An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts from a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

“I Have Decided…”

According to my Monday afternoon tradition, I finished up planning our Bible study for our residents just a little bit ago.

One of my preparatory activities included getting song lyrics ready; I like to incorporate spiritual songs into the weekly lessons.

I know it’s outdated, but we received an overhead projector several months back.  Some of our residents have really found it helpful as I can display the citations and page numbers for the scripture readings they are to look up.

I’ve also discovered that song lyrics can be neatly projected there also, which works very well.  Our residents are even learning new songs. Our cop machine/printer has the capacity to print on transparencies, so I made a new one this afternoon with some songs I want to be able to use again and again.

One of these is: “I Have Decided to Follow Jesus.”  We have actually used it a couple of times in recent weeks, as the gospel readings have gone well with it.  I thought it would make it easier and encourage participation if I printing the lyrics for everyone to see plainly.

In preparing this article, I did a little research about this folk-song, making discoveries I never imagined.  I learned that the words were from an Indian (Asian) Christian as he was dying for his faith in the mid-1800s.  This knowledge certainly adds to the potency of the song which I learned back in high school when helping with religious ed.

~Read More~

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

“The Loftier Aspects of the Convent” at “Mother-Daughter Days”

IMG_0895.JPG

I just returned from two days at our provincial house in Hankinson, North Dakota, where I helped Sr. Jean Louise with our Mother-Daughter Days.  It was truly a mother-daughter experience for me as well since my own mother was also there helping.

Mothers and their daughters (from quite young to late teens) joined us for this lovely time which included prayer, games, talks, Mass, and more.  We honored St. Kateri, St. Therese, St. Bonaventure, and Our Lady of Mount Carmel in a special way these days.

One nice aspect of the inter-generational gathering, which seems to be included every year, is “story-time;” here some of our Sisters share how they came to answer the call to religious life.

We ended the days with a pilgrimage to the Cathedral in Fargo where we went through the Holy Door for this Jubilee Year of Mercy.  (Read More)

Good luck with the baking! We don't have central air either. It seems a rather penitentially warm summer so far. The ice cream cakes sound so tasty just reading about them!

sr.christinaosf

I'm just hoping and praying they turn out!  (a bit unsure since I did some improvising)

It is hot again today but I think that is better than more rain.  We've had a lot of that lately.

sr.christinaosf

A Powerful Lesson…A Call to Greater Love

These past few weeks have been a time of real grace for me.

I’ve been working one-on-one with one of our residents for sacramental preparation.

I didn’t want him to get ‘scared off’ by over-complicating things or requiring too much of him; nonetheless, I wanted to teach him what he needed to know in order to be open to receive all the graces waiting for him.

I also was conscious of trying to be kind to him and show him the authenticity of what I was teaching by the way I acted.

This second aspect has overflowed, in a powerful way, on my interactions with others.

Read more...

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

One morning, I noticed that the closure button on my left blouse sleeve was missing. Not wanting to return home to change, I borrowed a safety pin from the reception desk to close it. Yesterday afternoon, I thought I had better buckle down and sew a new button on. On taking out my sewing kit, I noticed another thing I hadn't gotten around to, that needed attending: a collection of stockings to repair. [Read more]

sr.christinaosf

Chuck, who works with me here at St. Anne’s, likes to give me a bad time, and this is well-reciprocated by the writer of this post.  Actually, maybe it goes the other way around; who knows who is the instigator!

In case you haven’t guessed “hense of sumor” is just a silly way of juggling the letters a bit in the common phrase “sense of humor.”

Today provided some opportunities to fulfill the prescription given in this post’s title.

Read more...

You've Got to Have a hense-of-sumor