An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual director's advice

Mary Catherine

MarysLittleFlower

I agree bad SDs can do much damage .. And that it's important we find a good one. I guess what I mean is that if ours is good, we don't need to live in fear that he would make an error, we can just trust :) I've found when I start analyzing if my SD is right or not, something just feels off about that. 

That's basically all I mean, lol, and also that Mary's SD doesn't sound strange to me. I think I've said all I wanted lol :)

veritasluxmea
12 hours ago, MarysLittleFlower said:

Ok! :) many good points there... I think my SD does fit this description - I just skimmed it. I notice it says not to put things in writing.... I have anxiety talking about some more interior things and I've written them down before and it was much clearer that way what I was saying. My SD let me do this but always gave me the letters back. I think that's fine? I mean I was allowed. And it really helped. I am sure my priest would never leave them lying around. 

Mmm ok, I'm a little confused. To be blunt, are you serious? I'm probably wrong but I think I read somewhere you're around 30? I don't read everything around here but I've seen a fair number of your posts asking similar questions with a need for clarity. It pretty much seems like at least in the few situations I've read- including the one above- someone around that age should be able to easily understand and answer that question for themselves without any confusion or anxiety. Are you actually unsure from reading one general article about whether it's totally wrong to use writing with your SD, something he is fine with and you use as a tool for face-to-face meetings?

MarysLittleFlower

Veritasluxmea, I have scrupulosity. That makes some reasoning about the faith difficult. To be honest I feel like I constantly have to explain myself on these forums. I've been doing something that a guide for direction says not to do. That made me wonder why they say that, because to me it doesn't seem like a bad idea to do. 

Mary Catherine

It's amazing to receive so many replies regarding this topic, especially from religious sisters.

In my opinion, as it reads in the Bible the priests are man of God, and they are prophets and teachers for Israel people, so I do believe that priests convey the message of God. It is said in the church's tradition that you have to trust your confessor (SD) that what he said is God's will.

This is what I learned from my Catholic faith, and I do believe the truth will not change from time to time. I am just a convert in a communist country, so I know little about my faith actually. 

Besides, my spiritual director actually have few changes of saying Latin masses, more of the time he says Novus Ordo masses. But he is holy indeed, and I do believe the graces bestowed from him by the sacrament of holy orders. And moreover, I saw clearly that the holy spirit is working on him. :)

Dear sisters, please correct me if I am wrong.

Dear MarysLittleFlower, I am so happy to meet you here, are you a religious sister? I am indeed very bad, and needs conversion, appreciate all sisters here, your kind prayers. :) 

Edited by Mary Catherine

• beatitude locked and unlocked this topic
1 minute ago, Gabriela said:

Wait a minute. Wasn't this thread just locked?

I know right!  I jsut noticed and was going to post the same thing.  i saw beatitude lock it and now.....

IMHO I think this thread should be closed.  Again, it's a circular argument with a few persons wanting the group to agree with them no matter what.. It's getting rather frustrating reading (what seems to me to be) the same rationale over and over again for justifying views on different problems. I believe it defeats the purpose/s of VS.  We are becoming entropied as we keep discussing the same things over and over.  Just my 2 cents.

MarysLittleFlower
1 hour ago, Mary Catherine said:

It's amazing to receive so many replies regarding this topic, especially from religious sisters.

In my opinion, as it reads in the Bible the priests are man of God, and they are prophets and teachers for Israel people, so I do believe that priests convey the message of God. It is said in the church's tradition that you have to trust your confessor (SD) that what he said is God's will.

This is what I learned from my Catholic faith, and I do believe the truth will not change from time to time. I am just a convert in a communist country, so I know little about my faith actually. 

Besides, my spiritual director actually have few changes of saying Latin masses, more of the time he says Novus Ordo masses. But he is holy indeed, and I do believe the graces bestowed from him by the sacrament of holy orders. And moreover, I saw clearly that the holy spirit is working on him. :)

Dear sisters, please correct me if I am wrong.

Dear MarysLittleFlower, I am so happy to meet you here, are you a religious sister? I am indeed very bad, and needs conversion, appreciate all sisters here, your kind prayers. :) 

Hi Mary, no I'm not a Sister, but I'm glad to meet you too, and I'm so happy you're a convert, I am too and my background is also from a communist country. God bless you :)

IMHO I think this thread should be closed.  The argument is a circular one with a one or two people insisting they are correct ....no matter what.  We're becoming entropied and need to move on.

I did lock it but then decided I should consult with another moderator first. I will re-lock it now, as debate is out of place for Vocation Station anyway.

• beatitude locked this topic