An Old School Catholic Message Board

What is the name of this sister ?

NadaTeTurbe

NadaTeTurbe

She was a REligious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in the time of their founding. She was sent by Sophie Barrat to evangelize the Indians in the United States. So she went. In the beginning, she worked in a city, but after a few years, she taught indians girls. Very courageous women. She died in the US. She's not a Saint, or blessed, or venerable. I read about her life at the library and now that I'm home I can't remember her name. 

( @Sister Leticia since it's your congregation...) 

Marie Villalovos Smith

St. Rose Philippine Duchesne is the one that come to mind for me. Her feast day is November 18th. I don't no of anyone else. You said she was send my Sophie Barrat and St. Rose is the first one to come to mind.  Pax 

NadaTeTurbe

It isn't her, but she lived at the same time, I remember reading that she met with St Rose Philippine. Thanks for your answer ! 

Sister Leticia

I can't think of anyone other than Philippine (although she was officially Rose Philippine, she is Philippine in the family, not Rose, just as St Madeleine Sophie is Sophie, never Madeleine)

Philippine came from Grenoble and joined the Society 4 years after it began, and headed the small group of RSCJ who went to the US in 1818. She mostly worked running schools, but did spend a year living with the Potawatami.

Several other RSCJ came from France to the US after Philippine, so maybe you're thinking of one of them. None of them came from the very early days of the Society, and I'm not sure how much time they spent with native Americans. The most high profile one I can think of was Mother Elizabeth Galitzin, a Russian princess, who went to the US I think in the 1840s. Can you remember other details, such as the sister's early life?

Unfortunately, I don't have a biography of Philippine to hand to check, and I don't know the history of the US RSCJ as well as I know the history of the Society in my own country. So I'll ask @McM RSCJ to help out, as she is American :) 

Sponsa-Christi
49 minutes ago, Sister Leticia said:

I can't think of anyone other than Philippine (although she was officially Rose Philippine, she is Philippine in the family, not Rose, just as St Madeleine Sophie is Sophie, never Madeleine)

I'm just curious, what is the history or custom behind this convention with names?

Sister Leticia

RSCJ have never changed their names from their baptismal names - they were known as Mother or Sister Surname. Officially, Sophie and Philippine were Mother Barat and Mother Duchesne, and on legal documents they'd have used their full names, but now in the Society  - unless we're talking about them formally - we call them by the names their families had always called them.

It's less common nowadays, but people do still get called by their middle name, especially if their first name is already held by other relatives. I once worked with two men known as John - but in reality they were Charles John and Michael John!

I found these names related to the order do not know if one of them is recognizable by you.

Notable members[edit]

Edited by das8949
left off information

Sister Leticia
4 hours ago, das8949 said:

I found these names related to the order do not know if one of them is recognizable by you.

Notable members[edit]

The third name is Elizabeth Galitzin in the original Russian.

Janet Stuart was English, though much-loved throughout the international Society, you can read more about her on our website http://www.societysacredheart.org.uk/AboutUs/Ourstorytradition/JanetStuart.aspx

Aloysia Hardey was an American, who expanded the Society throughout the continent, and you can read more about her on their website https://rscj.org/who-we-are/heritage/mary-aloysia-hardey

Mary Braganza is still alive, and in her 90s. She was one of the first to join the Society in India. Those first vocations came to England to make their novitiate, and I remember meeting her a couple of time when she visited England, for example in the year of her golden jubilee.

NadaTeTurbe

I finally found her, Sister Lucile Mathevon . A found a google book who shows the letters exchanged between the first RSCJ in the United States. Began to read it, and around page 150 : it was her ! She isn't very well known. She lived and worked with St Rose Philippine, St Sophie Barrat, etc... Came from a middle-class family in rural France. Spend years teaching in an american city before being able to teach indian girl. Thanks ! 

Edited by NadaTeTurbe

When Mother Barat sent Mother Duchesne to The New World, she sent a group of five religious - three choir nuns (addressed as Mother Last Name) and two non-choir nuns (addressed as Sister Last Name). The non-choir sisters generally did not teach - they tended to do the laundry, the housekeeping, the cooking, etc. However, on the frontier in St. Charles and Florissant, Mother Duchesne did a lot of that kind of work, too. The original group included:

1. Mother (Philippine) Duchesne

2. Mother (Eugenie) Aude (accent egue should be over the E)

3. Mother (Lucille) Mathevon

4. Sister (Octavie) Berthold

5. Sister (Catherine) Lamarre

• 3 years later...

Lucile Mathevon, RSCJ (Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus). She and 6 other RSCJ worked most of their lives with the Pottawatomie tribe and died in St. Mary's Mission. in Kansas. The are buried in Mount Calvary Cemetery (Jesuit cemetery). Their headstone is under an old cedar tree. Their names are engraved (mispelled) in the headstone. They were Mother Lucille Mathevon, (+1876); Mother Mary Ann O'Connor, (+1864); Sister Louise Amiotte, (+1857); Mother Catherine Regan,  (+1868); Sister. Mary Layton,  (+1876); Mother Rose Boyle, (+1877); and Mother Julia Deagan. 

I am a Sacred Heart alumna and I'm  very proud of these RSCJ.