An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters in Royal Blue Habits

Julie

Here's a little mystery, let's see who can solve it for me.

Today, the order of Malta is having some retreat thingie with Cardinal Burke at my college in Southern California. (That might give away where I go to school, but I don't really mind.) At Mass this morning, there was a sister wearing a royal blue habit. Just plain royal blue tunic, scapular, and veil. The veil was pretty long and came kind of low down on her forehead, and it was entirely blue, but seemed a little more structured than other "one peice" veils I've seen before, so maybe there were multiple peices in the same fabric. 

Anyways, Google searching has not helped me, and I thought someone here could. I would recognize the habit if I saw it (she came up to me in the chapel to ask whether we were in the chapel, so I got a good look, even though I didn't get the chance to chat with her.)

Nope. The tunic was a little longer, almost to the floor, and the veil had no white whatsoever (that was one of the striking things- I've never seen a habit that was purely one color.) 

That is the right blue, though.

There was some kind of wimple, or it was a simple veil ? Did you see the hairs ? 

I can't think of any community in full blue, really. 

Edited by NadaTeTurbe

Well, this is really vague, and I've searched for a while, but I'm apparently missing the key words.  I'm sure I've seen an all blue habit; the congregation is small from what I remember, have a priests/brothers version, offer retreats, and I think have a devotion to Maximillian Kolbe.  Maybe that will trigger something with another person and hopefully bring you an answer.

2 hours ago, Graciela said:

Perhaps these?  Handmaids of the Triune God, a public association of the faithful in southern California.

handmaids-triune-god

Actually, this might be right. I was pretty sure that the sleeves were different (also darker blue) but I could be wrong, because there was a sweater involved. :icey:  The rest is spot on, and also, though I'm not great with faces, the taller sister looks a little familiar. It also explains why I hadn't seen a habit like that before!

8 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Well, this is really vague, and I've searched for a while, but I'm apparently missing the key words.  I'm sure I've seen an all blue habit; the congregation is small from what I remember, have a priests/brothers version, offer retreats, and I think have a devotion to Maximillian Kolbe.  Maybe that will trigger something with another person and hopefully bring you an answer.

You're thinking about the Sisters minors of Mary Immaculate or the Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and Mary Immaculate. They were suppressed a few month ago (http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/112019-new-institute-of-franciscan-missionary-sisters/?page=4 ) 

13 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

You're thinking about the Sisters minors of Mary Immaculate or the Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and Mary Immaculate. They were suppressed a few month ago (http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/112019-new-institute-of-franciscan-missionary-sisters/?page=4 ) 

Hadn't even thought of them. Turns out I was thinking of the Daughters of the Immaculata who are based in Illinois. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=daughters+of+the+immaculata&safe=active&client=safari&hl=en&prmd=imnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA0MayvLDKAhUEyyYKHdr4AdYQ_AUICCgB#imgrc=4vXlMS5fhMmsUM%3A

• 4 years later...

Hello everyone. I am in the same situation. I am trying to find the religious order that wears this habit but internet is not helping. If any of you know it I would apreciate the help.

HMSRosa+(1).jpg

The ones with the Bishop are the Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa. Your second is Hesed, from (I think) Brazil.

Edited by Bonkira

1 hour ago, Sol said:

Hello everyone. I am in the same situation. I am trying to find the religious order that wears this habit but internet is not helping. If any of you know it I would apreciate the help.

HMSRosa+(1).jpg

Oh, I know these. They are the Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa located in Santa Rosa, CA. They are an active/contemplative order and do a lot with catechisms (classes, retreats, camps, etc.) An interesting note about them is that they attend both EF and OF Masses and are involved with both.