An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts from a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/thank-you-for-coming-under-my-roof/

Thank You for Coming “Under my Roof.”

This morning, we heard the Gospel of the centurion (Roman soldier in charge of 100 men) who was commended for his faith.

He had approached Jesus, seeking healing for a sick servant.  When Jesus offered to come  and cure him, the centurion stopped Him, proclaiming his unworthiness and voicing his trust in the power of Jesus’ mere word.

It is from this encounter that we get the text we use before communion: “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

At Communion this morning, after hearing this Gospel, a spontaneous prayer came to my heart: “Lord, thank you for coming under my roof.”

Like the centurion, I am not worthy of the honor of His presence, His visit.  However, unlike him, I won’t discourage Jesus from coming.  I need His presence!

The words of the communion antiphon today were a consolation, reminding me that I have this grace (His presence): “I am with you always.”

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

New post on Our Franciscan Fiat

9be89699d35a6d07ab3c53eae8f7bb8d?s=32&d=
a5e3fd0c3fe215822f5d6677c9906225?s=50&d=

Christmas in July

by Our Franciscan Fiat

One recent morning, I put a red chalice veil on over the pall and finished a couple of other sacristy duties before grabbing breakfast and heading to the front desk.  It matched nicely with the lacy tabernacle veil some feet away.

I like it when things match.  Call me silly, but when the visiting priest walks out into the sanctuary with corresponding vestments, it "does my heart good."

But, alas, this was not to be the case on this occasion.  Father came out in green!

Oh, my...we had Christmas in July!  His green contrasted noticeably with the red!

This has happened before when my guess at the Mass of choice differed from the Mass that was actually chosen.  (When there are optional memorials for a day, I have to make an educated guess" as to what Mass to set up for, marking the missal and putting on altar cloths accordingly.)

It's only too bad that Sr. Elaine (organist that day) didn't play "Joy to the World" as a postlude or recessional.

I just hope that "every heart" in our congregation still lovingly "prepare Him room" every time we gather, despite distracting discrepancies.

• 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

We're celebrating "St. Anne's Week," and today was "Sports Day."  Here I am with one of our residents.

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing

sr.christinaosf

Getting dolled up for tomorrow's "Patriotic Day" as we continue our celebration of "St. Anne's Week.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, eyeglasses and closeup

sr.christinaosf

"Let My People Go!"

Nine hours later, the melody is still coming back to haunt me!

This “Negro Spiritual,” recommended to me by a friend for the occasion, was perfect to accent the reading and get people more engaged in this morning’s weekly Bible study which I lead for our residents.

It was suggested because we’re studying Moses and the Exodus.  Instead of just reading and discussing the scriptures (valuable as that is), I like to use music and/or an activity to enhance these gatherings.  Read more...

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

Here's the latest post:: https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com/2017/08/04/to-make-our-people-happy/

Also, might I ask you, in regard to sharing posts from Our Franciscan Fiat would you prefer that:

a). I don't post here at all

b). I simply post the link

c).  I post the first paragraph or so with a link to read more

d). I post the entire article

Thank you.

sr.christinaosf

E-I-E-I-O

It wasn’t what you would call a typical Bible Study/Faith Sharing Group this morning!

At one point, a person could walk into the room and hear some rather unconventional lyrics being sung to the old melody of “Old McDonald Had a Farm.”  That poor elderly agriculturalist would turn over in his grave if he heard our version, invented to correlate with today’s scripture study on the Ten Plagues.  Read more

sr.christinaosf

My St. Clare Connection

IMG_2207.JPG
Statue of St. Clare – at my Novitiate Reception

Nine years ago today, on the Feast of St. Clare, I professed my first vows in Hankinson at our Provincial House!

What a special day!

St. Clare, in fact, has been special to me for some time.  Not only was I received as a novice READ MORE