An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts from a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf
3 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

I like the blog and really liked the quote from St Therese, which is a consolation to those of us (me) who do know we must appear before Jesus with empty hands asking that He please not count our works ... rather the love with which we work at what we do. I liked too how you tied it in with The Gospel from Sunday and especially @cappie's homily........about trust.  I liked too especially this:

"Her (St Therese of Lisieux) humble, trusting attitude is something for us to really think about and seek to emulate"  because it ties in for those out here in the laity and how our humble work and duties during our days can be offered to Him too with confidence and trust.  We(me) need all the encouragement we can get.  In the humble nature of so many lives (mine) we need to be able to be encouraged that Jesus accepts the humble offering of the work and duties He has given to each of us to do in each of our days , and accepts with gratitude and love the most humble of offerings we give with love of Him.  Coupled with that, I think that your blog would be of interest in those considering religious life especially for those seeking a simple life.  Your way of life reminds me of St Benedict's motto "ora et labora ("pray and work").

We out here in the laity can pray and offer our work too.

I like the little gems of encouragement like the above that appear in your blog now and then.  Thanks Sister.  I don't find it boring.  I love the ordinary everyday simplicity of it.   I wasn't around for quite a while. I came down with a nasty dose of pneumonia (but didn't know it!) which triggered a quite serious episode of bipolar.  Back together now - I think and hope :) 

Oh dear, where on earth was I when Jesus handed out conciseness and to the point!  In the talking que, still talking, I am sure.

Good point.

I generally just post the first paragraph or so of the post; I don't know what a better option would be.

Perhaps some sort of 'hook' (I call it) to get people interested to read further.  For example from St Therese "empty hands" as a title and then the full quote from St Therese re empty hands.  Perhaps tie in the simplicity of your daily work, besides writing about it, with the simplicity of St Francis.  Perhaps the value of ordinary everyday work.  What I mean is, a theme rather than the first few lines of your blog.

Something like that.  It is only my opinion off the top of my head. We are all different and different things appeal to different people.   You can get a pretty good idea of the number of people accessing your blog through the count.  And if it works, don't break it. :) 

Mine is a case, Sister, of the butcher's block instructing the butcher!:hehe2:

sr.christinaosf
17 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Mine is a case, Sister, of the butcher's block instructing the butcher!:hehe2:

I don't know about that - and I like your ideas. :)

sr.christinaosf

Not sure if I'll get a blog post in this week...
It's busy and I'm feeling uninspired AGAIN :(
I have a big mailing to get out (annual advent letter) so prayers for that project would be appreciated. 
Thank you.

sr.christinaosf

Here's a little reflection on Advent practices and service...

"I Said the Donkey"

Around eight o'clock last night, I got back to the house after a stressful and challenging day. As I was putting my used mask into my "Dirty Masks Bag," and settling in, I heard that Sr. Jean Louise was on the phone. According to custom, she had...

Edited by sr.christinaosf

• 2 weeks later...

Your prayers for a stressed sacristan would be appreciated. 

:amen:

Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Amen.

A very old and beautiful aspiration I recall from childhood.  I lost the plot today and cussed and then muttered to myself "Just as well I didn't stay in religious life!"

I do hope you can get your chapel back very soon.

sr.christinaosf

Big Bang Theory

The past day or two, I've been home sick. As the saying goes, "Could be better...could be worse." Because of this, I haven't seen much more than my four walls since Tuesday afternoon. Having had some chills that left me wanting to hunker down in...

sr.christinaosf

"Do Not Be Afraid!"

These words have been striking me in recent days... Sunday's gospel told of the angel's appearance to Mary, and his subsequent exhortation: "Do not be afraid..."  In a book I picked up for spiritual...

• 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

Please pray for us! 

I still don't have my energy back, and this is a very tough time for us in the long-term care sector.