't feel good though. feeling good is a reward so what you have said is contradictory. No pun intended just saying, and call my contradictions out any time, i would like to eradicate them all.

On 12/3/2015, 11:11:20, KnightofChrist said:

A faithful Christian does not do good for a good or evil neighbor for some reward. A faithful Christian does good for neighbors out of love for the neighbor and of God. An athiest following what is written within his or her heart by God can also do good for a neighbor out of love for at least the neighbor.

but with out faith in the way, the truth and the life can you do good to an enemy?

On 12/3/2015, 2:39:26, KnightofChrist said:

As it was originally written it is in conflict with Catholicism. God does not create Athiests, he creates those who become Athiests. The article as originally written does not imply that the Athiest is following the law of God written in the heart. But rather the Athiest's inner belief. Lastly and perhaps most important we should never imagine there is no God to do good. We should do good for our love of neighbor and God.

Holy Scripture in the book of Romans disagrees in the 1st 4 chapters i think.

read it and find out

On 12/3/2015, 2:42:58, xSilverPhinx said:

LOL, wut? :huh: A bold statement, though you couldn't be more wrong. You may think you have some insight into an atheist's mindset when it comes to (any) religious claims but you actually really don't.

Of course I reject something I see no evidence for. If I claimed that there was an invisible dragon in my garage, would you accept it?  

Ever heard of misotheism? Misotheists and atheists are different creatures and I think you may be confusing the two on some level. Misotheists still believe in a god but hate and reject the concept whereas for atheists, it's just...a concept. There's nothing there other than a concept. How can you hate or rebel against something that doesn't exist for you? 

I don't see how someone rejecting all gods would be cowardly, though, care to elaborate? 

Why are you in a monotheistic website if something in you doesn't say there just may be a God? or Just being nice? Or sinister motives perhaps?

On 12/3/2015, 7:28:41, Josh said:

I'm friends with a lot of agnostic/atheist. Most of them genuinely don't believe in God. You speak pretty boldly when you use the word "every". It's not like it's 100 percent obvious God exist. On my worst day I'm agnostic at moments.

watch the video i posted to watch here Josh, it is called "athiests dont exist full documentary." I'm not saying the documentary is correct but it gives some pretty interesting points as to why an athiest actually does believe but is just in denial.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

6 hours ago, Credo in Deum said:

I hate to burst everyones bubble but Santa Claus aka Saint Nicholas Bishop of Myra was a real person.

12_6_nicholas.jpg  

Rejoice, both God and Santa Claus are both real and Santa is in Heaven enjoying the beatific vision as we speak! Woot woot. Christianity.  Fruitcakes for the haters. 

I already knew the Santa myth was inspired by a real person but does that mean he has flying reindeer and ate the milk and cookies I left for him as well? ;)   

5 hours ago, Tab'le De'Bah-Rye said:

will you continue to do what is good even when it doesn't feel good though. feeling good is a reward so what you have said is contradictory. No pun intended just saying, and call my contradictions out any time, i would like to eradicate them all.

See the next post I wrote after that:

"I'm not saying that an atheist might not also have a streak of selfishness when doing good. There is an element of selfishness both in doing something to feel good and doing something because you believe you'll be rewarded for it."  

Yes, feeling good after going something good is rewarding, I was talking about afterlife rewards specifically in this case. 

Why are you in a monotheistic website if something in you doesn't say there just may be a God? or Just being nice? Or sinister motives perhaps?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-diversity-makes-us-smarter/

Like I said earlier, I'm interested in different ways people think, which doesn't mean I think like them. 

"athiests dont exist full documentary." I'm not saying the documentary is correct but it gives some pretty interesting points as to why an athiest actually does believe but is just in denial.

I'll have to watch this when I have the time. It's probably just a load of croutons but it'll be an interesting insight into certain mindsets. 

Edited by xSilverPhinx
beaver dam quote boxes...