An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts from a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

Santa Maria Maggiore

This morning at Office, we observed the optional memorial of the dedication of the Roman basilica of St. Mary Major, or in Italian, “Santa Maria Maggiore.” In recent months, at our local convent, we’ve enjoyed watching various videos from the...

• 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

I Think That’s Enough for a While!

It’s been another busy week around here, and we’re not even through hump day yet! Now, during this pandemic, things seem to be more crazy and unpredictable than normal. A year ago, I’d have never believed that I would be monitoring temperatures...

sr.christinaosf

Dispelling Myths and Misconceptions

When I was down at our Provincial house earlier in the month, I helped a fair amount in the convent library, working with A/V materials. A CD caught my eye. Entitled “Myths & Misconceptions Concerning Vocations,” it was by a Norbertine priest,.

• 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

Claver Connection

Although he's not a patron of mine, or a saint of our Franciscan order, today's memorial of St. Peter Claver has resonated with me during my adult life. On this feast, which I also remember as the birthday of the sister of my best friend from...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

"Before the Foundation of the World"

As I sat in chapel yesterday morning, reading over the scripture readings for Mass, one phrase especially struck me: " ...he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world..." This passage from Ephesians (1:1-10) explains how God our Father...

sr.christinaosf

Looking at the Numbers

We’ve been hearing a lot about numbers lately: numbers of COVID cases, numbers of early voters, numbers of inches of snow falling around the area (yuck)…One source estimates that, each winter a septillion snowflakes fall in our country! Numbers are...

sr.christinaosf

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!

I guess I was a week ahead of myself! This morning, when I read over the readings for Mass for my meditation, I had the ribbon of the little missal I use in the 31st Week of Ordinary Time. The readings spoke of counting worldly things as loss for...

• 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

These Hands

A week and a half ago, I spent some time in the afternoon (after finishing my shift at the reception desk and attending resident care conferences) cutting up some bread. We had received a large donation of day-old Panera breads of all kinds: sour...

sr.christinaosf

I would really appreciated people's feedback about this blog.  I've found myself wondering if it is becoming boring or repetative to people.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, sr.christinaosf said:

I would really appreciated people's feedback about this blog.  I've found myself wondering if it is becoming boring or repetative to people.

Thanks.

First things first: thank you for continuously sharing about your life as a sister.

As someone normally reading nearly every of sisters I can get hold of, I find your thoughts interesting, but I'm kind of turned away by the thumbnails to be read here in the phorum. It might be just me, but I'm not particularly interested in sisters cutting bread. ;)

pax et bonum! 

I like the blog and really liked the quote from St Therese, which is a consolation to those of us (me) who do know we must appear before Jesus with empty hands asking that He please not count our works ... rather the love with which we work at what we do. I liked too how you tied it in with The Gospel from Sunday and especially @cappie's homily........about trust.  I liked too especially this:

"Her (St Therese of Lisieux) humble, trusting attitude is something for us to really think about and seek to emulate"  because it ties in for those out here in the laity and how our humble work and duties during our days can be offered to Him too with confidence and trust.  We(me) need all the encouragement we can get.  In the humble nature of so many lives (mine) we need to be able to be encouraged that Jesus accepts the humble offering of the work and duties He has given to each of us to do in each of our days , and accepts with gratitude and love the most humble of offerings we give with love of Him.  Coupled with that, I think that your blog would be of interest in those considering religious life especially for those seeking a simple life.  Your way of life reminds me of St Benedict's motto "ora et labora ("pray and work").

We out here in the laity can pray and offer our work too.

I like the little gems of encouragement like the above that appear in your blog now and then.  Thanks Sister.  I don't find it boring.  I love the ordinary everyday simplicity of it.   I wasn't around for quite a while. I came down with a nasty dose of pneumonia (but didn't know it!) which triggered a quite serious episode of bipolar.  Back together now - I think and hope :) 

Oh dear, where on earth was I when Jesus handed out conciseness and to the point!  In the talking que, still talking, I am sure.

11 hours ago, Lea said:

but I'm kind of turned away by the thumbnails to be read here in the phorum

Good point.