An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite associations question

vee

Im asking here because Im not finding much by googling.  Reading that select members of the various associations of cloistered nuns were in Rome for the closing of the year of consecrated life reminded me of something Id wondered about a bit but didnt pay much attention to and that is the subject of this thread.  Some of the associations have websites so I can get a bit of info from that but nothing satisfying.  I can read the year they formed but they dont say much more.  They (well some associations do and some dont) have meetings every few years but I am unclear as to the purpose.  Anyone have any further explanation on the history and purpose of the associations?  Thank you!

Edited by vee
typo

graciandelamadrededios

Pope Pius XII promulgated the Apostolic Constitution "Sponsa Christi" in 1950 proposing that all contemplative women in autonomous monasteries throughout the world form federations for reasons of mutual help and reduce isolation.

All over the world, the nuns responded to the proposal and some formed federation and some formed association (less formal / structured).  Carmels in the USA participated (not all monasteries) but the proposal of either association nor federation did not push through until 1970's. 

The Poor Clare Colettines, however, formed their own federation as early as June 8, 1959 - Federation of Mary Immaculate in the USA.

Mother Maravillas of Jesus, now a saint, was ready to follow Rome with the proposal of forming federations but when she asked the Superior General at that time, Fr. Silverio of St. Teresa, she was told that it was not necessary for Carmels but the it was really intended for Poor Clares, particularly in Europe where many monasteries struggled after WWII.

After Vatican II, Carmels with the help of the friars, slowly formed association throughout the world.  If I am not mistaken, the first is CCA.

In the USA, the first was CCA - if my memory servers me right.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios