An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts from a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

Student Leadership Summit Reflection

“Jesus is the soul of our apostolate” and we are “made for mission” are some messages ringing in my mind after participating in the Student Leadership Summit (SLS20) sponsored by FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students)...

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

A Baptism Party!

Why is a Franciscan Sister writing about a baptism party on a cold January morning, you might ask. I realize that this title may seem strange to my readers. As a matter of fact...

• 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

Every once and a while, I try to reach out and get thoughts and feedback from readers of Our Franciscan Fiat.
I invite you to fill out this form and share your thought: https://form.jotform.com/51826230614146

• 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

Saturday Schedule

Working in the long term care sector requires weekend work. Here at St. Anne's, most staff alternate weekends; they work one weekend and have the next one off. This is true, as a rule, for aides, dietary staff, nu... Catholic, Franciscan Sisters,...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

Transitions

This afternoon, the moment arrived, which had seemed to be looming somewhere in the distance: the time to remove all of the poinsettias from our chapel.

They'd been there for two months, since Christmas, and were still doing alright.  There was no botanical malady causing their demise; flowers are not allowed for church décor during Lent (except for on a few special occasions), so this Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras was slated to be their last day to enjoy the warmth and beautiful home our chapel offered...

sr.christinaosf

http://ndfranciscans.org/fiat/involuntary-lenten-penance

I know that, as faithful Catholics, we're urged to undertake some form of voluntary penance during the days of Lent (Sundays and probably solemnities not included).  As kids, we were introduced to the practice of "giving up something" for Lent.  I can remember saving up the restricted item to relish...

sr.christinaosf

http://ndfranciscans.org/fiat/chili-for-breakfast

I just finally got my strength and energy back after having been sick with an ugly bug.  I'd guess that you might say it was just in time! 

Last night, a staff member from the night shift was not able to make it into work, and none of the others from that department were available to fill in for her.  (There are always two staff members scheduled at night.)  Thus it was that I worked here until 5 a.m., rather than getting off duty at 10 last night.