An Old School Catholic Message Board

For lovers of old Holy Cards

Feankie

While fooling around on the internet tonight (instead of doing more packing) I found a site with gorgeous old Holy Cards, like the ones my grandma used to have.  Apparently they rotate in and out as the Church year ebbs and flows.  It's a beautiful site if you like all things old.

holycardheaven.blogspot.com

I'm not fond of them... I have a preference for the reproduction of artworks from the middle age/Renaissance (Fra Angelico, etc...), over this kind of art. Specially for children, it's better to teach them real art and beauty instead of this... As you can see, a lot of the french one have been made in "St Sulpice", a church in Paris. It's what in french we call "l'art sulpicien", i.e the religious art that was made in the XIXth century. A lot of them have been made in factory instead of being paint by religious sisters. I had a big collection of holy cards from this time, I gave them all to a traditionnalist family who loved them, they gave me a book about medieval religious art, and everyone was happy. The only thing that I like with these cards is the thought of generation of catholic having faith, learning to pray, and finding comfort in them. This french blog have a lot of them : http://imagessaintes.canalblog.com/

9 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

I'm not fond of them... I have a preference for the reproduction of artworks from the middle age/Renaissance (Fra Angelico, etc...), over this kind of art. Specially for children, it's better to teach them real art and beauty instead of this... As you can see, a lot of the french one have been made in "St Sulpice", a church in Paris. It's what in french we call "l'art sulpicien", i.e the religious art that was made in the XIXth century. A lot of them have been made in factory instead of being paint by religious sisters. I had a big collection of holy cards from this time, I gave them all to a traditionnalist family who loved them, they gave me a book about medieval religious art, and everyone was happy. The only thing that I like with these cards is the thought of generation of catholic having faith, learning to pray, and finding comfort in them. This french blog have a lot of them : http://imagessaintes.canalblog.com/

Huh. The oozing innocence makes sense now. It was the Victorian age. Thanks, Nada!