Sign in to follow this  
sr.christinaosf

Thoughts from a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

We Still Have a Candle!

Last night, as we were finishing vespers (Evening Prayer) in our chapel, the burning sanctuary lamp caught my eye. Although it was as simple thing (a candle in a red globe mounted on a wall), it was rich in meaning. The little flame spoke volumes,...

sr.christinaosf

http://ndfranciscans.org/fiat/traditions-with-a-twist

What a Holy Week!

Over the past nine years, I have become accustomed to a very busy, pressured Holy Week as I work to set up and organize for liturgies in our chapel at St. Anne’s.  Our first year of doing this (after Sr. Annella left for health reasons) was especially daunting, as we strove to figure out what...

sr.christinaosf

Singing Alleluia!

This morning, during the Mass live-streamed from the local parish church, my ears delighted on hearing the notes of the "Easter Alleluia," as Sister Elaine calls it. (This particular musical... 

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

We Get a (real) Garden!

The spot were the trailer now is will be built up with soil for our garden.

Our dietary department is starting to have problems getting some food items normally on the menu here at St. Anne's, particularly certain meats and vegetables...

sr.christinaosf

This afternoon, while working the front desk, Sister Elaine mentioned to me: “No mail tomorrow.”

“That’s right,” it dawned on me…“Tomorrow’s Memorial Day, a national holiday, so there will be no mail.”

I practically jumped for joy; I guess my feet did actually leave the floor. I was so...

http://ndfranciscans.org/fiat/jumping-for-joy

sr.christinaosf

http://ndfranciscans.org/fiat/collecting-precious-metals

I've been meaning to write this for a while, now.  (It's been a couple of weeks since I've posted here last.) 

Hovewever, since returning from Retreat at our provincial house in Hankinson, I haven't had much spare time.

I wanted share with you from my experience of "collecting precious metals," as I dubbed an experience I had with Sister 

sr.christinaosf

http://ndfranciscans.org/fiat/going-downtown

This afternoon, when I got off work at the front desk, I had one destination in mind - Poppler's Music!
We are promised a new (to us) Baldwin piano, and I’m itching to get it in and try it out! 
In the meantime, I got permission to order a book of large print hits from the ‘60s, which promises to bring much enjoyment to us at St. Anne's on quiet Sunday after...

sr.christinaosf

Thanks Be to God!

This morning, as we finished the first Mass at St. Anne’s since March 18th, the closing response seemed especially appropriate! Due to the ban on visitation in light of COVID-19, St. Patrick’s Day was the last time we were actually able to have...

sr.christinaosf

Don’t Change Things Up!

This afternoon, one of my co-workers asked if we had an old wire coat hanger around. She’d locked herself out of her car, and wanted to pick the lock. (I must confess, I don’t know how that’s done.) I lit up…I knew just the thing! I’ve kept an...

sr.christinaosf

All on the Altar

Is it just me, or have the last three and a half months been especially challenging, stretching us in unprecedented ways? This has definitely been my experience, in more ways than one. Working in a long-term care setting at this time can certainly...

Antigonos

What I find amazing is that quite a few people have found that being sequestered at home with family was a much more positive experience than they had thought it would be, some even regretting having to go back to work!  Certainly my husband and I spent much more time together than we had in a long time.

OTOH, there have been many reports that families already in stress did not do well. Domestic violence and child abuse, unfortunately, seem to have increased.

sr.christinaosf

"We Hold a Treasure"

This morning at Mass, I happened to look up after Communion to see Father purifying the sacred vessels, the chalice and ciborium, just used to hold the precious Body and Blood of the Lord. (As I type this, I am awed by the mere thought!) (I am...